Home

Nov PC Gamer

Guest Hannibal

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Krayt Tion
Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]:

<STRONG>Neither the Bryar Pistol or Blaster Rifle have a zoom (neither does the Bowcaster, as the PC Gamer article claims). However, one of the weapons does have a zoom mode...</STRONG>

:eek:

That was enormously helpful, thank you. And very tantalizing, you tease.

I would officially like to retire from the speculation business. I'm not going to even suggest now that we might have a stand alone sniper rifle. My speculation is suck.

It had been a long standing rumour that the stormie rifle would zoom. That combined with the PC Gamer slip up, I wish the media would be more careful with my fragile nerd life. :mad: I still find it strange that there is clearly a scope on the stormie rifle, yet it apparently does not function? Ah well.

Back to the lasers moving the speed of light and jedi not being able to block fast enough...

Does it matter how fast it moves if they're there before it hits? Did anyone see episode 1?

"he sees things before they happen, that's why he appears to have such quick reflexes; it's a jedi trick." Qui-Gon talking about Anakin

So they see where the laser will strike before it does and react before it's even shot. Perhaps they don't move the speed of light, but it wouldn't make a difference on the jedi side either way.

oh... and someone send me those scans too please ;)

villan@tampabay.rr.com

There's the rampant arguments about a fictional environment again. But, for the record, nothing in the movies ever suggested anything about lasers with the possible exception of fighter ship turbo lasers. Everybody always refered to the guns as blasters not lasers. They were clearly not lasers anyway. They fired some sort of projectile (energy or other).

Now, I still think and hope Raven will release, most likely at a later time, an expansion pack that will include team and class based play. That's where the weapons/force power/ability balance will come into play. I can't wait to see a specialties mode for JKO. And, I'm still hoping to hear about an easy map building program to be released. That would make it easier to concentrate on design and graphics rather than the technical construction.

ChangKhan[RAVEN]:

Hope to see you Raven folks giving us some details on CTF soon, although I'm sure it's still being worked on. There has a been a huge resurgeance(SP?) in JK CTF since 2000 and we're all eagerly anticipating JK2 CTF(if it offers us what JK CTF did with the features of modern technology).

Guest Krayt Tion

Since we know the JK2 flechette launcher is going to be similar to the FC1 which is already established in the EU universe, here is some official text from The Essential Guide to [star Wars] Weapons and Technology. Del Rey can ask me to take this down if they want and I will. This is a good read.

"The Golan Arms FC1 is a traditional shoulder-braced flechette weapon widely used bythe Corporate Sector Authority's security police squads. During one of his many smuggling adventures, Han Solo used one of these launchers to force back attacking slavers while escaping from the hijacked luxury cruiser Lady of Mindor.

The FC1 has an optimum change of 100 meters, a maximum range of 250, and can fire both antipersonnel and antivehicle canisters. Througth the scopes range finder, the user must manually program each canister's detonation range, targeting for a detonation point ten meters in front of the target to achieve maximum flechette dispersal. In emergencies the launcher can be fired without setting the detonation range- the canister explodes on impact- but this mode dramatically reduces the effectiveness of the flechettes.

The FC1 holds four canister tubes, each with a single canister, and has a reserve chamber for two additional canisters. Lightly tapping the firing stud selects the tude that is fire, allowing the soldier to carry several canister types and fire the specific type needed as different combat situations arise."

Looks like we can rule the flechette launcher out as any type of close-quarters shotgun weapon. This baby is most effective if the canister that is fired has 10 meters between it and its target, so that the flechettes might spread out. Assuming of course they implement that element of the shooting process.

This weapon sounds yummy, especially if we can fire different kinds of flechettes. :cool: This would be a sweet weapon to watch being loaded, although I don't know whether or not they will ever bother with loading animations.

reactor- good to see someone else is interested in CTF. i always found ctf in the sci fi jedi knight environments to be quite enjoyable. i'd like to see some twist to the standard ctf style though..... even if it be something instead of a flag (capture the ewok, anyone?)

teemto- shhhhh! :)

Ah yes, CTF in JK/MotS was something I could rarely get a good game of, but when I did, it was always the most fun type of multiplayer IMHO (other than of course one on one saber dueling).

