Home

Jedi Knotes # 2

SlowbieOne

A little update from the Jedi Outcast site. Not much, but enough to make me grin. :D

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/notes2.htm

Design currently progresses at a breakneck pace (the levels stand nearly complete architecturally, with a great deal of our focus being brought to bear on gameplay); our basic philosophy of plan, plan, plan and THEN build has saved us a great deal of time yet again.

I think this game is going to be much more incredible than we are all anticipating.:)

hmm, a rushed game, taking a few mere weeks to lay out the entire map structure for the entire game, and the philosophy of "plan plan plan, build" making little to NO room for test, balance, debug, test. This sounds to me like a game being released because it has to be out before ep 2(so thje new wave of ep 2 games can come out, of course), not a game to be released that should be taken ALL the way to nov/dec in order to balance and include lotsa content.

If you don't believe me check out Tribes 2, A.K.A. worst dissappointment of all time.

Kwup- Dont be so pessimistic. Sure, it hasnt even been a year yet, but that doesnt mean anything. Tribes 2 was in the making for a long time, and they did 2 sets of beta testing, totally changing a plethora of things after the first lot. Tribes 2, being pretty much an online game, had to have lots of time spent perfecting the netcode too. Sure, the game was buggy, and throughout the patches they even had a patch to undo a patch, but it wasnt too bad, and there's no reason to compare it to JKO.

apples and oranges again.

Different style of game (sortof)

Different engines

Different developers

Different production times

And theyre not just planning and building. They're testing quite a bit. They've said that. I'm confident they can make a game that's more than what we expect within the given timeframe.

It seems like you have a misconception of how their development phase goes.

Rather than start coding/building levels along with design stages, it appears rather that they start out with all the design docs in place, and THEN move to build. Which would then save them time from doing things like rebuilding objects to fit new design parameters and the like.

It has NO bearing whatsoever on quality assurance. That's done AFTER certain milestones are reached.

It sounds like they're yet to reach beta build, simply because there's no feature lock yet.

Note this key statement : the levels stand nearly complete architecturally

The architecture is nearly complete. Sounds like a huge portion of the work is done. That means there are still a minimum two months available to texture, beta, polish and QC. That's pretty damned good.

And Tribes2 was not a dissapointment. It's a great multiplayer game! ;)

I'm looking forward to the Bespin underworld areas that Daily Radar mentioned, btw.

If you look back at the 'lessons learned' document written about the original Jedi Knight, (you can find that at Gamasatura), you'll notice the lesson learned that creating a design document in advance and sticking to it really helps in the development process.

Originally posted by Kwup

"...hmm, a rushed game, taking a few mere weeks to lay out the entire map structure for the entire game, and the philosophy of "plan plan plan, build" making little to NO room for test, balance, debug, test..."

"...If you don't believe me check out Tribes 2, A.K.A. worst dissappointment of all time..."

no way man, WW2online was the biggest dissapointment of all time. WW2online was a mess and still is.

When i saw that new notes were out...I thought YAY and then I read them and realised that there wasnt actually that much new information released. One thing that we could tell from them is that JK2 is well on schedule......maybe even ahead of schedule and that there are no delays :)......well it made me happy anyway :)

Originally posted by digl

maybe now theyll start working heavily on mp, there are no details at all about mp yet, and only a small group of people was working on it, I hope now some people from the sp developing team will move to the mp one

You only need a few people working on mp as its such a smaller task that sp. They have lots of people working on it anyway, asnd I remember someone saying that most of the mp code is there ready anyway, their just designing the features and making the whole mp gameplay quicker with less lag.

The one part of the knote that caught my attention is the mention of they having played JK and MoS, that's good I supose, but they didn't say anything about having played the best MOD ever made. SBX 2.0 !!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they had, if not, they do so before it's too late...

Yeah, those notes didn't tell anything new, but they sure confirmed the fact that Raven has gone back to the roots like recent pics have shown us: Stormtrooper rifle model from Dark Forces has returned(oh Joy!), Bowcaster has a real string, thermal detonator resembles very first time the one shown briefly in RotJ, three eyed grans and rodians look like they were pulled straight from the movies, keeping huds from JK(inherited originally from DK) turns out to be a wise decision and brings back nostalgic memories and overally familiar looking level architecture which immediately informs you that imperials have been busy lately! :D

Its nice to see the game is on track for the spring. The pictures of JK2 do show relations to JK1. The Hud is similar, and that stormtrooper blaster is much improved. Also, the Impirial base in JK2 look more out of Star Wars than the JK1 bases did.

Originally posted by Outlaw

Its nice to see the game is on track for the spring. The pictures of JK2 do show relations to JK1. The Hud is similar, and that stormtrooper blaster is much improved. Also, the Impirial base in JK2 look more out of Star Wars than the JK1 bases did.

Its nice to see *all* the weapons have been improved.....especially the bowcaster.....look at the detail :eek:

Archived