Home

FAQ light saber blocking info

Dirth Vedar

3.06 Gameplay How will a player block shots with the lightsaber in Jedi Outcast?

As the player advances through Jedi Outcast, they become stronger with the Force. The lightsaber Force power controls your ability to attack, defend, throw and control the lightsaber as well as your ability to block blaster bolts (and other energy shots) with it. As you advance in experience, you become more adept at blocking shots with your lightsaber. This increases the number of shots you can block as well as the size of the arc you can block in and where the bolts go when they're deflected. As you advance to the higher levels, you become more proficient at blocking attacks to the point where you can even return the shots directly at the enemy who fired them.

3.07 Do you need to activate blocking or learn a specific skill in order to block attacks?

The specific skill you need is your lightsaber force power, which is functionally a "passive" ability. Kyle instinctively uses the Force to block shots to the best of his ability based on his lightsaber skill/Force power level. As the player, you don't need to specifically control the blade movements and parries of your lightsaber; rather, you need to maneuver Kyle so he's in a position to defend himself. Once you do that, the level of his lightsaber Force power will determine how adept he is at deflecting the attacks.

--------------

Sounds like the light saber blocking will be very similar to JK. In the beginning, you won't be able to block worth crap, meaning you'll most likely be hanging on to that ST rifle. It seems like only in very late in the game, with enough experience, will you be able to truly block proficiently with the light saber.

Doesn't sound like much has changed from JK. The fact that you have to move into a position to block, and it only blocks certain arc, means that you'll probably still get shot as you run around with the light saber, without much protects... sigh...

I wish that at the very least, the implement a system where your force improves as you use them or something. Because if they just incrementally increase your force powers as levels progress, most people will probably just shelf their light saber till late the in the game, where they're suddenly a light saber master without ever having to use it.

I say reward those who use the weapon, so that if you constantly use the light saber, then your proficiency goes up, so you become a saber jedi master early in the game rather than just the last level. :p

But it's a disturbing trend, I am not sure i like what I am seeing.

It sounds very much like the auto-blocking in JK. I was one of those hoping for some manual blocking this time around, so I share some of Dirth Vedar's reservations. :(

In MotS especially (the first level on Hard setting) I remember all too often not being able to swing the saber to attack Stormtroopers because it was auto-blocking a lot of blaster fire from elsewhere. When you get too many shots coming at you...all you end up doing is blocking, instead of attacking. So it almost negates the idea of using the saber in that situation...and could potentially make it very much harder to complete the game using saber and Force alone (particularly in the early stages of the game).

As wardz said, it's hard to judge without seeing it in action, but I do have some doubts.

I'm rather happy to hear that movement will be the key to using this power because this probably means that attacks will be mostly movement based.

Movement based bodes well for the pace of the game, because if you guys wanted to manually swing, etc., the game-pace would have to be slowed down. One of JK's best attributes was it's pace in FF and NF.

Besides, look what happened when Sierra/Dynamix tried slowing down T2. It screwed it up..

If I correctly understood Force Power (and Force Lightsabre too) are assigned by the game itself. At certain points you have new powers but to improve them you have to actually use them. So probably when you receive tha sabre you gain also Force Lightsaber, which lets you throw your sabre and block. I don't know if blocking requires Force Mana. If so you cannot simply stand still and watching ST firing at you. You have to fight!

Well, my question is still how you advance in force experience. Is it a matter of beating each level and move on, so additional forces are granted in the same manner as JK (in the form of stars), except assigned by the computer, or whether you advance your skill RPG style, where the more you use a skill, the better you get. And if so, can you stand still and practice till the cows come home in level 2, and walk through the rest of the game as a jedi master, or must your force hit somebody for your experience to go up?

Although I like the incrementally improve as you use model, it does have its problems, because it may force players to stand still to "practice" until they become a jedi master... unless of course, you have to actually kill something for experience to go up... but then what about powers like force see?

Also, if force experiences are given incrementally as they are exercised, then it'll screw over gunners who may not like to run through the level with nothing but a light saber, but still need sabers for fighting bosses. There'll be no way for a gunner to improve his light saber skills or any other skills in order to aid him in the final battle. So it forces everyone, whether they like it or not to run through the game as a jedi rather than a ex-stormtrooper. Afterall, your gun shooting accuracy doesn't improve as you use your weapon more right?

I am just pondering the possible ways Raven can implement this force improvement thing. It seems it'll be somewhat complex to get it right. But then, I am sure those raven guys are smarter than me.

as I understand, you will start off without any force and lightsaberless..

after you retrieve your saber, all powers are granted to you but at a weaker level.. ie you must stand still for force heal to work

you can advance up 3 levels and all powers will simultaneously advance in strength.. at the last force level, force heal works even while you're moving + fighting

Originally posted by StormHammer

"...It sounds very much like the auto-blocking in JK. I was one of those hoping for some manual blocking this time around, so I share some of Dirth Vedar's reservations..."

no way. i love the auto blocking. i'm happy with what they are going with.

You people have to admit, that "Force blocking" or whatever it will be called, is at least much closer to the way movies explained it to us. Like Obi-Wan said to Luke in ANH while practicing with remote: "Let go your conscious self and act on instict." That is what it calls for, using the Force, which partially controls your actions(but also obeys your commands). :D

Archived