Home

nVidia Delays GeForce 4

CaptainRAVE

nVidia will announce its new graphics chip on February 5th. It was initially expected that the chip, codenamed NV25, would feature in the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. The reasons behind this delay are not clear and nVidia are keeping a tight lid on new features.

The NV25 will most probably be called "GeForce 4" since the company sees it as the next generation of its previous chip. Various reports claim that the new chip will feature six pixel processing pipelines instead of the four used by GeForce 3. NV25 is also expected to feature significantly higher clock speeds, faster memory interfaces, and improved antialiasing capabilities.

The announcement of the new chip comes less than a year after GeForce 3 was released, late February 2001, and while a half-way product range, dubbed Titanium, was also introduced in October. nVidia have certainly been trying hard to convince us that they want our money.

Along with the NV25 the graphics giant will also release the NV17-M, a desktop version of the NV17. This chip was initially announced in November 2001 in Las Vegas. It is a GeForce 2-3 hybrid and may be available as early as Q1 2002.

EDIT:

Sources- ExtremeTech, Mega Games.(The exact lettering is the latter, original source is most likely former.) Please add sources from now on please.

Extreme Tech Article

http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s%253D201%2526a%253D20647,00.asp

Mega Games Article.

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/hardware/nvidiadelaysgeforce4.shtml

Well, that's a good and a bad thing, digl. It's bad if you're trying to sell on an older card...but good if you want to pick up a GeForce 3 at a lower cost. I guess I'm in a better position than some because I intend to upgrade my second PC (which I've allowed my son to use), with the older components from my main machine as I upgrade to newer stuff.

So I look forward to the arrival of the GeForce 4...so that I can get a GeForce 3 cheaper. :)

I think you got what I said backwards

I want the the GF4 released to buy a cheap GF3, just like you do

Its also true that Its bad If I want to sell my current GF DDR, but here 3D cards arrive late, so I will probably be able to sell mine at a high price, and get a GF3 cheap from the US :D

Originally posted by StormHammer

Hmmm...you're last post can be read both ways, I guess. ;)

Sounds like you're in a better position than me. :)

I read my post again and I understand now :)

I didnt say clearly, this sucks, because I wont get a cheap GF3 :D

About the better position, that will be just If I get someone that goes to the US to buy me a GF3. Maybe my mother, but Im not sure when she is going

These videocards are becoming so fast that the games can't keep up. In the past I think it used to be the other way around. I have a Geforce 3 ti 200 in my new PC and it runs the latest games with blazing speed. My old PC has a Geforce 1 DDR card in it which still runs games at fast speeds in 32bit color. For the first time a can say you may be better off purchasing an older card for less than buying the latest at higher prices. When Doom 3 and Unreal 2 are released this view may change but not today.

Unreal II should be fine running on a GF3...I think they are even developing that game mostly on machines with lower spec graphics cards.

Doom III is another matter...but then, I don't expect to see that game for at least another year, by which time we should see announcements for a GF5 (or equivalent). So I'm not worried. My next card is going to be a GF3, not GF4 (unless I win the lottery, of course, and then I will easily spend £50k on my idea of an ultimate computer suite...). :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived