Home

Man, I am so pissed

matt--

i bought an asus a7a266 motherboard about a month ago. Now it wont even go through the POST when I power up. It just turns on the fans. A lot of other people have this problem and asus isn't doing ****. I am friggin pissed off!!! I am somewhat positive its the ROM chip. Anyone know where I can get a program to reflash from a second, functioning computer, or my busted up p.o.s? Anyone know another good 266fsb motherboard...not ASUS!

Do they have a website? Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm gonna try a few more things:

Reformat my harddrive(it had windows98, major problem right there)

Change my BIOS chip(it'll be from a different asus model, but if it at least beeps or something, I'll confirm it's the bios)

Guest digl

You keep it into the fridge to cool it or what?

Have you tried with a better power source

I had some problems with an A7V and it was because I was using a 250W source

it's not overclocking, it's Raid. Raid = rendundant array of independent, really it's tandum hard drives, that allows you to create a large, single, high-performance, logical hard drive from an array of small hard drives. in thory my computer should go twice as fast. but in reality it only gose 70%-80% faster.

there are five levels of raid, I copyed this from a site fyi.

RAID Level 0: Performs pure data striping, offering the ultimate in performance and drive efficiency. An oxymoron of sorts as it doesn't offer any level of redundancy whatsoever. Requires at least two drives.

RAID Level 1: Mirroring. This one duplicates data from one drive to the others within the array. It offers the same amount of storage as a single drive in the array but with complete data redundancy. Disable one drive and the others can still supply the data. A level 1 RAID writes slow compared to a single drive but makes up for it with faster reads. Choose this level for a high fault-tolerance environment. Requires at least two drives.

RAID Level 2: Offers the use of Hamming ECC (error correction code). It gives each bit an ECC and stores it on an ECC drive. When reading data, it checks against the ECC drive(s) to verify data intergrity. Of the five RAID levels this is the least used. It's an inefficient use of drives, costs a lot, and the Hamming ECC is irrelevant since SCSI and most new HDs support built-in error correction. Requires at least three drives.

RAID Level 3: Offers data striping at the bit level. It stores data parity on a parity disk with data correction on reads. You'll need a hardware controller for best results though, and controller design is complex. It's best for environments using long sequential data, like digital video editing. Not good in a multiuser situation. Requires at least three drives.

RAID Level 4: Similar to Level 3 except writes data at block level, not bit level. Its read performance is similar to Level 0. Level 4 writes much slower because the parity data must be updated at each write, although sequential or large writes are much faster. It offers low cost per megabyte but makes for difficult data rebuild in event of disk failure. Little to no advantage over Level 5 with no support for multiple simultaneous writes. Requires at least three hard drives.

RAID Level 5: Similar to Level 4 but with parity data distributed across all disks. Great in multiuser environments like file or Web servers. Requires at least three hard drives, but better with five.

I'm running level 0 fyi

That's a no on the power supply. I thought so too, so I went out and bought a 400watt. It showed me my video card info, but went no further. It has now gone back to total failure. I'm gonna take it to a professional computer repair guy. I'm pretty sure it's the bios(i upgraded to beta that supposedly solves a lot of problems). I just dont have the equipment to flash a bios. When the computer won't even start that is. I have heard tales of programs that let you do it from another computer, but i cant find any. :(:mad::(:mad:

Originally posted by GE Joe Solo:

<STRONG>why didn;t you get an Abit, Abit mother boards are pro man. I'm running a Abit KT7 Raid. raid is awsome, I got my 800MHz doin 1.4GHz with it</STRONG>

Now that I realize I have a 1 year warranty, I am considering the $200 abit kg7-raid. Anyone have any experience with this board? Anyone know a good review site?

hmm I'v never even seen a KG7. but if it's anything like mine it's not very ez to set up. but worth the time. Abit is awsome, none of the stuff I have from them has ever broken. it's not like I was trying to or anything.

so if your new to raid, like I was then have a guy that knows what he is doing set you up. keep in mind that some computer techs are morrons so make sure you get help from a guy that has done this b4.

My computer actually booted a couple of times today. Apparently, the factory didn't slide the voltage jumper on completely. :rolleyes: It just fell off. Now, when it does boot up(still a few bugs), it freezes in the bios. So, I'm gonna have to flash it. Well get this, I got it past POST and the display read "Invalid System disk". My disk was screwed up! :mad:

Dammit, I'm having the same exact problem with my MSI K7T Pro! The fans spin, but the video bios won't even sign on! I've swapped out everything except for the CPU, power supply, and RAM. I'm going to try a new power supply and stick of RAM sometime soon, and if that doesn't work, looks like I have to buy a new processor. :mad:

I replaced the power supply and RAM. Now my computer boots up now and then. CPU is OK, check your jumpers. If your motherboard supports JumperMode, disable it and do it manually. My problems started shortly after I flashed my BIOS. My floppy won't even work anymore. :confused::(:mad::(:confused:

bah, fixing that stuff isn;t that hard coz most of it is cheep. but what really pissed me off was when I can mback from a soccer trip to find that my mom had fried my monitor while in a chat romm or something. monitors (good ones) are $500 to $700 so I was super fly TNT, I was a mushrom cloud laying mother-****er when she told me, the hole damn thing had somehow over heated and cooked, you could still smell it. I think she pored water on it or something coz monitors just dont cook

Archived