Home

Microsoft HomeStation?

Wilhuf

From the rumor department:

pcformat.co.uk has posted an 'exclusive' on the Microsoft 'Homestation.' Pcformat alleges that Homestation is an upcoming all-in-one entertainment device that will play both PC and xbox games, as well as support other household entertainment devices.

There seems to be no proof of their findings, but it's still an interesting read. Thanks Blue

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was true. With more and more entertainment turning digital, it would make sense to have a single device capable of handling it all, especially if it didn't take up too much space.

Also, if they've picked up on the PC/X-Box divide, it would be logical to try and bridge the gap. As a PC gamer, I probably wouldn't touch a device that just allowed me to play X-Box and PC games - I might as well just buy an X-Box instead - but I might consider it if it came with DVD movie playback, MP3, video-on-demand, digital video recording, digital radio, and all the rest of that stuff, because it would replace all of my other ageing kit in a neat package at a potentially much lower price-point.

All they need to add is a wraparound hi-res screen I can wear like a pair of sunglasses, and I'd be able to ditch my TV as well. :D

Of course, if they are relying on broadband coverage, they can forget the UK, because it sux. Not only do you get limited broadband, you pay an inflated price for it - and you can only get it if you're living in the major cities at the moment. The current estimate is 5-10 years to cover most of the UK at the current rate, but I won't be holding my breath. :(

That's assuming this rumour isn't just a pile of old bantha poodoo. ;)

ed: ROFL :D

Shame that Linux console ran out of money before they could get it off the ground, though. It could have made a serious impact.

matt: yeah, I heard about those satellites too. But when? When? And do I really want to be tied into Microsoft for my net connection? Ugh! The thought sends shivers down my spine. ;)

Top Secret: Microsoft Working on XBox's Successor.....

Microsoft is already working on the successor to XBox, a combination of game console and PC called HomeStation.

According to rumors, the HomeStation will be able to play both PC and console games, as well as video on demand, music, messaging, and television. It will have a huge hard drive, an nVIDIA nForce system board, and Dolby Digital sound.

But so far, Microsoft is keeping the HomeStation top secret. One source said: "I can't say a thing. Listen, the thing is, Microsoft is sidestepping this so as not to distract from the Xbox. It's really hush hush hush."

[ September 09, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainRAVE ]

Archived