Home

Grim snaps

ncesky

The snapshots look really unSWish. Now, before going beserk, keep in mind I am only talking about the 29 shots on the site.

A couple ppl mentioned this already (not here), but they just lack certain things that remind u of SW. First off, they lack VASTNESS. SW always had vast environmets that trademarked it, even original JK, I still remeber jumping onto a departing spaceship while the sky spread around me... But for a Q3 engine, the environments shown there look kinda small.

Another thing is the lack of characters. So far, its seems like almost nothing but stormstroopers. Some nice NPCs would be nice.

The last thing perhaps is all the blinky **** on computer screens... it looks more like star trek than anything else. They overdo it on the displays...

Those are my opinions on the snapshots, and I'm fully aware they don't reflect based on the game; but 29 snapshots from Raven, on a SW title sure must represent a good deal.

Welcome to the forums Razage

*hands gift basket

Not that I should be doing this but I am the first to notice your post.

Anyway, they are just screenshots showing only the most basic part of a portion of a huge(?) level.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums Ncesky

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: SuperStupidStormie ]

Sorry, but I think it's all in your head. If they were using the UT engine you probably wouldn't be posting that. Just look at these:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/counter-strike/jk2/27.jpg

http://users.bigpond.net.au/counter-strike/jk2/29.jpg

I don't know about your book, but in mine that qualifies as vast and open. <s>And hey, most of the new shots were about the 2nd death star </s>(I'm guessing :) EDIT: and I was wrong. Thanks Seryl Cann. :) I don't know beans about the story, heh.) so why would they waste space with a bunch of huge corridors? Just trying to put some stuff in perspective, and compliment Raven. :D

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: bsbuckeye21 ]

Most of these screens are in Imperial buildings. I doubt you'll see a lot of civilians walking around there. Stormtroopers are the backbone of the Imperial Army (both on planets and in space), so there have to be a lot of them especially in Imperial buildings.

As for vastness, have you looked at those screenshots? Even a couple of the older ones show big areas (this one, this one and this one for example). It's a lot more than I expected when I first heard they were going to use the Q3 engine.

Those new screenshots were not from the 2nd death star. The 2nd death star was destroyed way before JK2.

I personally like the idea of more closed areas... Dark Forces and Jedi Knight were far too closed; even on nar shaddaa, it didn't feel as busy. Then it was due to engine constraints. I think we'll be seeing more detailed and "busy" levels now.

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: DeathBoLT ]

Yeah, what Seryl Cann said. ;)

Personally, I hope there is a good mix between some tight, complex, enclosed levels, and some wide, sweeping vistas...

And the SW environmental trademark as far as I'm concerned is having a lot of precipitous drops, and vertical level design...not just vast areas.

The screenshots so far have given us a small glimpse at large areas, vertical areas, and enclosed areas, and that suits me fine.

A big hearty welcome to the new members. Enjoy your stay, and watch out for the Bantha droppings. :D

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: StormHammer ]

Archived