Home

Counterstrike - Kill or be killed..... or be killed

GonkH8er

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_382974.html

:)

<STRONG>A Thai man has died from heart failure during an all-night computer game.

The 22-year-old was found dead at his computer terminal in an internet cafe in Chiang Mai.

Police say his friends told them he was addicted to the game and played it from Wednesday evening until he was found slumped over the computer's keyboard at noon on Thursday.

They confirmed that Thanet Sommoi, a worker at a ceramics factory, died from heart failure.

He had been playing Half Life: Counter Strike, which casts players in the role of terrorist or counter-terrorist. Up to 32 people can join in on the internet.

Police say investigators believed Thanet developed tension and fatigue after playing the game for hours, and his heart eventually failed.

The Nation reports he was taken to hospital, but was pronounced dead after doctors failed to revive him.

Story filed: 15:25 Saturday 25th August 2001

</STRONG>

scary :)

hey, here's a related article

<STRONG>

Drugs 'added to gamers' drinking water'

A Thai newspaper claims amphetamines are being added to drinking water at 24-hour computer game shops to keep people playing for longer.

The Thai News says police suspect the practice is going on although no arrests have been made.

They searched a number of games shops after a 22-year-old died from heart failure during an all-night computer game in Chiang Mai.

</STRONG>

It's all goin down in thailand eh?

So boys, gaming's ok, just lay off the fatty snacks (i know i know..... the life source yada yada yada).... or that next headshot with an arctic warfare rifle may just coincide with your sudden heart attack.

thanks to letalis for pointing this one out. i think he was subtely hinting about my gaming habits :)

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: GonkH8er ]

Just as a footnote, I read something a couple of years ago (don't ask me where), that said people are more prone to heart attacks in the early hours of the morning, say around 3 o'clock.

The body's systems are trying to power down into sleep mode, so forcing yourself to remain awake is putting an unnecessary strain on some parts of your body.

I must admit there have been a few occasions when I have played games or surfed the net all night. I try not to make it a habit, but I guess we should all be a little bit more careful.

You can bet that some media nut is going to pick up this Thai story, though, and start touting it around as another reason why computer games should be banned.

Guest Krayt Tion

Cstrike might be intense but if any game would make me keel over and die it would be one of the scary ones like AvP, System Shock 2, Clive Barker's Undying... maybe even DooM III if they do it right.

Thanks for the credit Gonk! ;)

Well, you simply need to set up a UV that pumps the necessary nutrients into your body, and have a bag for your... wastes.

Well, isn't that what you guys have? I do... :rolleyes:

Next I'm looking at investing in a barfridge and a microwave, then I don't have to leave the computer!

Guest Kurgan

I would make a joke about one of Art Bell's survival tools from Peenman Enterprises , but I think I'll pass.

Don't you mean 'IV' (intravenous), not UV (ultraviolet)?

Of course one key question that would/should be asked in the investigation of this unfortunate person is if they had a history of heart problems (assuming of course there was no foul play involved). Pretty sad though, in any case. There was another story about some person staying up all night playing some game and dying (they forgot to eat or something). I think it was a japanese youth playing an RPG, but I don't recall the specifics.

People can and do die from fatigue. Just recently two athletes died of heat stroke in my town. People don't realize that if you don't get enough rest and water, you die, the human body isn't invulnerable.

Of course there are plenty of folks who have incredible endurance and handle this type of thing better than others.

Mr. Peter Bukowski was the first person to die playing a video game, when he died of a heart attack playing Berzerk at the "Friar Tuck Game Room" in Calumet City, Illinois.

- Mame history entry for Berzerk (Stern, 1980)

Kurgan

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

we used to have this IT guy at our school. His name was James Isseppi...... anyway, he was rather large, about 19 yrs old, and incredibly unhealthy (eg- ate jars of nutella for lunch). When he was working @ our school, he'd PAY people to walk 400 feet to buy him lunch at the school shop because he was so damn lazy.

anyway, at our LAN parties we used to joke about him ordering in tankers full of chocolate with a large IV-like tube and him shouting in a dopey manner "Hook it to my veins!!"

it was pretty funny, beacuse every time we saw him we'd go 'HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!' and he had no clue :) but dont think we were being unjustly mean. He seriously was given too much power. He started going into students accounts and planting sick pictures in their folders, and thatd why he was eventually fired :)

i guess you had to be there....

Archived