Home

System Req's?

Lt. Durden

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, didnt notice the cheeky girn :D.........im in a sour mood because Im in the UK and will have to wait til Saturday morning to get the JK2 trailer :(.........and that I havent got my T3 computer at the moment to stream it very well.........so im hoping *hint, hint* that someone will upload it so I can download it :)..also for other people with 56K modems :)

That's OK - I'm glad it's sorted :)

I'm in the UK too - and stuck with 56k also :(

I'm going to stay up 'til God-knows-when on Thursday night and see it ASAP after it's released :D

If you are a member (or become one...) you could see it Friday (or Thursday if you fancy staying up ridiculously late ;)) - you wouldn't have to wait until Saturday :)

Okay, a few questions:

GUNNER: How much does the 66 MHz system bus slow the processor?

I have a 4 MB AGP video card...does anyone know where I can find a better one? Cheap? (sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm a total newbie at this x_X)

And erm...what's a mobo? :o

4MB vid card? whoa! Dude, you can get a geForce 2 MX 32Mb for cheap. You definitely need more than 4Mb lol. Did it come with the computer you bought?

I used to have an old nVidia 16Mb TNT and got a 32Mb one. Big change. And it runs RtCW and Max Payne (all at the lowest settings of course since I have a crappy old PII 400) just fine.

Get at least a 32Mb card

Oh, and a mobo = motherboard

Heart of your PC. Well, where you plug all your stuff to...

Originally posted by Jade Skyhiker

4MB vid card? whoa! Dude, you can get a geForce 2 MX 32Mb for cheap. You definitely need more than 4Mb lol. Did it come with the computer you bought?

I used to have an old nVidia 16Mb TNT and got a 32Mb one. Big change. And it runs RtCW and Max Payne (all at the lowest settings of course since I have a crappy old PII 400) just fine.

Get at least a 32Mb card

Oh, and a mobo = motherboard

Heart of your PC. Well, where you plug all your stuff to...

:o yes, it came with

geForce 2 MX? Thankies, I'll look into it :D

redwing, definitely get a new video card....heh...but if i were you, i would probably get one of the new geforce4 mx cards...they are easier on the wallet and better performance than the geforce2mx....while if you want somethign that will last a little longer, go for the geforce3 ti 500 (they have dropped prices recently) or the geforce4 ti4200...if you want the whole shebang, go for the geforce4 ti4600...

I have to disagree with all but the GF4MX idea, thrEEp.

It would be utterly pointless for him to spend several hunded on a GF4 without upgrading his motherboard, RAM, and CPU - and possibly his monitor. He would see very little difference between a GF2 64MB and a GF4 Ti4600 (or even a GF3) due to the slow overall system speed, and that old 66MHz bus Celeron.

So I assume a GF2 would run with a 66MHz system bus?

Originally posted by JPMaimilian (in another thread)

There is nothing wrong with ATX cases, its just a standard for what motherboards will fit in it. Granted there are some poor ATX cases though, but plenty of good ones. I'd go for a custom built machine, or you could add the following 3 parts to your system:

1 Abit KG7 Raid Mainboard $189

2 AMD Athlon XP 1800 OEM $230.00

3 Registered ECC DDR 512MB PC2100 Memory 266Mhz $229.00

Total: $648.00

Thats my rant from a person who works at a computer store, the prices might have changed though.

http://www.champaigncomputer.com

I looked up some prices at http://www.pricewatch.com/ and I see Athlon XP for $50 :eek:

EDIT: Not systems however...

Would I need a new computer tower to install the above components however? (yes, I'm a newbie :rolleyess)

Originally posted by Redwing

So I assume a GF2 would run with a 66MHz system bus?

I looked up some prices at http://www.pricewatch.com/ and I see Athlon XP for $50 :eek:

EDIT: Not systems however...

Would I need a new computer tower to install the above components however? (yes, I'm a newbie :rolleyess )

A GF2 will work with a 66MHz system bus - but If you're going to get an Athlon you will need a new mobo, probably with a 266MHz system bus. (Notice the difference? Four time the system bus speed!)

Unfortunately, you will almost certainly need a new PSU (Power Supply Unit) if you get a new mobo - AFAIK AT PSUs cannot be used for ATX mobos, and from what you said a while ago, you have an AT mobo + PSU. A good quality 300+ Watt ATX PSU should cost you about $50 or so (You need 300W minimum for Athlons - more wattage = more stability, but you probably won't need more than 350W)

I have no idea whether the dimensions of AT and ATX PSUs are different, but if they are, you will likely need a new case... another $50 for a reasonable one... maybe a bit more...

Keep asking and we'll keep helping :)

Archived