Home

IRC and "violent" vidya

Totenkopf

This really just brings to my mind one single question...

Why is it, that anyone who brings these things up, tries to address some sort of violation of law when concerning fictional media? No matter what media brings you the story, no matter how interactive it is, one single thing should be always on your mind - it never actually happened. Maybe it did, if it was based on an actual event, but even then, any deviation of the actual event, any change based on the thoughts of the makers, should be taken as no more than that.

Not to mention, there is a reason that certain things appear in any form of media. Why? Well, if it happens in real life, then there is a good chance that someone might use it as an example(or simply inspiration) when writing a story.

Oh yes, let's have fps games and such that conform to international laws. Let's jerk with things behind the scenes to get what we want. We've got to get people used to the idea of following laws from a world government like the U.N. so let's teach the children through their entertainment. OH and while we're at it, why not put in recitations for some of these laws, and dick around with pseudo political messages.

Sounds like a fun game I wanna play!!!!!11!!!!~!!1!!! :D

:dozey:

It reminds of the days when Tipper Gore tryed to totally censor Heavy Metal and Rap, because some of the lyrics were too violent or immoral towards specific minorities or agencies.

Of course that's were it all started. They couldn't leave everything else alone, now it's television, movies and video games. I guess they just can't help themselves, in trying to control what we hear and see.

Yessir...your good old friendly moralist trying to help you out by deciding what's best for you while playing God. Hey thanks moralist friend, your a real pal. :dozey: You make my life so much better.

^^^Ah THOSE days. Yes, I do believe that was called the Parental Media Resource Center. Dave Mustaine of Megadeth wrote a song about it in fact. Of course it wasn't just about about this issue w.r.t. censorship, but the greater sense of freedoms threatened by people who will try to subvert everything.

Excerpt from...

F is for Fighting

R is for Red, Ancestor's blood, in battles they shed

E we elect them

E we eject them; this land of the free in home of the brave

D for your Dying

O' your Overture

M we'll cover your grave with Manure/is for Money--you know what THAT cures

This spells our freedom: it means nothing to me as long as there's a P.M.R.C.

Archived