• A real desk at home
    • A real desk at work
    • On top of the washing machine
    • I have a computer you antiquated buffoon
    • Robots are stealing my post
    • I have an assistant who takes care of all that
    • Where I have beer

*(Goes uncharacteristically back on topic.)*

Here's my desk top while I'm in the process of working on a scratch-built model. Arista...is not necessarily the messiest of us. ;)

Creation_zpscb89a899.jpg

And, here's the model in sections. Primer coat on; ready for painting and final assembly.

Assembly20complete_zpsf3df5678.jpg

Finished. Behold the waste and sanitation ship I built for my Battlestar Galactica fleet:

Painted20and20finished_zpsd3f542c9.jpg

Here is the forward view, showing the flight deck and connection ports by which it takes on its noxious load.

Flight20deck_zps385663c4.jpg

Am I still on topic? :dozey: Who cares?

This is the forward half of the ship, consisting mainly of the septic tank. Curious note: the model kit I bashed to provide the septic tank was of the Chinese spaceship they launched a few years ago. F*ck you, China.

Sewage20and20control20section_zpsd372a486.jpg

Finally, here is the aft section, containing crew quarters and the less-noxious waste storage facilities.

Garbage20and20drive20section_zps9d2d6f9a.jpg

Overall, this is a long ship containing a waste processing plant forward and garbage stowage in the aft. The ship (which bears only the ID number 20) flies out to a space station or other large space craft and docks in the utility section, offloads the sewage--returning the clean and processed water--which it stores in the Chinese septic tank, and storing the more ordinary garbage in the bulky-looking cargo area. It then carries off the waste, never to be seen again.

:max: Yes, I built a garbage scow. Deal with it.

How to build a Zoom Rabbit style BSG civilian fleet spaceship.

1. Buy a dozen random model kits, put the pieces all in a giant box and mix them all together. Throw away the directions, but keep the decals as they might come in handy. (One can organize the pieces by size and shape the way I have, in removable clear plastic drawers, to keep things organized.)

2. Take apart a few random things like electic razors, lighters, cassette players and the like in your quest for parts. For example, in the forward view of my ship, there is a squarish module under the flight deck, directly above the number 20, which was the connector plug off the end of an old telephone line.

3. Smoke a phat one. If you're unsure about what this means, proceed to step 4.

4. Just start putting pieces together, using your imagination and superglue (gel.) Use exacto knives and emery boards to cut things to fit when necessary. Keep in mind a few basic principles about spacecraft design; everyone expects to see a flight deck or some other kind of place from which to control the ship, engines (duh,) a landing bay or docking hatch of some kind, and if your ship is intended to land on a planet, there should be landing gear. My sanitation ship is too large to land, so no landing gear.

5. Build in sections, so you will be able to handle the model while painting. Using spraypaint, give the whole thing its base coat. For space ships, I usually choose some shade of gray. Allow to dry overnight. Note the second photo.

6. Paint with a fine brush, and some appropriate colors. I've chosen only two other colors for this project. When dry (about 8 hours) you may apply decals. Whether using wet or dry transfer decals, just follow the directions and your imagination. If the decals were applied wet, you must wait an additional 8 hours before you spray with a good lacquer. I use a flat finish, but satin or glossy finishes are available. Note: don't skip the lacquer, but don't overdo it, also. A single protective coat of lacquer will protect the decals and paint from handling.

7. Let dry overnight. If impatient, use of a fan can cut drying times in half. At this point, I go and add my metallic colors because they stand out better unlacquered. To cheat, I use metallic sharpie markers like the silver and bronze ones visible in the third photo. Quick-drying and handling durable.

8. Now, glue the sections together, take photos and hang from the ceiling. Ta-daa! You're a spacecraft engineer. :dozey: Enjoy.

Mine is still messier! :D

Impressive though - how does one build a model? Are all the pieces already included in the kit or is the kit for making the individual pieces out of some material or another?

The kit contains many individual plastic pieces, which, when put together, make up the thing pictured on the box lid.

So true. The models I'm seeing in the stores now are already assembled and painted...in China. So few have the patience to do the work themselves, now. Model kits are getting hard to find; there is only one store within driving distance of me, and their kits are expensive.

I recently came across a treasure trove of old model kits that someone had started and then abandoned over the years. Some of the pieces had been painted already, but were all there. I happily paid $10 apiece for nine kits.

Thanks to the bulbous wheels of a WW2 mosquito bomber, I will now be able to build my agricultural ship...and my refugees won't starve out in space. :D

Archived