Home

That Quake 3 "look"

dazilla

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Executor32

Well, I've played Q3A, EF, and RtCW a lot, and I have to say that I have no idea what you're talking about, SaberPro. I don't see anything special about the floor textures, and the HUD, while dim, looks a LOT more like JK than Q3A. ;) The dimness can be explained by the HUD alpha setting of the guy who took the screenshots.

I don't know, it's a feeling (Force Feel?!) that the game is made with Quake 3 Engine. You know, objects in Q3A are usually bulky, and has its own "style" of texture, EVEN THOUGH it is realistically the same thing (comparing JK Engine to Q3A Engine). While Jedi Knight textures are pretty much flat...in a way

About the floor...have you EVER seen a JK map with floor that looks like floor made from Q3A engine (the same texture)? For example, in the picture, you see the console above the catwalk? That texture is made very similar to JK, but do you have a feel that it is more realistic, or better made or better shown by the Q3A Engine?

ugh sounds complicated..but it's just a feel....of more realistic...or more coloring? Damn it's hard to explain... :(

Originally posted by A Big Fat CoW

screen050.jpg

that image (if it worked right..) reminds me WAAY too much of elite force.. i dunno.. maybe its because of the lighting (to the right of the crosshair), somewhat because of the textures that i dont think fit quite right (down and slightly to the left of the crosshair).. plus the pod-shaped thing directly below the crosshair doesnt quite fit, and the textures waaayy to the left, near the doorway, look too trek-ish... i dunno, maybe im insane (well, i am..), but it doesnt look right.. and also the glove.. reminds me of the POV in elite force..

Really? When I saw that pic I imediately thought "Oh, I know that place. That's Nar Shadda." Maybe it's just because I mainly play SW FPS (as opposed to anything else FPS), but that is one of the most StarWarsy shots I've seen.

Also notice that the HUD isn't really dark in this at all.

Originally posted by StarScrap

Really? When I saw that pic I imediately thought "Oh, I know that place. That's Nar Shadda." Maybe it's just because I mainly play SW FPS (as opposed to anything else FPS), but that is one of the most StarWarsy shots I've seen.

Also notice that the HUD isn't really dark in this at all.

The picture reminds me of Deus Ex first...then comes Nar Shaddaa....

About the HUD, the HUD lights up because it is in a dark area....I still have that weird feeling making me believe that it's made from Q3A engine....argh....I guess the lightning in the game comes into play when trying to recognize which engine it is made from...:confused: :confused:

LOL

I didn't know it was built with a Q3 engine until a couple of weeks ago I saw the screenshots :)

ITS NOT MY IMAGINATION DAMMIT!!!!!!!

If I have time, I'll post like a Guide how to distinguish Q3A engine from JK engine...ugh:p

:mad:

Oh I hate psycology..

Originally posted by SaberPro

LOL

i tell from the dim HUDs and the floor textures

Just wondering, when Kyle jumps in JK2, does it make the noise like "huh!" and when Kyle gets hurt, it makes the noise like "woo-oh" like in Q3A does? :)

Don't think so ...

After all, Q 3 jumping is lame compared to Kyle ...

SaberPro... The HUD is simply the DF series though it is interacting but that's the only way that u can tell it's Q3 engine but why get rid of a good thing?..... also that's pretty bad screenshot and it dos show that Q3 look though that isn't the q3 look. If u didn't have that or the beam......... i dunno. u can jsut tell.... like instinct. likewhen ur in cs and u jsut go into a darkspot and cropugh just incase and then a guy comes.

Originally posted by Bio Warrior

one way i can tell its the Q3 engine is that my mouse wheel never works in it

If you are by chance using Windows XP, there is a way to fix it. Go to Start, Control Panel, then Mouse. Click the Buttons tab, at the bottom of that window, you should see an option for Use MS Office Compatibility Scroll Only and Scoll Active Window Only. Click the box next to both of them to put a check there. Hit Apply and you should be good to go.

help.jpg

Hope this helps you. :) I had a similar problem, the mousewheel would scroll windows but whenever I got into a game, I wouldn't work. This fixed it for me.

I have played all the Q3 based games except for QIII (Ironic, is it not?). Elite Force I think had a very distinctive Q3 feel to it. But from the screenshots, I'd say that Jedi Knight II as a "feeling" all its own. Really the only way to tell what type of "feeling" it will have is to play it once it comes out.

Actually, it has nothing to do with WinXP. The reason you can do that is because you have a Logitech mouse, and have Logitech Mouseware installed. I know because I have a Logitech iFeel mouse, and I can do this in Win98 SE.

As I said earlier, the reason the HUD looks dim in some shots yet brighter in others is that the player was using different HUD alpha settings at the times the screenshots were taken. All Q3 engine games have this option. Take Return to Castle Wolfenstein for example. I found that my HUD was too dark in RtCW, especially in the catacombs, so I turned the HUD alpha setting all the way up. The difference was about as great as that between the two JKII screens in question.

Of course the Q3 engine is going to look different than the JK engine! The Q3 engine is two generations higher in terms of graphics than JK, and thus anything in the Q3 engine is going to look a lot more realistic and detailed than JK. Compared to even Q2, JK's graphics were crap! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Agen_Terminator

SaberPro... The HUD is simply the DF series though it is interacting but that's the only way that u can tell it's Q3 engine but why get rid of a good thing?..... also that's pretty bad screenshot and it dos show that Q3 look though that isn't the q3 look. If u didn't have that or the beam......... i dunno. u can jsut tell.... like instinct. likewhen ur in cs and u jsut go into a darkspot and cropugh just incase and then a guy comes.

