Home

Mandalorian Appearance change?

Col_Zechs

Yes, but you would also have to put the texture names in those new appearance.2da slots and, at least with KotOR 1, hex edit the mandalorian model to put in your new texture. And when I say at least for KotOR 1, I mean you may find some .2da file to overwrite textures, as is the case with new heads in KotOR 2, but you will most likely have to hex edit.

Well after you've added the rows, changed the texture references in those rows and hex edited the model to your new custom texture, you have to edit the actual UTC file the Mandalorian NPC and change its appearance to your newly added row. It can be found in KotOR tool through this path (if you're using the Mandalorian Camp on Dxun)

KotOR II -> Rims -> Modules -> 403DXN_s.rim -> Blueprint, Character

However, more than likely many of the Mandalorians use the same UTC files, so, if they do, you'll have to edit the UTC to have a custom tag/resref and edit the module's GIT to make every single Mandalorian unique.

By the way, if you're ever looking to do more modding these lists of modules and their corresponding identifiers is quite helpful:

KotOR 1

KotOR 2

All right, well, I took a look at the appearance.2da and it turns out you don't need to hex edit anything for the Mandalorians. So here's what you do:

1. Create your custom texture (Easiest way to do this would be to extract the already existing mandalorian texture and edit that)
  2. Change your texture's file name to whatever you wish, so long as it contains just as many characters as the old texture name
  3. Open up appearance.2da
  4. Find the row labeled Alien_Mandalorian_01
  5. Right click and copy that row
  6. Scroll all the way to the bottom of appearance.2da and right click and paste the row
  7. Change the Row Label number so it makes mathematical sense with the other rows (i.e. if you pasted a line with row label 3 after a line with a row label of 24, change the 3 to 25)
  8. Now that you've done that, change the line name (Alien_Mandalorian_01) to whatever you wish
  9. Next, scroll horizontally until you find the column labeled racetex
  10. Change the entry in this to column to whatever the file name of your custom skin is
  11. Save the appearance.2da
  12. Put the appearance.2da file and your new texture in the Override folder

All right, now that you've gotten the creation of the appearance done, it's time to mess around with the character files so they actually use that appearance. (Since this was created first as a guide for Col_Zechs we'll use Mandalorians from the 403DXN module)

1. Open up KotOR tool and go to the menu at the top
  2. Click on tools, then at the bottom of that pop-up list click on options
  3. Switch the tab to the "Other" tab in the box that pops up
  4. A list of boxes you can check should pop up, ensure that the box next to "Look in Game's Override Folder for 2DA Files" is checked. (This will save you some headache)
  5. Now, click okay and navigate to the KotOR II menu of KotOR tool
  6. Go to RIMS - Modules - 403DXN_s.rim - Blueprint, Character
  7. In that Blueprint, Character list you should see a bunch of UTC files
  8. Their file names should give you an indication of what character they're supposed to be, but if you're unsure just double click on one of them to open it and look at its name slot in the KotOR Tool UTC editor.
  9. For the sake of this tutorial let's grab a random Mandalorian off the list, say n_mandalorian002.UTC
  10. When the file opens it should be on the basic tab, and there should be several drop down menus that you can edit
  11. Find the menu labeled appearance and open it
  12. This will cause a list to drop down of a bunch of labels, scroll all the way to the bottom of that list to find your custom row. Click on it and then save the UTC file to somewhere on your computer (NOT THE OVERRIDE!!!!!)
  13. Now since there's a chance that this Mandalorian UTC file is used elsewhere in the game you don't want to stick it in the Override, that would cause some problems.
  14. Instead, download this tool by stoffe
  15. Once you have that downloaded, start it up
  16. Now there are three possible things you could do at this point, so I'll address them separately

If you wish to modify the base, vanilla game module (this will make this tweak harder to uninstall) navigate to the modules folder and use the ERF editor you just downloaded to open 403DXN_s.rim. This should bring up a whole list of stuff, but you needn't worry about that. Just click the 2nd button from the top on the right side of the ERF editor that looks like a paper being put in a folder. This should bring up a screen that allows you to add files to 403DXN_s.rim. Navigate to where you saved the UTC file for the mandalorian, plop it in and save the .rim file. This will ensure that the UTC will be changed (however, you must load a save before entering 403DXN in order for these changes to take effect)

If you have TSLRCM installed you can do exactly what you did in the post above. However, instead of opening up 403DXN_s.rim you can open up 403DXN.MOD.

If you don't have TSLRCM installed you probably don't have 403DXN.MOD in your modules folder. So, in order to rectify that problem, you need to create a 403DXN.MOD. To do this, navigate back to where you found the mandalorian UTC in KotOR tool. Minimize the list of Blueprint, Character and the list of 403DXN_s.rim. Now, just click on the name 403DXN_s.rim, then click on the button on the top of the list of buttons on the right of KotOR Tool. (This should say extract entire RIM file) I would suggest extracting to its own separate folder, as there are quite a lot of files. (However, do not extract it to the place where you put the Mandalorian UTC earlier, this will overwrite your custom UTC) Next, click on the label above 403DXN_s.rim, that is 403DXN.rim. Extract the entire RIM to the same place you extracted 403DXN_s.rim. Now, open up the ERF editor you downloaded earlier. Select File, New and save it as 403DXN to wherever you wish. (Make sure the file type is .MOD not .ERF) Once done, click the little folder and paper icon, navigate to where you extracted the 403DXN material, and put it all into your new .MOD file. Now save it. Throw that .MOD file into the modules folder and you'll be good to go. (As with the other two methods though, you'll need a save from before you entered the module)

Now I understand this is probably confusing, in no small part due to my inability to write a coherent tutorial, so if you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask.

I'm confused about the utc file appearance change part. It doesn't give me an option in the drop down menu when I open it up with Kotor Tool to change it to like Alien_Mandalorian_04 or so on? See here is how my appearance 2da file looks.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb370/DerangedAbominator/AppearanceSaveforMandalorians_zpsea616aee.png

This is too confusing can you please do it for me?

Sure, I can have it done sometime tomorrow.

Hex editing is a pain... just use GFF-editor. Type in the numerical value of the appearance and done...

Yes, it's THAT easy.

KOTOR Tool can't help you with custom skins, it will only read base OE/Bio files, not modified ones in override.

Well KotOR tool will detect any modified lines in the appearance.2da file that is in the override, if you set it to do that.

Archived