Home

Mac Modding troubles (Don't flame me)

Smurfinablender

Ok. So before I start, let me say I have spent 2 days, and about 6 combined hours researching this.

I figured out how to install mods on Morrowind (Took a good amoutn of time to figure that out too) and figured that the Mac port for Kotor wouldn't be hard either. I was wrong.

1. Couldn't find the override folder anywhere. As far as I could tell, the best location for it is within the KOTOR data folder.

2. Made an override folder and used a mod to get a new head skin in the game. This was ambitious as it was a male Twi'lek head, not just a re "skin" over one of the already provided meshes.

3. After constant hours, and moving the override folder around to make sure it wasn't in the wrong place I gave up. Thus ends last night.

4. Today, determined little bugger that I am, I continued my google-searches and read through a lot of threads on this board that somewhat pertained to the topic but not quite.

5. I decided that because I can't run .exe installers and I've been manually applying things, I would continue to download other Mods and see if one of them could give me ANYTHING. I found some mod, which looked amaturely done, but figured if anyone would do a mod without the installer it would be that. I downloaded it, and sure enough it was just files. I was in business. I put the items in the override folder and again begin the task of moving it, starting the game, testing, failing, moving it. Until I moved it back to the KOTOR Data folder. I then crashed the game!

Now why would crashing the game mean anything? Well, I didn't get that Mod to work, but if the game crashed because it was in the override folder, I figured that the game was IN FACT reading the override folder, and the other mods, that used the installer were missing some piece to be finished.

All this comes to say, are there any ways around the mod-installer, or a manual way to apply each of the items to folders? Like I said, I manually applied morrowind mods, and I have a fairly high knowledge of how Macs work, I just want to figure out how to play as a male Twi'lek.

For an over look of how the hierarchy works on my mac:

KOTOR -

*Show Package Contents

Contents -

_Code Signature / _MASReceipt / CodeResources (file) / Frameworks / info.plist (file) / KOTOR Data / MacOS / pkginfo / Resources

*Inside KOTOR Data file -

chitin.key (file) / data / dialog.tlk / lips / modules / movie / OVERRIDE(I placed this file here) / Patch.erf (file) / rims / streammusic / streamsounds / streamwaves / TexturePacks

Now I know this is probably ridiculously too much information but I want to be as thorough as I can so we don't spend seven posts just trying to certify that I am in fact on a Mac, and I am in fact playing Kotor, and I am NOT in fact crazy for thinking modding on a mac is actually a good idea. :thmbup1:

Thanks to anyone that can help. I feel I've gotten close, just not close enough.

On macs the override goes in the folder "Knights of the Old Republic" you do not need to show contents and navigate to the Data folder.

On my mac the Kotor folder has:

The App, Override, data, streamwaves, modules, TexturePacks, streamsounds, streammusic, rims, lips. chitin.key, dialog.tlk, patch.erf, movies, KOTOR Version History.rtf

Unless this is the app store version of the game, that is where your override should be. If this is from the app store, I've heard there were some weird glitches and other things with the app.

If you don't mind posting a link to the mod I can see if I have any trouble on my end.

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

So I bought the Mac app store version of this and had the same question, so I thought I would see what I could find out since others might have the same questions. Through some trial and error this is what I have found so far...

The Override folder goes in application package itself. You need to right click on the application an select "Show Package Contents"

to see this file structure:

Knights of the Old republic>Content>KOTOR Data>Override

You will need to make an override folder to go here. It does not come with. Because it is in the package you will need to authenticate as an administrator to place it there.

I find that making the override folder elsewhere first then making an alias to it then moving the override folder to the right place allows me to drop stuff into the alias without constantly opening the app's package. This handy if you are going to be messing around with it some.

Here is the odd bit though. It seems as though straight up texture changes work fine in this version (PC head changes, item texture swaps, etc) but so far I have not been able to see any changes with 2da files or models. They just don't seem to have an affect. Also some model files seem to cause a crash. Not sure why. others don't.

The save games and swkotor.ini are stored in the different location:

[user]>Library>Application Support>Knights of the Old Republic>

I have successfully opened and edited save games with KSE so that part seems to work fine so far.