Half Life looks like Quake 2 engine....

On the picture I circled, I missed a couple of spots...(ie. the beam holding up the catwalk...etc)

I dont think it's a bad screenshot at all.....oh well let's stop :)

Do you people realize that you're judging an entire game based on half a dozen screenshots that MAY or MAY NOT look similar to other games, based solely on YOUR perception?

And why are we even having this debate? We already know the Q3 engine was used. Of course it's going to bear some marked similarities to it (most notably the complete absense of bump mapping - an issue I'm still at arms with).

The fact remains that Jedi Outcast looks SO MUCH better than Jedi Knight. Yes, there have been other games developed using the same engine that look even better, but that's not the point. The point is we have a FPS set in the Star Wars universe in which we get to play a saber-wielding Jedi Knight and battle foe after foe of bad guys to our heart's content; and it's powered by the Quake 3 engine!

What more could you possibly asked for?

(that's a rhetorical question, btw - grin)

Nyghtfall, I'm a Star Wars fan myself, but it's still really funny to read some of these threads here and see how picky we can be, especially when we know that someone is reading our posts. I can relate to some of these oppinions, because I know how excited I can be when trying to explain all these things to my friends and those discussions can be long and detailed about Jedi Knights, for example, and what their situation was in the Old Republic. Still, I have to calm myself time to time and remember, how silly little things they all are in the end. Who knows some day, after ten-fifteen years, we all are laughing to these thoughts we are now pondering in our mind. Perhaps then there are new generation of SW fans, who are using DVD copies of whole Star Wars saga as referencial material when they go through these same debates. ;)

Originally posted by Nyghtfall

Do you people realize that you're judging an entire game based on half a dozen screenshots that MAY or MAY NOT look similar to other games, based solely on YOUR perception?

And why are we even having this debate? We already know the Q3 engine was used. Of course it's going to bear some marked similarities to it (most notably the complete absense of bump mapping - an issue I'm still at arms with).

The fact remains that Jedi Outcast looks SO MUCH better than Jedi Knight. Yes, there have been other games developed using the same engine that look even better, but that's not the point. The point is we have a FPS set in the Star Wars universe in which we get to play a saber-wielding Jedi Knight and battle foe after foe of bad guys to our heart's content; and it's powered by the Quake 3 engine!

What more could you possibly asked for?

(that's a rhetorical question, btw - grin)

Well well well, let's be some cool niggaz (sorry, just watched Pulp Fiction again, woohaaa)

Nobody said this game looks bad !

It loooks great !

We only said that you can see that it is powered by the same great engine the best looking fps are powered by ....

For me, that's a positive thing ...

Originally posted by Sturmgewehr

Executor32, I had the same options without the Logitech software installed and with mice by different manufactuer's without their software installed. This option isn't limited to Logitech mice.

I have Logitech Cordless mouse and keyboard, which I recommend, but just you have to change battery once in a while..

Hint: Don't EVER download their software...it messes your mouse up after a while

Originally posted by Com Raven

Is there any big benefit I miss if I don't use mousesoftware ??

Suppose not ...

Not really, it's fully operational.

Even in the manual or something, it said you DO NOT need its software to use the mouse and keyboard...

Originally posted by SaberPro

Well, I'm not imagining things at all. If you can't tell, maybe you haven't played Q3A in your life.

"imagining" was a pun. See how imag is bolded? Image? eh? Anyways...

They're just pictures posted up on the left and right side of your screen! No more! It'd look the same in any other engine. Also, JK's textures would look "flat" because the JK engine doesn't use as deep of a color palette that the Q3 family does.

Guest X-Vector

The fact remains that Jedi Outcast looks SO MUCH better than Jedi Knight.

You know what, Jedi Outcast also looks much better than Dark Forces, DooM, Wolfenstein 3D and Pong.

Just a snippet from the Gamespy preview to show that some of us are not seeing ghosts:

For sure the game is looking great and certainly the best the series has ever looked, but after seeing what Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault can do with the engine, we've come to expect more.

I agree that gameplay comes first (and atmosphere second IMO), but that doesn't mean we have to pretend not to see what we see.

Executor32, actaully, the more I think about it, I think I'm wrong. Maybe it is limited to the Logitech software. In any case, if you've got a Logitech mouse, Bio Warrior, that would fix your problem, probably anyways. :)

"Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."

I'm not asking you to pretend anything. My point is that we already know the game is using the Q3 engine. My question is why there's any bebating the appearance of tihs fact.

dazilla originally wrote, "I couldn't help but notice from the screens that the game seems to have the same "look" as quake 3 and elite force."

All three games use the same engine. Of course they're going "look" like Quake 3. What point was he/she trying to make? What would he/she like to see happen, a game developed using a particular engine, yet show no evidence that that particular engine was used?

I'm not asking you to pretend anything. My point is that we already know the game is using the Q3 engine. My question is why there's any bebating the appearance of tihs fact.

dazilla originally wrote, "I couldn't help but notice from the screens that the game seems to have the same "look" as quake 3 and elite force."

All three games use the same engine. Of course they're going "look" like Quake 3. What point was he/she trying to make? What would he/she like to see happen, a game developed using a particular engine, yet show no evidence that that particular engine was used?

Its not that he/she wouldn't care if the game was developer in Quake3 (this IS Jedi Outcast :p ), but its the fact that it looks more obvious than he/she likes or wants.

Archived