Home

Final Fantasy Studio Shuts Down

CaptainRAVE

The animation studio Square USA has announced that it is shutting down, after being unable to recoup its losses from the $145 million Final Fantasy movie, which flopped at the box office.

Final Fantasy is widely accepted to be the most realistic animated movie ever, and had a strong opening at the box office. It also has a good chance to be the first animated flick to win an Oscar. Nevertheless, it made only $104 million worldwide.

The company still hopes for a last-minute reprieve, but after negotiations with a major movie studio failed, it is unlikely.

Don't look at me, i saw it twice. :D

Anyways, it wasn't the biggest hit, and i know they lost alot of money, so it can only be expected that they go under. At least its not all of squaresoft thats going down, that would be a tragedy.

BTW, FFX has already sold over 4 million copies, but Square USA isn't the one who made that....

Originally posted by Tie Guy

Don't look at me, i saw it twice. :D

Anyways, it wasn't the biggest hit, and i know they lost alot of money, so it can only be expected that they go under. At least its not all of squaresoft thats going down, that would be a tragedy.

BTW, FFX has already sold over 4 million copies, but Square USA isn't the one who made that....

Actually, The Spirits Within was a joint project between Square Japan and Square Honolulu (where the movie was created). That formed Square Pictures, the studios that was dismantled as RAVE reported.

Losing Squaresoft wouldn't be a tragedy, in my opinion. The employees would just go form other game companies, and it would be the same again. The many Square franchises would be sold to the highest bidder, I guess.

As long as Hironobu Sakaguchi continues making kickass games, I don't care what's the brand name :D

Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

Actually, The Spirits Within was a joint project between Square Japan and Square Honolulu (where the movie was created). That formed Square Pictures, the studios that was dismantled as RAVE reported.

Losing Squaresoft wouldn't be a tragedy, in my opinion. The employees would just go form other game companies, and it would be the same again. The many Square franchises would be sold to the highest bidder, I guess.

As long as Hironobu Sakaguchi continues making kickass games, I don't care what's the brand name :D

True, they might reassemble as different companies, but you would never get all the great designers and writers and producers that made the previou Final Fantasy games great. I think if that happened you see a serious drop-off in the quality of the games and that would be a tragedy, IMO.

Archived