Some people in the past have tried to tell me that JK CTF was "not good" or somehow less than CTF in other games (I have played several other games versions of CTF and I don't agree). The presence of force/saber in the CTF atmosphere added a lot of important twists and strategy to the mix. MotS CTF even more so with the different personalities. I hope that this is pursued additionally in JK2, but this time with a decent number of maps (the JK CTF maps were excellent, but there were only three of them, and it took years for the editing community to master the technique to create decent CTF maps of their own).

Kurgan

In emergencies the launcher can be fired without setting the detonation range- the canister explodes on impact- but this mode dramatically reduces the effectiveness of the flechettes.

I would think that if like the above description, canister explosion distance in JK2 would be preset by Raven, as to not over complicate it usage. Or perhaps it could be made range modifiable but have the ability to be preset for quick fire and especially MP where you wouldn't have time to set a distance. Just a thought.

But what I'm more interested in is the above quote, it could have an interesting applications for secondary fire. It could work like the flak canon in UT, except more refined. What do I mean by refined? It says in non set mode it explodes on impact but becomes less effective. Presumable the canisters are designed to explode forward so all the flechettes increase speed towards their target. I think in secondary fire if it hits something it could explode backwards in a 180 degree range. Except only a portion of the flechettes are launched doing less damage and not everything in that range would be hit. If it hit another player it would do a little to them but the back blast has the potential to hit players to the side and in front of them and perhaps even the player who fired it in the first place! Watch that itchy trigger finger. This way it has, what I would assume is heavy damage,but also has a more subtle, tactical element to it usage as well.

Guest Krayt Tion

To make CTF interesting I would cater to abilities of force users to create some really unique maps. The force is one of the things really seperating this game from other FPSes in multiplayer, I would play on that strength. Successful CTF is very much in the maps once you have your player capabilities (movement, weapons) determined.

I'm not saying that only Force Users should play CTF. I would actually love to have a NF gunner or other forceless personalities/classes (no clue yet as to what their player setups are) be able to play effectively on the same CTF map as a Jedi or Force User.

That would be a tricky balance though and it's all about the movement, movement, movement. You can't let that Jedi jump up to that walkway it takes a NFer 20 seconds to reach, for example, without making sure the NFer somehow has other movement advantages elsewhere in the map. Or make a certain pathway blocked my ysalamiri or something if the level theme is appropriate for those creatures to be there (cheap way out I know). If there are classes, you can give other NFers certain tools to aid them in CTF.

I'm biased, I like my CTF class-based all the way. Ultimately I think it provides a deeper level of strategy and greater replay value. I have no clue what they are planning in terms of classes for multiplayer, whether that be for regular deathmatch or CTF. Unfortunately, unless the human day magically expands to 36 hours, I think they'll have to do either or. It would be a lot more work to make CTF classes viable as stand-alone fighters as well, and it is probably impossible based on concept alone. Good classed-based CTF has support[i/] classes that are not very effective in one on one combat. Sure, you made plenty of kills with your engineer in TFC after you built your SG, but let's get real.

Guest Krayt Tion
Originally posted by Syndrix:

<STRONG>I think in secondary fire if it hits something it could explode backwards in a 180 degree range.</STRONG>

Naughty. No using this mode in close quarters or you would hit yourself. That doesn't sound bad, my only concern would be that the situations where that affect is useful wouldn't be that common. This might be somewhat unfounded.

I can think of another use: someone is chasing behind you, you secondary flechette fire into the wall ahead of you then jump over the flechettes heading back your way. Bloody mess for the surprised bloke behind you though. :) The idea of reverse direction fire from the projectile of a weapon sounds very interesting.

Let me operate on your idea a bit. Secondary fire could be a "sticky" canister that after impacting and planting/attaching itself, lets loose a spray of flechettes in all or some directions. Similar to the nail grenade carried by the soldier in TFC that spits nails everywhere. Evil.

About the laser and speed of light deal. I really doubt that the blasters and rifles in SW shoot at the speed of light even though they are "lasers". I saw a post further up pulling out information from one of the SW Universe books or programs and it really bothers me that people would go through such legnths to find nothing on something that can not be explained in a rational and intelligent way. The truth is, laser blasts are cool(period).

Archived