Home

AI

Zorro

Does anybody what the JKII AI will be like? Obviously its being made witht he Q3 engine, but the AI for Q3 (although good) was strictly for bot matches.

I hope that the JKII AI will be in some way similar to the Theif series, which in my opinion has excellant AI.

What do you think?

Guest Jolts

I'm sure the ai won't be anything too special on things like the storm troopers and other characters like npc's.

I just hope that they use lots of scripted events like in half-life to make the levels seem more alive.

Guest Jolts

I don't care if it is released with bots or not. We all know someone would make a bot anyways based off the boss code if bots are not included with the retail release. Just have to wait a little while, which sucks.

I don't think the stormtrooper AI should be anything special, since they were pretty stupid in the movies. Previously in the games, they didn't use any tactics or communication at all, and that was excused as a form of Force Persuasion—it would be inconsistent to drop that now and make stormies dangerous, just because it's possible. But they can still use the latest technology for New Republic troops, civilians, outlaws, bounty hunters, Force-users, and so on.

Just because Stormtroopers were not that clever in the movies doesn't mean they should be cannon foder in the game.

Storm trooper ranks should play a major role in their AI. Troops should just follow orders but better and more advanced AI should be implemented on troops who give orders. Because ST will be the common enemy in JKO they should be at least chalenging to fight with.

I agree with Aragorn, Storm Troopers should have good AI. Even though they were stupid in the movies, what type of game would JKII be if all the opponents were idots?

Thats one thing I didn't like about JKI. The enemies were very lame, and easy to kill. Even the enemy sith were fairly easy.

By the way, Aragorn, shouldn't your signature be:

"All that is gold does not glitter..."

It just seems to fit your name better. :)

-Zorro

If you come to think of it, it could be many things. It could be a few lines from a song by Zeppelin...Tolkien has influenced many people :)

I have to agree though, it really does fit the name better... :) But when I think about LOTR, the Ringverse comes in mind...

...In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: Aragorn ]

Yeah, you are right, it will be very advanced compared to JKI.

But the AI is not enought to make the game fun. In JKI if you find the conc or have force pull the game becomes much much easier. I remember many times in which I just blasted 5 or 6 storm troopers in one blow without any damage.

I hope that in JKII enemies will be fewer but harder to kill because they are smart enought to use tactics such as ducking or crouching.

Guest ZeroXcape

I think it's a little early too talk about what the JK AI will be like... we honestly have no clue. As we all hope it will be good, our best bet is look to SOFII to see some of the aspects Raven's using for their AI.

In that movie the guy said that you could fight with AI as well as against it.

This seems to say that there will be bot matches because if they can get the AI to fight with you they can most likely get a good AI to fight against you.

If the Stormies had the intelligence of the Half-Life grunts we'd be in good shape. The grunts did a good job at coordinated firing, retreating, regrouping, throwing or dropping grenades, supressing, and advancing. Lucky for them Black Mesa had so many crates.

I'm most hoping for talented Bots that can handle both melee and ranged combat. Use 'em as sparring partners.

Guest Kettch

I don't think that stormtroopers crouch or hide. Stormtroopers are for "storming" the area, not for guerilla tactics, and because of their armor plating they aren't so agile and needn't to crouch or hide (in the whole SW Trilogy, where did u see Stormies hiding)

Consider that animated teddy bears can kill an entire legion of the Emperor's elite shock troops. If we stick with the film as canon, I doubt we'll get much resistance from run-of-the-mill stormies.

If Raven beefed up the stormies just a bit in the brains dept., could actually respect them again (like in the original Star Wars). They don't have to be brilliant. But they could at least be somewhat coordinated as a trained Imperial squad.

Even if Storm Troopers are lame, they aren't the only enemies in the Star Wars Universe. There will still be many other enemies who should be smart.

Also, it looked pretty cool watching the saber fight. I hope the sith AI is good because in JK I thought it was poor.

Maybe we won't see that many stormies. There were a large variety of enemies in JK1. Maybe we'll have a similar mission/story in this installment of the DF series. Perhaps something that reaches beyond the grasp of the empire, like the unknown regions.

Archived