is SWGB better than AoK?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. is SWGB better than AoK?

• way better
    • not even close
    • can't decide
    • how dare you 'dis' Star Wars

:atat:

oh it sure was. i bought AoK the weekend it came out many, many moons ago. i admit that i've wasted far too much of my life playing it, but i'm reasonably good at it. of course, i'd get my tail kicked by any 12-year-old, but thats just the way it is.

Since i love RTS games, and this game is built on the AoK engine, i was really hoping this game could supplant AoK. i so very much wanted it to be a Star Wars version of AoK. however, for a variety of reasons, it just doesnt match up.

although the interface bears obvious resemblence to AoK, the character graphics and animation are sub-par. some units are difficult to make out, and much of the game's graphics are simply too cartoonish, as opposed to AoK's 'pretty-good' realism. on the ONE level you get to "play" (you dont really "play" campaigns either, since you are limited to what 'they' want you to do) all of the trees are palm trees. PALM TREES? come on. thats just weak. and some of the sounds are just terrible.

i dont mind the limited number of civilizations, in AoK i only use a couple anyway. i do like the fact that there are more unique units, making different civilizations better in different situations, for different styles of play.

The game reminds me more of StarCraft than AoK. dont get me wrong, StarCraft was fun, but it lacks the depth & complexity of AoK. this game is more of a cross between the two, but it certainly doesnt break any new ground in the RTS genre.

this game will probably sell millions of copies just because it says 'Star Wars' on it, not because its a legitimately good game. any team of imbeciles could take the AoK engine and make a "new" game. what did the lucasarts team do? most of the characters were done already, and half of the graphics they used they would have already had on file from other games. it just lacks the creativity and polishing of most of the RTS games out there, and it's just a stripped-down AoK with a bad facelift. Sure, there are different civs with different units and different technologies, i was just hoping for more, somehow.

my $.02

$$$$ That's what they were thinking. Lucasarts...blinded by the possibility of releasing another "blockbuster" game that will bring in the big dollar signs. Corners were cut and I'm sure the release date was pushed early to get it out by the time that the trailers for Attack of the Clones was released. Millions are spent on making the movies and then they spend a few grand to release this game that only stands on the shoulders of others that have accomplished greatness.

I downloaded the demo not knowing anything about the game and after about 5 minutes I was completely disappointed. The first thing that came to mind is that it is a crappy rip-off of AOK. Which is exactly what they were intending to do. Sure, the interface is simple and shouldn't be re-written...but when all they do is replace the graphics and sounds with Star Wars themes all they're doing is appealing to a 4th grader. I'm surprised they didn't take their time to ripoff Star Fleet Command II - it would have been much simpler and much more fun. - maybe a little more realistic too.

Graphics are miserable. It's missing half of the color fills that would have all to simple to input...not to mention the scale is ridiculous. Tauntauns should not be the same size as an AT-ST. Troopers walk like a bad version of John Travolta and the speeders can't make round turns...only square. R2's are bigger than troopers...again...WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?!?!?

Sounds...that's the first thing that really got me. They got a really bad voice synthesizer and attempted to make a great Darth Vader voice that will only have true fans laughing. Sounds are too predictable and repetitive. -- Not to mention annoying.

Sure -- there's many of you that will disagree with me...but if you do, you're only blinded by the loyalty to Lucasarts. Trust me - they're only making a mockery of what could be done.

Not gonna buy it...can't bring myself to that level.

fine...just don't go off the deep end -darthfergie

Well, I have to disagree in everything.

Originally posted by Bully

$$$$ That's what they were thinking. Lucasarts...blinded by the possibility of releasing another "blockbuster" game that will bring in the big dollar signs. Corners were cut and I'm sure the release date was pushed early to get it out by the time that the trailers for Attack of the Clones was released. Millions are spent on making the movies and then they spend a few grand to release this game that only stands on the shoulders of others that have accomplished greatness.

I downloaded the demo not knowing anything about the game and after about 5 minutes I was completely disappointed. The first thing that came to mind is that it is a crappy rip-off of AOK. Which is exactly what they were intending to do. Sure, the interface is simple and shouldn't be re-written...but when all they do is replace the graphics and sounds with Star Wars themes all they're doing is appealing to a 4th grader. I'm surprised they didn't take their time to ripoff Star Fleet Command II - it would have been much simpler and much more fun. - maybe a little more realistic too.

Make a better game, send it to me, and then we'll talk.

Graphics are miserable. It's missing half of the color fills that would have all to simple to input...not to mention the scale is ridiculous. Tauntauns should not be the same size as an AT-ST. Troopers walk like a bad version of John Travolta and the speeders can't make round turns...only square. R2's are bigger than troopers...again...WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?!?!?

It's RTS, not simulation. Don't tell me AoK is perfectly scaled.

Sounds...that's the first thing that really got me. They got a really bad voice synthesizer and attempted to make a great Darth Vader voice that will only have true fans laughing. Sounds are too predictable and repetitive. -- Not to mention annoying.

Sounds are very good, and a very good imitation of the true characters .

