Home

Whats an easy way to take out turrets?

00M-187

Guest Stan|SCN Punk

Well, in AOK it was possible to wipe out an enemy base with just lots and lots of infantry units :p. If you play as the Teutons, the Teutonic Knight totally kicks butt. 40 of those guys and any base you can build will be reduced to ashes.

Or 40 champions if you don't play as the Teutons.

Originally posted by Stan|SCN Punk

Well, in AOK it was possible to wipe out an enemy base with just lots and lots of infantry units :p. If you play as the Teutons, the Teutonic Knight totally kicks butt. 40 of those guys and any base you can build will be reduced to ashes.

Or 40 champions if you don't play as the Teutons.

Unless they had 10 Archers in a Castle and a small Calvary of about 10-20 units...(closed in like a fortress)

Or 40 priests, one to turn each Teutonic Knight :)

With AoE, AoK, and now GB, the nice part about these games is, for each strategy you might try, there is always a counter-strategy that works against it. So the game is different every time, and you can never be absolutely, 100% certain of winning. I love that about those games, and it's what makes them playable time and time again, while most other games, after playing them through to the end once, are not worth my time.

May the Force be with you.

Guest Stan|SCN Punk

For me personally, the key to victory is a strong economy and lots of techs to support a high quality, well rounded military.

For me personally, the key to victory is a strong economy and lots of techs to support a high quality, well rounded military.

I agree. Playing against the computer on Moderate, the comp. pretty much has to take me out with an early rush (which it almost always will try). If it can't beat me early, I will almost always win in the long run for just that reason -- I make sure I have a good economy and highly developed techs. The computer's research count is always 20-30% lower (or maybe even less) than mine, and by the end of the game, the difference will start to take its toll. Such development can put you at a military disadvantage early, and that can lead to some hair-raising moments during Age 2 or early Age 3, but if you live through the first rush or two (and with a strong economy you usually will), you will win in the long run.

Guest Stan|SCN Punk

Well, I REALLY go overboard with techs. I usually research 100 or more techs. That's why doesn't matter what strenght their forces have, I am stronger in that aspect. This is also why I rarely do anything aggressive until late tech 4.

Well, I REALLY go overboard with techs. I usually research 100 or more techs. That's why doesn't matter what strenght their forces have, I am stronger in that aspect. This is also why I rarely do anything aggressive until late tech 4.

That's exactly what I do. I usually have over 95% of the techs researched (sometimes more than 100%, though I'm not quite sure how that's possible...). I'm usually well into level 4 tech before I start assembling a really serious army... though if I am playing 2-on-2 with a comp. ally, I do make a small "hit squad" of about 4 fighters and 3 bombers, if possible, to send to his base, just to help defend him against our enemies' rushes (my ally often does not defend himself adequately). At times of intense pressure on my ally from 2 fronts (which almost always means I'm being totally left alone), I have been known to build mech factories and airbases inside his town, and leave a few workers there to repair his buildings (or mine). Thereby making reinforcing him much easier, and preventing the bad guys from taking him out 2-on-1.

Though, I admit I have become a fan of the drop-n-spank, and sometimes if the bad guys are harassing my ally, I will drop 5 pummels on one of their towns just to distract them.

May the Force be with you.

Guest Stan|SCN Punk

Well, the tech count thing was set back in AOK. 100 techs = 100% (because every civ has a different tech count). So if you research more than 100 techs, you research more than 100%.

Well, the tech count thing was set back in AOK. 100 techs = 100% (because every civ has a different tech count). So if you research more than 100 techs, you research more than 100%.

I figured that was probably true, but it is rather silly. Each civ. has a known # of techs... it's not as if they are random or variable. Dividing the # of techs you researched (which is a known number) by the maximum number you could research (also known) should give the percentage. It'd be nice if they had tweaked it to do that. It really is sloppy not to.

Guest Stan|SCN Punk

Yeah, but imagine if you selected full tech tree, then it's all different again ;) ('cos of unique techs). So the programmers had a choice of doing a percentage for 12 different possibilities, or just one. I think the choice is rather obvious for them.

Yeah, but imagine if you selected full tech tree, then it's all different again ;) ('cos of unique techs). So the programmers had a choice of doing a percentage for 12 different possibilities, or just one. I think the choice is rather obvious for them.

Personally I would have taken away the percentage and just said,

"You made ____ techs..."

Guest Stan|SCN Punk

In the case that your enemy does not have all range technologies or did not research them, fully upgraded assault mechs and hvy assault mechs will outrange turrets as well. Of course, I meant ground turrets around AA turrets ;).

Archived