Home

The Final Frontier?

Booya2020

How will ships be handled in space? Im gessing the won't be, no building the boats. This spacetileset is very strange to have in the game because many of the game elements don't seem to work with it. I guess Lucasarts can say something like "An invisible force feild surrounds the platform and allows for air to be captured inside and ships to pass through." Saying something like that would at least explain it better. It makes one wonder why they went through all that trouble to add the crates filled with resources to make it more "real". Maybe its supposed to be like a docking bay?

Guest Tie Guy

Yeah, i always kinda wondered how the troops would survive in space, they can't really have an "air shield," they'd have to be under a glass..er...transparisteel dome or somthing. :D

Originally posted by Booya2020

I know its just a game but it takes away from it in that you cant build watercraft. I think. If you could it would look very stupid. Massive fleet battles would look cool though.

Massive fleet battles would have to be done on something a bit better than the AoK engine. The Star Treck Armada II engine would be a good choice.

Booya...

i don't think they gave that issue much thought. After all, you see Death Star docking bays being open to the outside space... all things should be sucked out that way !

there's probably some invisible shield like you claim.. a bit lame theory, but it's the game-possibilities that made space-levels; not the 'realism'

Guest Gamma732

In StarCraft one of the tilesets is a space platform, I was thinking the same thing about that. And now that I think of it they(Blizzard) never explained it......hopefully this'll at least have an explanation

Guest Tie Guy

I don't think that i will be playing a whole lot of the space missions, at least not in MP. I just hate the fact that you have to use transports every time you wanted to move your forces to attack. That is really annoying.

Guest Sherack Nhar

It adds another strategic element, Tie Guy. But I must say that I think it's more of a chore too than anything else. It's just me though - some people enjoy that.

About the invisible shield theory... it makes sense. For those who played Mysteries of the Sith, in one mission (Level 9) you had to launch Xwings into space from the landing dock. Well, when the hangar bay opens and the Xwings fly out, you can clearly see that they get through an invisible shield, because when you try to jump into space you're stopped by the shield. Was it clear? No? Of course not :D

Anyway, like Compa_Mighty said, it's just a game. ;)

Originally posted by Tie Guy

Yeah, i always kinda wondered how the troops would survive in space, they can't really have an "air shield," they'd have to be under a glass..er...transparisteel dome or somthing. :D

Sure they can, in Sw movies, people are in hangar bays while that are open to space, it's a force field or something.

well, it's an interesting thought, but this is just a game and if the air battles are similar to those in starcraft, it's a good deal to me. there won't be any dogfights similar to star trek armada b/c this engine wasn't made to do that. you'd have to look into homeworld to see for yourself.

btw, does anyone have the xpansion catalycism for homeworld?

Guest dvader07

Guys, I think all the worries about the space tilesets is for nothing, if you think about it, not being able to create naval units on certain maps is not a new concept. In AOK if you were on a land map then you couldn't make naval units. The concept of having to use transports to move your units is also not new. On an Island map, you had to pile all your knights and trebs, or whatever, into transport ships and transport them to the battle location. So, the space tilesets is just a combination of that. And as far as the units breathing in space, you have to realize that not only is this a game, but it is based on a science FICTION story. Thus not everything is going to make perfect sense. You just have to assume that they are more advanced than we are and they figured out a way to create an invisible shield that keeps they atmosphere out and let ships pass through. That is the way sci-fi works.

Guest Tie Guy

You mean keeps the atmosphere in, right?

Anyway, i know that it is just a game and a movie but it just looks wierd to me. That's okay though, coz i don't plan on using that map a whole lot, unless it is in SP.

Guest xwing guy

A magcon or magnetic containment field holds in everything inside hanger bays it mentions them a lot in X-Wing series. BTW is there gonna be a X-Wing series book 10?

Originally posted by xwing guy

A magcon or magnetic containment field holds in everything inside hanger bays it mentions them a lot in X-Wing series. BTW is there gonna be a X-Wing series book 10?

I don't think so, book 9 was written in '99, if they planned to continue, they probably would have by now.

first... Do we know that all units will be playable in space missions?

If they are not, way can't troops have space suits, and mech be air tight.

Secound... I was about thinking the same thing xwing guy said. In most of the books in a hanger bay, if the doors are open they always say that the magcon shield may keep in the air but it can't keep out the cold.

Thrid... Who cares, think of it as if the units were on a group of islands. It really is the same thing.

I now return you to tie's question...

Guest dvader07

In the movies, the mechs were never used in space in any capacity I can think of, not even on space stations. If you think about it a from a practical standpoint, the station would have to be huge to support an AT AT, so maybe they will not allow mechs. I can't remember if that space screenshot showed any, but it is an interesting idea

the air is held in by a magnetic feild. in IV "we are passing through the magnetic feild" on aproch to the death star.

they will allow all units ecept mabye navel units.

cosider this. the gungan fighters are birds so will the gungans be baned from space combat?:eek:

Guest Tie Guy

Hmm, maybe that ugly gungan whale is air-tight. :D Good point G.

Anyway, we have seen a space terrain, and you can have troops, fighters, and tanks on the platforms, although only fighters can cross space.

Archived