Home

The Lord of the Rings

MeddlingMonk

Seems like this is the only forum anywhere without a LOTR thread. Well, no more. :p Besides, there needs to be some distraction from the loopiness plaguing the board.

Is there anyone who hasn't seen it yet? Shame on you if you haven't.

Strange thing, at three hours it was too short. Of course, the movie focuses mainly on the action parts, skipping like a stone over the book's surface. Not really a complaint. It could hardly be otherwise. The movie makes an effort to make up for what it skips by putting in subtle references to what gets left out: Merry and Pippin don't find the petrified trolls from The Hobbit, but they can be glimpsed when Arwen comes upon the company; the gift-giving of Galadriel is mostly absent, yet the Fellowship all leave Lorien wearing the leaf-clasps and green cloaks.

The movie, despite focusing on action, is thick with detail. Jackson (the director) even pulls in information from the 'Silmarillion' (broadly defined). That can throw off some people, those not very familiar with Tolkien.

A little humorous trivia: A movie version of LOTR was first seriously proposed in 1958. Since Tolkien was still alive, the film treatment was sent to him for comment and he ripped it to shreds. Among the many screwy things proposed in the treatment, orcs have feathers!

Tolkien complained to Rayner Unwin (son of his publisher and, incidentally, who as a child persuaded his father to publish The Hobbit) that the person behind the treatment had a "complete lack of respect for the original," a deficiency Peter Jackson more than makes up for.

Yeah, they've finished all of them, and the next one (The Two Towers?) will be out same time next year.

Yep, very good movie. It seems like the filmmakers did the very best they could at including as much from the book as possible in a 3-hour movie. I'll be buying the series tomorrow to start reading.

Another convert. :cool:

There was an article in the local paper the week the movie came out, an interview with a retired professor and Tolkien nut (for a recent birthday, his wife had a custom, Middle-earth-themed fireplace installed in their house). He said at one point that the movies were going to hook yet another generation.

If you're not careful, you'll wind up with 47 books by and about Tolkien just like me.

Check out The Tolkien Society. And The Encyclopedia of Arda.

• 4 weeks later...

I absolutely adore The Hobbit, but especially LOTR - I only recently saw the film (where I live is a couple of months behind the rest of the world) but thought it was absolutely excellent. The way they shrunk the Hobbits and other special effects were great, plus they were really sweet, especially Sam!

Can't belive they cut Tom Bombadil though! He's vastly underrated! ;)

i saw lord of the rings a while ago now, thought it was pretty good to actually live up to all the hype on it, also i cant be bothered to check if this has been mentioned before but did anyone see the land rover in the film being driven across one of the landscapes in the background, i didn't see it myself but the people i went with did, i don't know what the point of it was but i know there definately is one.by the way black hawk down rules;)

13 nominations isn't good! cos apparently if you get loads of nominations you'll hardly win any! :( I hope they do win some cos they do deserve them, it was a great film!

sorry if this has been asked, but wot everyone fav character in LOTR???

Mine is Pipin he was ace, lol!

Archived