Home

Carrier landing

Zoom Rabbit

Just screwing around with apps for my tablet, I came across a couple of good flight simulators. Put out by 'Tri 1 Games,' they have unrealistic but nevertheless challenging takeoffs and landings. I've been wasting a lot of hours flying small planes and big jets around the Hawaiian islands, or up and down a bizarre version of Mount Everest that is curiously studded with runways.

The Hawaii simulation has an aircraft carrier out at sea, with an operable runway. The map here shows its location, marked by the airplane icon:

030814-1315002_zpsd807fcd6.jpg

The carrier appears to be accompanied by a destroyer with its own helicopter pad.

030814-1227_zps8f8d44fe.jpg

The game has a lot of aircraft to fly. For example, here is a blimp about to land:

030814-1312_zpse2e9bcc8.jpg

Here it is on the deck. Not a hard feat, since the blimp may be large, but it is easy to maneuver.

030814-1314_zpsda574459.jpg

Unlike the B-17. :max: Note that it's at the forward end of the ship; it takes the whole deck to slow down.

030814-1223_zpsf7c142de.jpg

But landing a prop plane is also not that difficult. Being a madman, I set the bar higher by trying land big commercial airliners on the carrier. So far, I haven't been able to land the Boeing 747 without crashing (I think the wings may be too wide, and impact the tower) but I have landed the 737.

030814-1340_zpsc3df4a5d.jpg

If anyone wants to try them and best my landings, here is the website. They appear to have a number of versions, perhaps even one for the apple-fearing Dr. mcCoy. ;) I challenge you to try, and post a photo of the screen as proof. Or a screenshot. Whatever.

737_700%20flight%20deck.jpg

Sit. Fly. Land.

030814-2117_zps5273c7b9.jpg

Also landed the CH 46.

030814-2106_zps474bde81.jpg

...And the world's largest commercial jet airliner, the Airbus A380.

030814-2150_zpsa751b3ec.jpg

If we're ever in an airplane over the ocean, and we have to make an emergency landing but there's no runway close enough except for an aircraft carrier...give me the controls. :D I'll land the thing.

Pffft. I've never played (or indeed heard of) your "F29 Retaliator". Watched a couple of clips on YouTube and it looks a bit boring!

F/A-18 Interceptor on the Amiga was brilliant though. Loads of fun to fly around and you could take off from and land on a carrier anchored off San Francisco.

Look! Look how much fun it is!

Yeah! Have some of that Russkies!

I bet the proportions of the carrier compared to the aircraft are slightly more realistic compared to Zoom's game too. :~

F29 Retaliator will always be held dear to me, mostly because it came as part of the 'Flight of Fantasy' bundle which I bought back in about 1990 when I was but a wee young lad.

137a7d9c-1457-42c9-b586-664dc6163b24.jpg

A friend of mine bought the 'Screen Gems' pack, not long after, so we swapped games for a while....

car08273.jpg

Days of Thunder was really poor, but I still love it. Happy days.

Rainbow Islands was... well, it existed. And it had such happy music!

I'm guessing that Zoom looks like this while playing his game:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Zoom, don't be ridiculous, your hair is nowhere near as long, and you haven't got legs like that!

Oh SNAP!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In other news, I wonder how old you guys feel when you talk about these games you used to play before I could even walk. :xp:

I know kids these days feel pity for the preceding generations for the gameboys we used to play with. Ungrateful little snots. :dozey:

I wonder what you kids would have made of the world before Internet. I realize that it came into being after you were born, but my generation grew up, dated and married, found jobs and kept in touch with relatives all without Internet. Researching anything meant going to a big, weird building called a 'library.' Gasbags could create any stupid factoid they wanted and spout their nonsense for any damn fool to believe, because no one could instantly check their 'facts' with google or wikipedia.

And what a different world cell phones have created!

A younger boss at my old job once bitched me out because he had called my cell phone on my day off, and I didn't answer it or call back. I just looked at him patiently and said, 'Gee, whatever did they do back in the old days, when phones were attached to the wall? Stay home all day in case someone called?'

Actually, I didn't call back because he was a douchebag. :dozey: Still...

Ha, I've only just started feeling 'old' recently but that's because I'm thinking of next years 40th birthday. Half of the people I hang around with are in their 20's, and other than a bit of banter where I get called the 'old man' I'm not really seen as 'older' as such.

I do however remember just starting to date before the internet....christ that was hard work, actually having to go out and meet people and talk to them, put your balls on the line and risk rejection. These days you can tee the whole thing up risk and rejection free using the internet, continue it using texts on a mobile phone, then when you finally meet you already know each other....I'd have been unstoppable dating in the internet age ha lol!

(disclaimer: well, maybe not, but less useless ha lol)

Archived