Home

Clothes of the Jedi Knight

Lord_FinnSon

Should Kyle have traditional Jedi wardrobe in addition to his "mercenary" clothes?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should Kyle have traditional Jedi wardrobe in addition to his "mercenary" clothes?

• Yes! Nothing beats a good old vest & sash when dueling againts fierce Sith Lord!
    • No! We don't need no stinking Jedi rags!
    • What are talking about, old hermit?

We discussed about this here a long time ago(and also in several other places) and now, when JK2 is few months away from possible completion, I think it's right time to take this topic back to consideration. I remember that Raven people said very early on that they might change Kyle's textures(if I understood correctly that meant his clothes) later and now after all these months, latest pics still show him wearing same clothes he had in JK(about nine years earlier). Of course I have to admit that this time they look like real clothes(thanks to advanced visuals) and they suit him quite well as an old mercenary, but in MotS he had kind of commando/military type armor reminiscent of Jedi wardrobe Luke wore in RotJ; this might have meant to show us visually that he was much more closer to the Dark Side. I also understand the fact that at the beginning of JK2 Kyle still lacks Force powers, because he fears he might turn back to the Dark Side, but when game goes further, and he gets his powers back gradually, it should also show stylistically his growth as becoming much more promising Jedi Knight. Therefore Kyle could wear clothes which reflect his gray status(he walks a path between Light and Dark side) and in the same time draw inspiration from traditional Jedi wardrobe, because he takes his role much more seriously this time around. I guess that is what this whole Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series is all about: hard choices that you must make to become a real Jedi Knight, and Star Wars has always told the story also visually.

Originally posted by psycoglass

I'd like to see him in some more tradition Jedi apparel. You know the big heavy robes that hide their face and add crap loads of mystery and a sense of power under the hood

kyle is never gonna wear robes. i like the way kyle dresses now. in multiplayer i'm sure they have jedi with robes.

Al though I was talking about more traditional Jedi gear, I didn't mean Kyle should also have robe, because I think that is too much something that only Old Republic's Jedi would wear; besides, as a mercenary Kyle doesn't exactly have a religious side that made Jedi Knights look like monks with these on. Part of the clothes that would immediately make you believe, he is a Jedi are: vest and sash. Here is a good reference picture.

robes_tuts_tabard01.gif

This other pic shows that also Luke have same pieces of clothing over his jumpsuit, but with much darker tones.

Luke-signal.jpg

Like you see, Kyle could still have dark pants that he always seems to wear, military boots(like Luke) and same shirt that he already have, but this time underneath the vest. Gunbelt(with lightsaber hilt) is over sash. :D

I'm not sure Jedi apparel would be really suitable for Kyle. I've always viewed him as a reluctant Jedi, a loner who simply did what he had to do...and used whatever was at his disposal to accomplish his mission. He runs the knife edge between the dark and light, which is one of the reasons why he is an Outcast. He's even more of a renegade than Qui-Gon, and look what he started through his (apparently) misguided beliefs.

No, I think the rough-and-ready look is more suitable...although I would like to see some variation this time around. That set of mercenary gear must be getting a bit threadbare by now. ;)

The traditional description of a Jediknight is a trained Force-sensitive who adheres to the Council's wishes.

Luke Skywalker never gave Kyle any official training, neither did any other Knight//Master who can teach to a degree sufficient. He just picked it up along the storyline in DF2: JK. Technically, he isn't a Jediknight.

Where he would come by an instance where he would need Jedi robes, I wouldn't know. Unless he wanted to paint a large target on his forehead and parade around in an army of enemies, I wouldn't like to see him running around in heavy Jedi robes. The mercenary clothing we see him in JK is good enough for me. In fact, it suits the character well. Kyle isn't mysterious, considering his running record of dealing with obstacles - blow them down! Unless he changed drastically, I don't see a sufficient amount of justification to wear Jedi robes.

However, the sash and vest have always been a favourite for Jedi whom like to blast their way through things (Luke in RotJ and Qui-Gon in Ep-1, particularly when he is fighting Maul). I vote yes on the sash and vest.

Always the best,

-Slonn

The sash and vest would be okay, but I don't really like the idea of robes. I just can't see anyone in heavy jedi robes whipping out a concussion rifle and pummelling some stormies with it. Or even a bowcaster. MAYBE a bryar pistol or thermal detonator.

Now there's an idea. Maybe have an ambushed ambasador (sorry about the Ep. I overtones) series of missions where Kyle only has his saber, pistol, and detonators, and is wearing jedi robes. Of course he would have to win favor with the rest of the jedi first. Also, if that isn't in now it's a bit late, but what is this board for? Wishing!

(btw, anyone else remember the old weaps from DF?)

Archived