Home

A tribute to the game that started it all...

nequadah

Well I'm as excited as you guys are for Jedi Knight II, but I'ed also like everyone to recall memories and what they liked best in Dark Forces, the game that started it all..

It was the first FPS game i actually bought..the other games I had played like doom and all were shareware..

I liked the cartoon cutscenes, and the dark trooper did scare me quite a bit..

I remember i cheated through the whole game, but I had fun heh, especially that last weapon I forgot what it was, weapon number 0, the one the dark troopers use..that was awesome heh.

What about you guys?

Originally posted by GonkH8er

I only played it once, for about 3 minutes.

Listen to me, not finishing it is a mistake. Sure, after JK and other FPSs it is abit difficult to find the motivation to play, but if you go past the initial approach you'll start to appreciate the levels. Even if it lacks of the sabre and a real 3D engine I have to admit that it is more immersive than JK and its levels are better.

Guest Krayt Tion

One of the best games every made, period.

You need to appreciate this game to appreciate the legacy of Kyle Katarn and even the game this site is dedicated to, Dark Forces 3.

You need to appreciate this game to appreciate the legacy of Kyle Katarn and even the game this site is dedicated to, Dark Forces 3.

Yeah. After JK it's also interesting to look back and find out that LEC gave us an early hint what future will bring with it when Vader said that the Force is with Kyle Katarn. :vadar: So, while DF might not seem relevant these days, JK2 pays homage to it with guns, level design, interactive(dynamic) music system, etc. much more than JK did orginally and brings these two predecessors closer to each other; now only, if LEC had keepen up Dark Forces title, it would instantly tell everyone where it all began and not favor JK in this case. If we look purely storyline of DF, it may seem made out of bunch of unrelated missions(except when it picks up Dark Trooper menace later during the game), but you can also play it through as a simple prologue to JK(much like MotS is to JK2 these days) and it introduces main characters to us almost in same manner as ANH and TPM did: both of them might have lacked some depth in storyline, but they fixed that with action to keep our enthusiasm going and even promised us something interesting in the next episode. So, it's part of the trilogy now, take it or leave it.

yaah i also played and completed both DF and DF2:JK. I loved all the 3d fps s, Wolfenstein, Blake Stone.. and when I saw Doom 1 I was actually jumping around yelling: "Look mum, I can shoot through this window and hit the guy on the other side of this map and even the room lights up when I fire lots of bullets!"

Well, being of the female persuasion and all, I wasn't much for first persons. I played games like Kings Quest and the like (laughs@self). My brother had told me about it and how cool it was so, I thought, "What the heck! I'll give it a try.." and I've been hooked since. I just loved that game; my first introduction to that genre of gamestyle. Even to this day, I can hear Kyle's smarmy voice saying to Mon Mothma: "A stormtrooper that can take out a rebel base that quickly? I shoulda kept working for the Empire..." :trooper: Ahhh... that stirs the cockles of my heart...

:angel:

I played the game in its prime, i liked it so i got the one for PS a long time ago and it was one of my favorites at the time. I enjoyed the storyline, and the cinematics at that time. I remember playing the dark troopers, one was bigger like a ape type the others just dark storm troopers. Man sometimes you can empty a whole clip of blaster fire, if they didn't reflect it.

The levels were good, though, especially the first.

Dont ask but I hated the kell dragons

Took me while to get the key to the weapons, and get the kell dragon in a position where i had him trapped.

Man and then Vadar saying the force was strong with Katarn, and then defeating the guy who wore the trooper armor.

It was one of my favorites, but time saw to it that it didn't stay one of my favorites

JK Was a new beginning for me

Actually i download the mOTs demo and wanted that, but i bought a JK2 which came with mots.

Playing with force powers in the role of a jedi thrilled me.

however after the first scene of horrendous acting, i was getting dissapointed. Then the enemies, gorc and pic were just garbage to me, brothers of the sith, they used the term too loosely.

The improvements in weapons was great though.

My all time favorite battle was with maw, the cloud city music my powers more developed and plus since it was the first time i played i hadn't killed anyone to go to the darkside, so I had throw as a power and worked great against maw.

The game was good but i still frowned upon it.

MOTS

I still play mots even as i speak, the improvments are better, and liked the fact that their was no acting in it. The force powers, levels, and overall theme was much improved on.

Mara jade I enjoyed her missions a lot, all the last couple of levels suffered from originality i liked it better than JK and showed what happen to kyle.

Plus more scenarios as you progres through the mission

Saber fighting was stiff, but hey the engine was very limited at that time. I wanted somthing like the movies, but it was ok

Now JO will break the limits of what we saw.

Archived