Things I have not tried yet...

Seeing if KOTOR tools will open anything.

Seeing if the TSLpatcher will install mods that work.

I will update this when i try those things

UPDATE:

Tried installing several PC head mods with success using the TSLpatcher. Here is how:

I moved the KOTOR Data folder from inside the Knights of the Old Republic app package. I did this so that it could be seen in the file structure of the windows emulator I am using. (for me I placed it in my documents folder since my emulator sees this as a shared drive) In my case the emulator I am using is either Virtual Box or a wine app called Winloader. Using one of these I ran the TSL exe file for the mod. When it asked me where the game directory was I browsed to the location where the KOTOR Data folder was. The TSL patcher did the rest.

Once the install was done I moved the KOTOR data folder back to its former spot inside the Knights of the Old Republic app package. I have to say I was surprised when i ran it that all the new heads from the mod showed up in character creation and no crashes. For some reason this method also made the models and 2da files work. SO my previous statement about them not working seems not to apply in this case.

So while i have not tried the specific mod mentioned above It should work using this method.

I still have not tried KOTOR tools yet. Also Have not tried any content mods. I will see about those next.

Bull

Further UPDATE

I installed several content mods. They seemed to install correctly so far.

I have used KOTOR tools now. I have not been able to see the game file structure. I think that requires a registry fix which I have not done yet. However I have been able to open 2da files and gff files that were already in my override folder and edit them successfully.

Final update.

Using the registry fix from Mithran found here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=203749

I was able to get KOTOR tool to open KOTOR and extract textures etc. This was even with the App Store version of the game. I still had to move the KOTOR Data folder out of the Application package then move it back after but it works.

• 1 month later...

Bull,

That's a great help. I also found that most model changes (armor, clothing, weapon, masks) make the game crash. The only models I've been successfully able to integrate are lightsaber models from Jorn's KotOR lightsaber pack. Those work great without even using the patcher, but just moving the files (I started with a clean Override and didn't have any conflicting .2da files).

So after you moved the KOTOR Data folder out of the package and ran the TSL patcher mods and model mods, did the models that caused a crash before work alright? It wasn't perfectly clear from your post. :)

Also, when I try moving the above-mentioned folder out of the package, it begins a lengthy process of copying it instead of moving it (it doesn't happen in the reverse direction). How did you get around that?

And finally, I use CrossOver to install TSL patcher mods, and it can find the KOTOR Data folder even inside the package and install things into the Override (but not elsewhere since the other folders require authentication). Do you think the result is the same when I just run the installers and navigate to the package folder, or should I move it first and then run the patcher just to be sure?

Thanks

Bull,

That's a great help. I also found that most model changes (armor, clothing, weapon, masks) make the game crash. The only models I've been successfully able to integrate are lightsaber models from Jorn's KotOR lightsaber pack. Those work great without even using the patcher, but just moving the files (I started with a clean Override and didn't have any conflicting .2da files).

So after you moved the KOTOR Data folder out of the package and ran the TSL patcher mods and model mods, did the models that caused a crash before work alright? It wasn't perfectly clear from your post. :)

Also, when I try moving the above-mentioned folder out of the package, it begins a lengthy process of copying it instead of moving it (it doesn't happen in the reverse direction). How did you get around that?

And finally, I use CrossOver to install TSL patcher mods, and it can find the KOTOR Data folder even inside the package and install things into the Override (but not elsewhere since the other folders require authentication). Do you think the result is the same when I just run the installers and navigate to the package folder, or should I move it first and then run the patcher just to be sure?

Thanks

After I started using the TSL patcher the model files no longer crashed the game. Oddly enough it even seems like after that moving model files in manually started working. I actually think this may be that some of the model files "file type" may have not been recognized until this event.

I saw that copy folder thing happen once or twice. I think it might be where you are trying to copy it too. I found that sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. It may depend on the folder permissions for the folder you are trying to copy to. I also moved the whole application out of the applications folder so that might have helped.

As for your last point. I have not been able to do it that way so I can not say it for sure. That may cause authentication problems. You might try it both ways and see.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hey!!

