Home

Those damn civilians

Alan Byrne

Will the civilians in JK2 be more varied than those in JK/MotS?

I really hated he way in JK you only found maybe three or four different civilian models. I mean, I know its a different universe, but I don't know how many identical twins can be born at a time :confused:

We probably won't be seeing the number of civilians in this one as in the original JK. Remember in JK their purpose was to turn you to the darkside or not. The levels so far in this are going to be a Jedi Academy and an imperial base, etc? Probably not as many commoners in these places. However, there may be some on Cloud City. But most likely those would be Ugnaughts, which IMO all look the same. :)

Well, here's an example: Soldier of Fortune had quite a few different types of models and different faces. I never even noticed seeing the same guy twice(if it even happened). Seeing as most of the enemies will probably be stormtroopers and Jedi, i would imagine Raven will put a lot of different civilian models in the game.

The previews have said there will be civilians. If you protect them people will help you along your quest. If you kill them then they will be scared of you and run away. I also hope there will be a larger variety, but at the moment we do not have the technology to have random character models for people.

I'm definitely in agreement about this one. A game with hundreds of identical-looking characters always feels less real and less immersive than one which has a wider range of skins. On the same note, I hope we see not just regular storm troopers, but field troopers, snow troopers, speeder bike troopers, etc. It all adds to the variety.

Guest Vagabond

Good point, ed. Seeing the whole array of Imperial staff would be excellent and would really help create the Star Wars universe for the gamer. Storm Troopers, Sand Troopers, Imperial Fleet Troopers, Imperial Army Troopers, a few different skins for Imperial Officers, Imperial Protocol and Astromech droids, along with the familiar mouse and interrogator droids. How about some of the Imperial technicians, similar to those that scanned the Falcon on the Death Star? Another cool idea would be for certain so-called civs to be Imperial Informants, like Garindan, and the guy that ratted on Kenobi in the cantina - attempting to seek out these spies would add an interesting twist to the gameplay. AT-AT Pilots, TIE Pilots, Snow Troopers, Biker Scouts, Zero-G Troopers, perhaps a few Dark Troopers, some War Droids (not to be confused with the clumsey battle droids from TPM), and some of the Special Forces troopers, like Commandos, Radiation Troopers, Aqua Troopers, etc.

Guest ZeroXcape

ed: As do I. Seeing the same people from the first level as the last is never great. "Haven't I killed all of you before."

As for the civilians, it'd be neat to have some variety. I really like it when the civilians are actually doing something, (i.e. talking to each other, running around aimlessly, hurt on the ground).

I agree with a lot of what's already been said, but what really bugged me about Jedi Knight was that all of the civilians (except the Ugnaughts) were human. The other races that made an appearance in the game were all trying to kill you.

Considering this is the Star Wars universe, with such a diverse range of cultures and species, I'd like to see a great deal more variety in the civilian population.

So the problem is not simply generating different character skins with interchangeable parts (which they accomplished well in SOF, and will expand in SOF2), but also looking at some of the alien species, and giving them some alternate skins.

At least then you will not automatically think - "There's an alien, he/she/it must be a bad guy so I shoot them". That is a xenophobic tendency I'd rather avoid in this sequel. Besides, if you really mix it up, you won't really know who is the enemy and who isn't until they start shooting at you - which IMHO will make the game far more challenging. Unless, of course, you are one of those people who just blasts everyone in sight. ;)

The previews have said there will be civilians. If you protect them people will help you along your quest. If you kill them then they will be scared of you and run away. I also hope there will be a larger variety, but at the moment we do not have the technology to have random character models for people.

Archived