Home

Warez community targeted in massive crackdown..just beginning

CaptainRAVE

Warez sites.....  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Warez sites.....

• YAY
    • NAY

Shortly before the launch of Operation Bucaneer, a crackdown intended to take out software pirating group Drink or Die (DoD), authorities raided Dutch university Twente, arresting several students.

Members of the warez community identified Twente as one of two major hubs for trading. The other, the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) was also raided last week.

The students are being held on charges including participating in a criminal organization, misuse of university computers, and trading software illegally.

i would like to take the time to laugh at many of you self righteous people out there.....now, i am not saying that i have never pirated some thing...however, i hate it how everyone is stealing mp3's and games and programs and such....

but, you are all overlooking something i think is quite hilarious

1. how many people have a vcr?

2. how many people record ANYTHING off of the TV?

3. how many people know that it is illegal?

4. how many people who fall under category 2 are making arguments on this subject?

if you are going to argue about mp3's, pirated programs and VIDEOS, i hope that you have never recorded a movie, tv show, or dubbed a track off of the radio....otherwise, you better have a pretty weak conscience to argue against me in good faith....

im not for warez...i hate them, but dont become elitist over the people who you are supposedly above.....

and another thing.....

personally, i think that the fbi could be doing other things with their time than preventing the unpreventable.....like....oh i don't know.....like stopping another september 11th attack?

oh wait.....that's LOGICAL!!! im silly.....this is the FBI we're talking about....what was i thinking.....

anyway, thats my 2 cents, i dont care what you say about it.....

yell at me if you want to.....im open to criticism....constructive or otherwise......

AND ANOTHER THING!!!!!

(edited into this message)

how is burning something off of the radio onto a cd or tape UNLIKE dling mp3s off of p2p systems? hmm???

the only reason they are cracked down on napster and are trying to do the same to the like is because they cannot controll anything else! they are grasping to whatever they can do to appease the record companies! the real irony here is that there are more bootleg videos and radio recordings than burned cd's, dvd's and mp3's! they claim a victory when they cut off of a head of the creature....what happens when the creature happens to be a hydra (as appears to be happening in this situation)....it is a never ending cycle, and they need to be going on an all out campaign if they intend to achieve ANYTHING....im sure that many people browsing the web wouldnt be so cold hard against these warez pirates if they realized the hypocrisy they had been committing....

grrrr........

something completely unrelated, but i think that it is funny that it is illegal to provide descriptions of games (ie NFL games) without written consent from the nfl...hahaa....its illegal for me to tell you the scores of games on tv.....hehe.....thats stupidity for ya....

the whole system is inherently and resoundingly emperically flawed...wholesale reform is needed, and there is going to be a long time to wait for that......

Originally posted by acdcfanbill

i believe that you can tape and do whatever you want with stuff shown on public TV, except make $$ off of it

if that were true, why would shows offer to let you buy the taped show for money?

it is perfectly illegal to tape shows off of tv...doesnt matter if it is public or not......if something was being broadcast over the internet, it would be illegal to record it to mp3 or divx or whatever.......its illegal.....the feds need to get a clue....

Teaching computer ethics at school may be the most effective way to avoid a future generation of computer pirates. According to experts, children are exposed to computers very early and the average age of hackers is going down.

"By the time we get them, they already believe it's right. If you're willing to bootleg music, you're willing to bootleg anything", says David Farber, Computer Science professor at the University of Pennsylvania.

By now, law enforcement officials have focused on college students who operate as computer pirates. More than 30% of commercial software in the world is being cracked and pirated.

Archived