So i need help...im not much of a tech person but i love my games modded. I just got a Macbook upgraded to Mountain Lion. And bought the appstore version of the game.

Last time i played kotor was on my old mac and i bought a digital download of it for mac. And i dont ever remember running into any difficulties with mods.

So anyway I remembered i needed an Overwrite folder...but i couldnt find it ANYWHERE! so after some detective work on the interweb :) i found this lucas arts forum detailing how to make the overwrite folder! YAY! PROBLEM SOLVED!! :)

So i downloaded my mods...

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Darth_Bandon_Style_Clothing;97740

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Power_Overwhelming;111889

...and started the game! yay! at first glance it seemed to work...the power overwhelming mod showed up perfectly...but everytime i put on darth bandons clothes the game would crash....AND ITS BEEN A LIVING HELL EVER SINCE!!! I cant figure this out and its so frustrating....i know there is something im not doing but i cant figure it out! every mod that changes an appearence causes the game to crash!

I hope someone will read this and be smart and nice enough to help!!

Hmm, I've never had a problem with the mac version of KotOR. Another reason why I didn't install ML.

You ever try running KotOR through a VM? It's a lot easier... >.> Plus you have much more latitude in terms of which mods you want to install; on macs, the only mods that you can install are pretty much skins, as almost everything else requires TSLPatcher.

Omg! Thank you so much for responding! I was worried that nobody would respond since it had been like almost a year...

Ok so What is VM?! ( I'm sorry :\ u probably think I'm annoying) and if I ran it through "VM" what would I have to do to make it work?

Also I've tried finding the TSL patcher...? I'm really not good at this stuff do I didn't know how to or where to download it!! I thought I downloaded it but for some reason my Mac wouldn't open it.... :(

I know your busy...but any advice/guidance would be SUPER appreciated!!! Like I'd buy u all a HAPPY MEAL!...or something way more wonderful to show my graditute!

Ok so What is VM?! ( I'm sorry :\ u probably think I'm annoying) and if I ran it through "VM" what would I have to do to make it work?

Also I've tried finding the TSL patcher...? I'm really not good at this stuff do I didn't know how to or where to download it!! I thought I downloaded it but for some reason my Mac wouldn't open it.... :(

TSLPatcher does not work on a Mac - maybe I didn't make that clear last time. This is because the TSLPatcher is an .exe file; only Windows or Windows emulators can use those files. This is where the VM comes in.

If you have a copy of Windows, you can install it on your mac via VM/Virtual Machine (try VirtualBox.. BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE A WINDOWS OS AT HAND. Otherwise, don't bother.) Afterwards, within that virtual machine - if you have a Windows version of KotOR - you can install and run your game smoothly - with all the mods you want, as long as you install them correctly.

If you don't have a Windows available, once again, forget about the whole VM business. I don't have Mt. Lion, but I think that may be the problem - because I'm running Lion, and I ran KotOR with the mods you listed just fine. But that's just my perception. For now, tell me what graphics card your Mac runs with.

Click the Apple in the top left of your toolbar > About This Mac > More Info... Take a look at your graphics.

TSLPatcher does not work on a Mac - maybe I didn't make that clear last time. This is because the TSLPatcher is an .exe file; only Windows or Windows emulators can use those files. This is where the VM comes in.

If you have a copy of Windows, you can install it on your mac via VM/Virtual Machine (try VirtualBox.. BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE A WINDOWS OS AT HAND. Otherwise, don't bother.) Afterwards, within that virtual machine - if you have a Windows version of KotOR - you can install and run your game smoothly - with all the mods you want, as long as you install them correctly.

If you don't have a Windows available, once again, forget about the whole VM business. I don't have Mt. Lion, but I think that may be the problem - because I'm running Lion, and I ran KotOR with the mods you listed just fine. But that's just my perception. For now, tell me what graphics card your Mac runs with.

Click the Apple in the top left of your toolbar > About This Mac > More Info... Take a look at your graphics.

OH! :(

Well i have a Nvidia Geforce 320m graphics card

Archived