Home

Sound Effects...

The_One

Did anyone else notice in the PCG UK trailer how all the original sound effects from JK are in there? All the saber sounds, sound identical - I was hoping for a bit more bass in the sound personally. The grip sound is the same, so is the Bowcaster and the squaling Rodians. I would have liked some new sounds to be honest - but I suppose it will make it feel mor JKey :)

There's more examples I can't quite remember now, but play the trailer and listen to it, rather than watch it and you'll see what I mean...

Although alot of the sounds were the same they are a lot better quality. I was a bit put off with the sound in the beginning.....but after a lot of thought I realised that the sound wasnt the problem in JK, it was the graphics. And there are new sounds anyway. Id rather have a few of the old sounds than wait for another year for JK2.

They would probably get more sounds/increase the quality of the sound for the final version. The trailer we see from PC Gamer UK was taken from a beta build, so it only makes sense that sounds are taken from JK as that the main thing they want us to concentrate on is the graphics and effects.

First of all, welcome to the community! :D What comes to sound, they might have been placeholder files taken directly from JK, because sound effects and voices for different species are not going to be THAT different; perhaps higher quality(48000Hz, stereo :eek: ). Here is a little snippet of info from Jedi Knotes #5:

One of the first things you will notice is the high fidelity of the voice, music and sound in the game. Higher data rates and MP3 technology allowed us to approach a film-quality soundtrack for this title. Drawing from the wealth of Skywalker Sound's Star Wars sound effects collection as well as designing custom effects, the vehicles, weapons and locations will come to life as never before.

1. The sound quality due to compression in the trailer is also really poor.

2. JK has GREAT sound! It's one of the few five year old games that works with surround sound, and the effect noises are great. They are just about the best lightsaber noises there are. If you listen to the saber noises from the movies, you'll notice they don't have a lot of bass. One exception is Darth Maul's lightstaff, and that's due to the two blades.

JK has great sound effects, i agree. But sometimes it's a bit dull. For example, the thermal detonator should sounded LOUD while JK has it sound like mosquito sqeak

I want some other new sounds OTHER than the old JK sound! (Especially Lightsabers and Force Powers)

Judging by the explosion of the new thermal detonators, it is Star Wars Universe accurate where it creates a heat bubble that vaporizes organic material on contact, and everything outside that bubble (usually five meters) is fine. Although they don't have the vaporization, the explosion looks better, and the radius of the blast looks great, so the explosion sound should be higher.

those werent thermal dets.. those were detpacks if i not mistaken......

but ya, thermals should do much more damage, in the beginning of return of the jedi, leia comes in all disguised as a bounty hunter, jabba offers money, leia wants more, then threatens every1 with a thermal detonator.....

if that was one of the thermal dets from jk, jabba would have done his trademark "Oh ho ho" laugh, and everyone in the room would have vaporized leia on the spot for using such a puny little weapon

now, concerning the actual post,

the sounds from the trailer DO sound exactly like the jk sounds, i guess all we can hope for is a change by the time the game is shipped :S

Don't worry people. Everything we (us gamers/SW fanatics) don't like, we can just change with pak files,.... err MODs (for the non Q3 people). Everything is configurable and can be changed.

I was worried at first, but after thinking about it, I figured I might as well not get worked up over it and just wait for the game to come out. And have someone else fix it afterwords ;).

Like Max Payne, lol.

Archived