Home

Triumvirate Lords Of The Third Dimension

Patience, I think you'll need to add some international clocks to your desktop, add one for Belgium and the state of Texas :lol:

Fantastic news by the way!

On to your question:

Yes you can add extra meshes into your models.

You can just import your ASCII file, then copy what you want.

Then perhaps use Delink, resetxform and relink the copies to your Aurorabase.

If you want to add other meshes from anther Max file, use Merge.

Then give it the usual treatment of Resetxform, setting the pivotpoint, etc... ;)

To get rid of those stretched textures, I think it would be best to import your ASCII, delink all the parts that are wrong.

Redo the UVWmap and then Resetxform and link them up again.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im so excited now. To actually know how to get a model this big in game makes me enthusiastic about this project again.

I am in the process of redoing textures, adding buildings etc.

My next question is, how so I get working doors into my game model? I used your tutorial to import/merge a taris door, and i used your tut on how to make "door holes", but how can I simply use an existing taris door animation?

I do not want to model a new door, only use an existing taris one. I chose a taris door to merge into my max model to make the door holes, how do I get those doors to work now?

Many thanks!

Well you don't need to model the door itself.

Doors are completely seperate model. To place a real working door is what you need the .git file for in the MOD file.

The .git basiclly is a list of most things you want in your area/module to appear.

NPCs; creatures: crates and other stuff, including doors :)

So you can throw out those doors you got in your model.

They're only used as a reference for sizes.

Hmmm, didn't Marius mention it in his tutorial about module editing ?

There is a door struct, which has a small list like this:

model name

x coord

y coord

z coord

rotation (bearing)

Easiest method is to open up a .git file from another module.

And copy the struct of one of its doors.

Close that .git and open your own

Then past in the "stolen' struct and modify it to fit your needs.

OK i must be missing something big here. I added in the struct under door list, modified the x,y,z and nothing shows. Marius said I need a utd file for this door im trying to get to show?

Am i not understanding the file structure i need? If i am using a generic taris existing door, can I not just leave things as is? Do I need my own utd file? if so, where does it go? Do I put it in the mod file?

hmmm, forgot the utd file...

I think its best to extract one with KotorTool

Bifs => Templates=> Blueprint, doors.

Next step is to include the .utd file in the .mod file.

Just add it like the .git, .are etc

IIRC that should do it.

So the utd must be named the same as the reference in the door list struct in the git file?

So I can grab a utd file from any existing taris area, change the name to something like 777NPI_door1, use that name in the git file struct and it should work?

ok I got it working, sort of.

The door opens, and i can go through to a new module. However when i warp back to my 777NPI, the door is still in the open position. How can I reset the doors to all close?

Also, regarding putting in kiosks and merchants. What file do I need for that? And that file will also need to be compiled into my mod file?

Hmm, I think GloveMaster will know what to do to close those doors.

Thats something a script could do and that is not my department.

Well, kiosks are placeables, so you'll need UTP files for that.

Same goes for NPCs, each has its UT something file in the game. :)

Look into to Bifs=> Templates in KotorTool and you should find differant

all the needed files.

Think all that stuff is covered by tutorials; I let GM do all that for me :lol:

Don't forget Q, that some of the area specific .ut* files are found in their respective modules. ;)

@Disbeliever: I'd say either find a table placeable file, or you can try to create your own kiosk, kind of like real world stands in circuses/fairs. I'd say stick with the table, or, if you can make a real world kiosk that looks like it would fit in the Star Wars universe, go for that.

So if someone could correct me if I am wrong.

Every placeable, door etc needs to have an entry in the .git file for your area, but also it needs its own file (utd for doors etc) that is named the same. And then you put all of your files into your .mod file when you compile it for the placeables to show up?

Euh, something like that yeah :lol:

A utd is a file which describes your door, that model, that amount of health, you can talk to it etc...

One of the more important fields in that file is the Tag and ResRef; these names get used in scripts and whatnot, basicly the games uses these all the time to know what object your "talking" about.

