Home

Triumvirate Lords Of The Third Dimension

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Men, thats real hard to say.

As I fiddled once again with that one area.

I should keep a sort of time tag to see how much I've spend on making these things, before I declare them finished :p

Though I bet I'm nearing the +30 hours on this thing... for just one area...

Which is just one of the 8 to 9 of the planet..

Ruffly I need +270hours to just model those and get them empty in the game.

Hmm counts as 12 days, none stop work :lol:

Think you can see where this is going; its going to be a very long while.

Certainly before I announce this to the big public. I got nothing to show really.

A small little update post :p

Been working on this 3 piece skybox texture for my landing area.

Yes only 3, as thats is what you can see, the back of the box won't be visible as the walls of the landingbay close you in tightly :lol:

Anyway this is what I made, a stormy sea view:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Q_AqSkyCom.jpg

Used Terragen, a program of which you can get a nice free package. ( Certain things are put "off" and only go "on" when you pay and register). Anyway the free version has enough to render out nice landscapes of any sorts. Skies, suns and water are all adjustable to your needs :p

I kept it simple and then used my renders in Photoshop, where I used some pictures of stormy clouds and some layer tweaking to get it all "nicely" darkish.

Hey, figured I hadn't posted in a looong time so I though might aswell try and post something. :lol:

Well progress as far as the elusive camera blocking goes; unfortunately the progress isn't huge but after experimenting with customer doors and modules in addition to the info I get from Q whenever he experiments. Also tirelessly wondering around in kotor and hitting the camera off walls to try and get an better idea :lol: I'm 99% confident that it isn't the walkmesh, in a sense that blocks the camera it is the walkmesh in the model. This somewhat makes it easier since there actually is documentation on the binary model format, as crude as it is >.< I'm hoping to try and figure out more of the model file's binary structure - in particular the face list array since editing common mesh headers failed, it seems logical that our missing key is in there somewhere. If that is unsuccessful then I'll have to have a look in the MDX file, which is what I don't want to have to do >.<

Also experiments at getting room-jumping to work have failed; I'm working on finding some pattern in the edge links.

While I've had a look at lightmapping, it is unrealistic that I'll be able to get any progress on that in the near future.

As far as AuroraLights go, I've concluded that you can only have 3 AuroraLight's on per room, rooms are determined by what walkmesh you are standing on and since we can't do room jumping we're only really limited to 3. KotOR only uses AuroraLight's to generate shadows, however. I'm working on a tool to correct export issues with NWMax as AuroraLight's are concerned, the tool will likely correct Animations in the model aswell, since NWMax only allows you to use NWN animation names.

Now for praise :)

@Q: Well what can I say, its an honor to work with you :bow:

@disbeliever: I took an instant liking to your project the moment it was announced :) Personally I love urban planets. You've done a fantastic job so far ;)

@TriggerGod: Loved that saber hilt ;) I'm hoping you can put your modeling skills into area developing, the onces in this group are the only ones on the Holowan :( Well, that I know of.

@Sithspecter: My psychic abilities have shown the the fabulous screenshots you will produce :p I'm sure they will be awesome ;)

@TriggerGod: Loved that saber hilt ;) I'm hoping you can put your modeling skills into area developing, the onces in this group are the only ones on the Holowan :( Well, that I know of.

I have recently posted in the group (not in the pictures part) some WIP pics of a flying city that I am working on. I haven't really made any progress on it, but today I plan to add on those repulsor lift things using emitters...

@TG: Ah thats great stuff :p Sorry I didn't look too far back. Emitters can be a real pain in the ass, I've been experimenting with them and if you need some help on getting the effect you want then I might be able to give you a hand with the controllers. ;)

@SS: As much as I understand it, I lack the programming ability to actually start over on a new tool to read and write binary files. What with MDLops being written in perl (yuck) and KAE not having any source code, plus the lack of documentation meaning I'll have to work most of the structure that has already been worked out, out again. >.<

It might take a while... :lol:

Q or SS,

I am sure you both are busy as all can be. I am nearing the end of my texturizing. If I were to send either of you my 3d studio file, can you help me get this in game? I am clueless on such things, even though I have watched Q's tutorial over and over.

thanks

HELP! :ugh:

Here is the scene in rar format. http://www.nicholaspaul.net/middlecity_59.rar

I am guessing the best bet would be to use your line tool example to hand draw a walkmesh? Ive watched your tutorial like 15 times and fail over and over. If you could help me get this in game I could by you an e-beer :)

I grouped everything together, so you dont have 50 peices for each building now. They are all stil polys too.

I haven't made any progress on any of my areas. But I did have an idea for a sith lord in an upcoming mod, (I told Q about it, and I posted about it in my thread. Although I don't think many people saw it) a zabrak sith lord. I just need to find some inspiration for the head. I did model some new horns.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
horns.png

I haven't figured out how settoken got new head models to work, so for now, the horns will go on like a mask item (similar to inyri's horn mod)

Ugh, I'm in a bad luck street it seems, I'm put on lowband :(

Internet is slow... I hate that !

Anyway Dis, I've written down something about the export part :p

I hope it might give you some more insight in what you need to do with your model.

LINK FOR DOWNLOAD

Last bit was a rushed; though I've put in a link to another tutorial by Marius about the module files.

Archived