Sure -- there's many of you that will disagree with me...but if you do, you're only blinded by the loyalty to Lucasarts. Trust me - they're only making a mockery of what could be done.

Not gonna buy it...can't bring myself to that level.

If you don't like it, just don't insult us. BTW, if you hate the game that much, why are you posting in this forum?

Guest Master Yoda

Ive played AOE AOEROR AOK AOKTC tons, but in my opinion GBG is way better. The demo didnt give a whole ton to go by but ive played it to death against my bros. I think its graphics are as good as AOK, the sound is great,I have heard the music other than in the opening screen and it sounds great. The only negative thing I can think of in this game is that they didnt make the Jedi strong enough when fighting Bounty Hunters, other than that it is a AWESOME game easily better than AOKTC.I DO NOT believe that LEC is just making it for the money and that they dont care how good it is, I think they honestly put a lot of time and effort into making this game as good as possible.

I think we've all got to remember that the demo is not the same as the full game. Granted the graphics, sound and scaling were pretty poor, I have been faithfully told that these are gonna be very different in the full game. I have been an AoE2 addict for too long, but I am still craving for the release of this game. The air units, jedi, and shielding should make this something more than just AoE with a facelift...

nuff said!

Guest Master Yoda
Originally posted by duder

I think we've all got to remember that the demo is not the same as the full game. Granted the graphics, sound and scaling were pretty poor, I have been faithfully told that these are gonna be very different in the full game. I have been an AoE2 addict for too long, but I am still craving for the release of this game. The air units, jedi, and shielding should make this something more than just AoE with a facelift...

nuff said!

The graphics scaling and sound looked/sounded good to me especially the scaling.

ok - now i've played the "real" version, and i must make it clear that the real game IS vastly improved from the demo in terms of graphics, sound, and especially animation. (there are still a couple of characters that arent fixed, they appear to hobble awkwardly across the screen).

however, most of what i said in my initial post still holds true.

i can add the following rips...

* why can the (wookies & others) make jedi? and why are they human jedi? how hard would it have been to make a wookie jedi unit, instead of having him human? eh?

* sheild generator are cute but kind of lame. bring in a couple "trebuchets" and make quick work of them.

* i'm not sure why, but the mini-map seems 'busier' than AoK. its harder to pick some things out. (and i hate that 'team colors' BS, just my pref)

* you should be able to make hero units in the game. even if you can only make one "darth vader" unit, that would be excellent.

BUT, i will say this as positive notes about the game...

* the air units add a dimension to the game that AoK did not have (and could not, being set in the time periods that is was). now, not only do you have to defend against ground attacks, you also have to defend against air attacks. AA turrets & units are cool.

* the animal nursery idea is cool too. hold on to your nerfs/banthas for long-term food, or kill & eat them now. although, you should be able to domesticate more animals, methinks.

* the water beast (i forget what its called) is also a good idea too, albeit aggrevating the first time one kills your fishing ships and you dont have any fighters.

* there's something cool about walking into town with a bunch of stormtroopers and AT-ATs, which are HUGE on the screen compared to everything else.

:lsduel:

after playing some MP gamez, (2 humans, 3 computer, 125 limit large map, cable, 1.3GHz, 800MHz), the game is noticably slower than AoK. the commands seem delayed even when the game first starts.

needless to say, that really chapps my behind. theres nothing i like more than to see my guys NOT do something after i've right-clicked to attack something and my guys dont do it.

WORK ON IT FOR PATCH 1!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Flere Imsaho

My first impression of the game was cheap AOK clone with different graphics. After playing it for a few games though, it really does shine on it's own merits.

Pros.

1) Even with 6 civs, each does have a unique feel and different strengths and weaknesses. Unlike AOK, you definitely need a different strategy for each civ.

2) Each set has different graphics, adding to the feel of playing a different race.

3) Air units. An entirely new dimension to the AOK engine.

4) Addition of the animal nursery. It's like relics, only stashing food. Definitely an addition I'd like seen in all future AOE games.

5) Unique technologies and units help further distinguish races, and unlike AOK, all of them are useful and civ defining.

6) Unlimited way point setting. It seems like I can set 200 waypoints for my scout and have him scan the whole map without me watching. :D

7) Music is fantastic. Sounds just like the movies.

8) Hey, it's Star Wars!

Cons

1) Graphics are good, but not great. A definite step down from AOK

2) Sound effects are cheesy. The voices are redone and not taken from the original movies.

3) A lot of the units and technologies are the same as AOK. With the exception of air, it won't take you long to figure out what was what from AOK.

4) Air units hover and attack. I really, really, really wish air units would dogfight, and bombers would make strafing runs. Definitely a minus for the game. Realistic fighter movement would be an amazing plus for the game.

5) Take away the girders for the carbon mining. It really does look like crap. Add a fallen tree animation or a chipped rock.

Overall, it's a good Star Wars game with the amazing AOK engine. If you still play AOK and have the extra $50, it's definitely worth picking up. I think you'll be surprised at how much of a new feel the Star Wars theme gives it.

Now, hopefully the same team is hard at work on a completely new star wars RTS for us to enjoy :D

Archived