>_< thats my interpretation, it could be wrong... not really my field of expertice

One of the more important fields in that file is the Tag and ResRef; these names get used in scripts and whatnot, basicly the games uses these all the time to know what object your "talking" about.

That's the idea behind all the ut* files. Its best to keep the Tag and ResRef the same. If you name the tag blahblah, you have to name the ResRef blahblah.

Also the ResRef must be the same as the filename :p

Every placeable, door etc needs to have an entry in the .git file for your area

Not necessarily; you could spawn everything in your module using a script. Its quite arkward though, and not something I'd recommend to someone with little experience of scripting.

The UT* files are templates for anything, really. If you want a door in your area then you will need to create a template for that door. Then, using the GIT file, you can create as many physical copies of that template in the module as you want.

The way I, and I'd imagine most people work with templates is to extract one from the game that is similar to what you want - so if you wanted a door from telos then in kotor tool you can go KotOR 2 > RIM's > Modules > 201TEL_s > Doors and extract a door from there and rename it. Then after you have placed it in your GIT file, and so in your module, you can just make changes to the template.

Hope that helps ;)

Now shops/merchants are a pain in the ass; you need to set up store files that need to be in the module, yet you actually trigger them via a script. If you can find a tutorial then that would be great, otherwise I'll try to explain it. Its been a while since I've done modding, and I've replaced that info with 3D trigonometry and quadratic equations. XD

If you could explain it that would be awesome. I tried to put a merchant in via the same way I got a door to show up, and nothing happened.

I have another issue: I have gotten all of my 8 doors into my area. I am using one utd file (tar04_elevdoor.utd), and have 8 structs under "door list" in my GIT file that reference this door, all with diff x,y,z coords obviously.

All show up ok. However, when you mouse over the door in game, it all says "elevator" and when you click the door, and it opens, the mouse over says "hideout". How/where do I change these at to say whatever I want them to say?

Its quite arkward though, and not something I'd recommend to someone with little experience of scripting.

which is why I'd say put doors and merchants and such in your default git file, and, once you figure out how to, when you do certain things (ie. complete a quest), people/placeables disappear.

... 3D trigonometry ... quadratic equations.

Ah, big words I don't understand! :hor:

What is the easiest way for a noob to get merchants in game at a certain x,y,z? I have been playing around and been able to get placable "kiosks" in game, that do nothing. I did this by adding a placeable struct for a default kiosk. I however want someone standing there, that I can walk up to, click on them, and get items to buy/sell.

Whats the easiest way? thanks guys. I know trigger said put merchants in the git file, but how? What other files do I need to place in my .mod file to get merchants to work/show up?

I have downloaded existing taris modules, but there are so many files its overwhelming. I just want a simple explaination

I believe you'll need to couple a dialogue file to your NPC that is the merchant.

Somewhere in the UT file of the NPC you need to set what dialogue file he uses => a .dlg file I believe... though I can't remember what creates these files >_<

Anyway in the dialogue you link a script=> that script activates the shop part=> shop part is a file again, I would guess that would be a list of items and the money the merchant has on him.

My noob interpretation :p

I need more noobish ;)

I seem to be able to get characters and placeables into my area via the git file, however they just stare at me like I am lost :p I need them to communicate, dance, do something :p

Hey, SS once said he could tell me how to get flying air traffic into the area to the right of my platform. I want to have some air ships fly past and then vanish at the end, and repeat. Like in the lower city when your about to enter the undecity elevator, and to your right is a tube that has air ships flying through it. How can I have multiple instances of these flying ships in an area?

And can you please answer how you can change the mouse over name of the placable door? Right now you move your mouse over the door and it says "elevator" and you click, it opens, and then it says "hideout". I want to make it say something custom for each door.

Thanks

You can place a person at a certain x-y-z the same way you are able to place doors, placeables, etc.

After you do that, you open up your merchant's utc file with K-Tool (or the KGFF, either works), and find the field that determines the dialog file that your merchant will use. If your .dlg file is called merchant1.dlg, you put in merchant1 in that field.

Archived