Home

what maps do u think should be brought back into JO

TrUeFoRcE

drifter, i think everything currently being discussed has already been previously discussed in at least 5-8 different posts b4..

why not add to the list? i can't imagine that people actually would waste their time scrolling through previous pages seeking a relevant post anyways.. :p

as far as maps go, hopefully plenty of new ones will be included with maybe BGJ and Canyon Oasis, for if anything, old time's sake.

ed- severe grammatical errors

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: DeathBoLT ]

Well the way I see it (talking about MP maps here), I'd much rather see new maps. I would think it would be far easier to design new maps that fit into the general scheme/theme of the new game, and be more balanced with the new weapons and powers, than to adapt old maps to the new scheme (will still having the map be recognizable as a remake of the old one).

On the other hand, it would be kind of a nice nostalgic kick to see some of the old maps in the new engine. But, granting that, the last thing I want to see is everyone playing nothing but Canyon Oasis for another four years with this game. I'm sick of that map (great as it was)!

What I think would be cool is if JK2 on release had 100% new maps. But they later released a free addon (map pack) that included some classic map remakes/conversions from JK, MotS, Dark Forces, and Obi-Wan PC. I would rather see this, than the developers spending their time (which would be better spent developing fresh new material) on converting old material for the game's release.

THAT would definately be cool, and it could be along the lines of a "thank you" to the community of fans who've supported the series, but that would mean that people who got the game would still have to learn everything at the same time, and it wouldn't matter if you hadn't memorized them all from the last game(s).

And maybe later on, they could slap it all together in a big pack for a "game of the year" edition, and finally (as LEC would be wont to do) release a "Jedi Knight Gold" with all the games in one box for a reduced price. Maybe one day a "Jedi Knight/Dark Forces Collector's Disc" series would be made, wherein they'd update the graphics on the old games and add dedicated servers/multiplayer...? Well I can dream, can't I? ; ) But I digress...

People like me, who are generally sick of certain "old" levels will likely just play them once for old times sake then go on to the newer (and fresher) levels. Thus they would be kind of a waste. If it were an addon pack you could download, then only the people who wanted it would need to spend the time, and the developers wouldn't be so rushed.

Which reminds me, it would be interesting if amazon.com was right, and JK2 came with a copy of JK1 in the box. Then I would think having two canyon oasis's would be even more redundant to newbies... ; p

Kurgan

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

i see what u mean, and yes canyon oasis was definately over played, but i think that it would just be a fun map to play for old times sake, i doubt its design will hold up against some of the new ones there going to make, but a few maps like purgatory ide like to see modernized i think it would be fun in the new jk, it was a huge map hard to find anyone but if u can play wtih more than 4 ppl in JO then i think it would be a great map for someone to remake

obviously tehre is going to be someone who makes canyon oasis for JO thats a given, though some ppl might not like it im sure someone will make it, i doubt it will be played as much now that all these new fatures can be added in new maps

That's a good point.. I wonder if they would consider putting any remakes of "user created" maps into an addon pack. Would that be too risky?

Cog King's Frag Factory was made by a former LEC JK team member, so that could be one (and it was fun too). ; )

Kurgan

I dont know about recreated multi-maps but there really has to be movie themed maps eg. Cloud City, Emperor's throne room and Jabbas desert barge

Nothing was as fun as me and some mates reacting the final fight from ROTJ with some downloaded maps/models but we diddnt have The emperor so we used Chewbucca (it still worked)

The pack-in maps are still very important, because they sell the game. In addition to that, lots of people never use addons, so even if you download the stuff you like, good luck getting other people to do the same. (Autodownloading is a nice option btw, but better make it have off server links ability too.. because lots of folks don't want to wait or slow down their connection just so somebody can get the file temporarily)

So having a nice variety of high quality pack-in maps at the start is a very good option.

I hope they do convert some maps, I just don't want that to take precedence or replace or be used as a crutch in the quest to design new and interesting original maps.

Kurgan

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

I agree with kurgs. Its all well and good saying "we can mod it" but thats not much use if no other person will get it. Having all the good maps "as standard" will make MP-ing sooo much easier.

As for Maps I would be happy for some film locations from the trilogy - as long as they are done well and accurately. The carbon freeze chamber is a must.

wardz

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: wardz ]

I believe Canyon Oasis was a very good map for JK1. However, with JK2 i believe they should make new ones, but keep JK1 gun maps as a model for JK2 ones.

Example: Canyon oasis had some of the best gameplay i've ever seen, hence its popularity. It had the ability to lure people into the level. Its design was one that seemed to look easy, but prove difficult.

I am hoping since Cloud City we be a locale in the game, they will in fact make a better version of Cloud City and Gantry from MotS.

There are a few other MotS levels that were very well done like Spaceport, Reactor, and Tree Canopy.

I say dump all of the JK levels though, which they most likely won't.

Archived