Home

Dragon Ball

Guest Sherack Nhar

Guest Sherack Nhar

To celebrate my new avatar, I thought of starting this thread.

Anybody into the manga Dragon Ball (or Dragon Ball Z) here? I like it! The drawings are really good - pure Akira Toriyama stuff. His drawings in Chrono Trigger are also very good. However, his characters tend to be too muscular as of late. I much preferred the old style.

My favourite character is - believe it or not - Yamcha (hence my avatar). His debut in the original Dragon Ball was hilarious!

What is your favourite character? Do you have any complaints about the series?

Guest Sherack Nhar

Okay, for those who don't know what Dragon Ball is:

It's a "manga" (japanese comic book) that is very popular both in Japan and here stateside. It is divided in two series:

The original "Dragon Ball": It's the adventures of a child, Son Goku, in search of the Dragonballs, seven mystical balls scattered throughout the world that, when reunited, will summon a sacred dragon (Shenron) who will grant a wish. The story contains both humor and action. Son Goku is a very special child: he has a monkey tail. When there is a full moon and he looks at it, he (unwillingly) transforms into a huge, gorilla-like creature called "Oozaru". Goku can't control himself in this form, he just destroys everything in his sight. Unfortunately, he killed his step step grandfather while in this form.

The next series is much widely known: "Dragon Ball Z". This series delves into Goku's origins as a "Saiyan" (Saiya-jin in japanese). This series is all about combat and power: the heroes meet an evil foe much stronger than them, they train and become stronger, and they defeat the evil foe. They meet another evil foe even more stronger, they train even more, etc. The Saiyans, being much more powerful than ordinary earthlings, steal the show. Thus, the human characters take a much less important role in this series (which is my main complaint about it - nobody cares about Yamcha and Kuririn anymore :( ).

Being a huge success, they translated the manga into an anime (a TV show).

There is a third series called Dragon Ball GT, but Akira Toriyama isn't the author, so it's mostly considered non-canonical. Also, I don't think there's a Dragon Ball GT manga, only an anime. GT isn't coming stateside either - it's a japan-only product.

I hope that helps :D

I love DBZ! I personally like Piccolo, especially towards the end of the series. He is silent and edgy but not very powerful when facing opponents.

Guest DarkTrooper

i am not really into cartoons the only one i watch is south Park. which is the funniest show ever. but one of my favorite shows is battlebots. that show is the best. me and my dad were working on making one out of a lawnmower but it was too expensive so we had to stop. for the people who dont know what battlebots is. it is like wrestling but with robots. their site isBattlebots central

My impression of DBZ

Good Guy: I hate you bad guy. I will stop you, and your bad guy friends. You will die

Bad Guy: Oh yeah. I will kill you and all your friends. Then I'll blow up the earth. But before that, how bout we talk for the next 3 hours before finally fighting for 5 minutes, and then go back to talking again

Good Guy: Sounds good :eek:

Guest DarkTrooper
Originally posted by Bobio

My impression of DBZ

Good Guy: I hate you bad guy. I will stop you, and your bad guy friends. You will die

Bad Guy: Oh yeah. I will kill you and all your friends. Then I'll blow up the earth. But before that, how bout we talk for the next 3 hours before finally fighting for 5 minutes, and then go back to talking again

Good Guy: Sounds good :eek:

its more like this:

good guy: aaaaaaaaahhhhhh you wont get away with this you sinister villan

bad guy: Huuuuuuuuh how dare you insult me you will die

good guy: i will beat you be fore you try

whats your guyz fav bots

Guest WC_heavyarms

more like this:

Good Guy: I will kick your sorry butt all over the earth if you touch one innocent person!

Bad Guy: Ya, I'll do the same to you!

Good guy: no you won't!

Bad Guy Yes I will!

Bad Guy Yes I will!

Bad Guy Yes I will!

Bad Guy Yes I will!

Bad Guy Yes I will!

(goes on for 20 minutes

wanna fight? Sure lets go!

Guest Sherack Nhar

I take it you guys are referring to the TV show.

Sure, the dialogue is far from perfect, but then again, the series is not about that... There's much more action in the manga, and you don't have to wait a day to see another 30 minute of a fight...

It's a manga, not a novel. Those who never saw it should go buy the first manga in the series. Who knows, maybe you'll like it!

Guest Tie Guy

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate DragonBall Z!!!! and all anime!!!!

*runs out of room suddenly realizing he is surrounded by anime lovers*

;)

Yeah Sherack it does have some of the best art around...the thing that freaks me out is the artist's fasination with ROCKS...they could be battling 1000ft about ground and somehow rocks are still flying...but it is awesome art...and the power moves + the concept of it all...just cool...:D

Guest Master Yoda

DBZ IS AWESOME!!NOT as good as Star Wars though. My favorite charactar is either Gohan SSj2 or Trunks SSj2 they are both kewl.

MASEENKO!!!

Guest Sherack Nhar

Jedi_masta, if you would have read the entire thread, you would have noticed that I did mention Dragonball GT...

Here in Quebec, the show airs at 8:00 PM... Can't wait for tonight... I think it'll be the match against Goten and Trunks for the Budokai Children Championship!

Fergie and heavyarms, what episode did you just watched?

Archived