Home

Demo this Friday?

mariners2001

I don't see how a demo can delay the game?

1. For every level they include they have to make sure that all the textures are in there, without putting in all the textures

2. The same goes for the models and their skins.

3. They have to create the installer and test it on every system configuration. It is not because the installer of the full game works on every system that the one for the demo does.

4. Once the demo is wrapped up, it goes to la for approval, if it isn't approved, they can start over.

5. Do you honestly think that there are people at Raven just sitting there with nothing to do?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by UniKorn

1. For every level they include they have to make sure that all the textures are in there, without putting in all the textures

3. They have to create the installer and test it on every system configuration. It is not because the installer of the full game works on every system that the one for the demo does.

4. Once the demo is wrapped up, it goes to la for approval, if it isn't approved, they can start over.

5. Do you honestly think that there are people at Raven just sitting there with nothing to do?

Well guys I'm not a developer so I can vouch for how many additional hours or the length it takes to do a demo but I'm just going by what the developers at Raven have said and I think they would know better than anyone since they are the ones making the game. They did say that they did not think there would be a demo before the release of the game because it would take more time to put a demo out and they did not want to delay the game because of that.

uh, why wouldnt they just use the SAME installer in the demo they used in the game. I know the previously released LEC demos have usually seemed to have the same installers. I mean I honestly dont think that this is a huge part of the development process.

And for the textures, thats not a new thing either. Either play through a level a bunch of times or recheck it a few times, either way shouldnt take more than a day to do a thorough job. Plus, the majority of the time they use levels from the actual game.

Same for skins only not nearly as time consuming. An experienced skinner can throw together a skin very quickly, and they will use skins from the full game since it is a "DEMO" of the full game.

Originally posted by Chanke4252

uh, why wouldnt they just use the SAME installer in the demo they used in the game. I know the previously released LEC demos have usually seemed to have the same installers. I mean I honestly dont think that this is a huge part of the development process.

And for the textures, thats not a new thing either. Either play through a level a bunch of times or recheck it a few times, either way shouldnt take more than a day to do a thorough job. Plus, the majority of the time they use levels from the actual game.

Same for skins only not nearly as time consuming. An experienced skinner can throw together a skin very quickly, and they will use skins from the full game since it is a "DEMO" of the full game.

I really don't know why they could not do that and they may be planning on releasing a demo anyway but from what they have said it is apparently more involved than one would think.

There won't be a demo this friday. No, I dn't have a reason for saying this other than today's thursday and we would have heard about such a high profile demo. Besides, the game hasn't even gone gold yet!!! I want a demo as much as ya'll, but I don't plan to see one until third quarter march. Then again, i THINK i have been wrong before.:)

Originally posted by UniKorn

1, 2 & 3: There are tools (or they can make them, he) that will automate the process

4: True, but I believe that if LEC is confident that Raven will make a good game, they can trust them to make a nice demo, too :)

5: No, but as someone said before, the big time trouble should be well behind... if Raven works like an organized team (I assume a yes there) at this time should be only minor glitches (or already finished!!! Let's hope :D)

actually i think that a demo may be released very soon, maybe not this friday but with msn gaming zone being updated for jk2 there preparing for something, and if they werent releasing the demo soon they probably wouldnt have released the jk2 zone section....

<font color=cbcbff> A MSN Gaming zone page can mean only one thing.....invasion.....

Wait..that's not right... eh..

I'm quite confident the game is done, if not at 98% or 99%. I'm sure beta testing is going on now and releasing a demo now would not delay this game. 2 months ago, yea it would have delayed the game. You have to remember once u have finished the game at least a month of prep has to be done befor the offical lanch. opackging, marketing, produceing the thousands upon thousands of CD's etc etc, not to mention shipping it to EVERY game store in the USA, UK and europe and of course the rest of the world.

The games done, that i am sure of, and the updating of The Zone shows that they rae getting ready for something, wether it be a demo i don't know, or of course the Zone could have just made a giant muck up.

Personelly i can feel a demo on the horizen, this game is one of the most highly ancisipated games of 2002, they cannot afford to not release a demo.

Just my 2 pence.

Krak3n

Well, when I type the under:

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/html/demo.html

There is a white page only......

Usually when you links to page that Lucasarts doesn't have(yet), there will be a "404error" or so kind of page that tell you, there is no such page and will put you back to Lucasarts.com.

So when I open the "demo" page and it shows white, doesn't it means that.....There will be demo?

Although we can't know if the Demo will be out before the full game release, at last we can put some hope......

I think LEC will release a Demo before the game as they are yet to try and bring in people that are not 'huge' fans of the STARWARS franchise.

LucasArts Bieng the big money grabbing monster they are, will try and get as many people to buy the game as possible. So I don't see how they cannot afford to NOT release a demo soon.:D

Also the MSZone JO area obviously means 'something' is going on.

But WHAT?????:confused:

well if there was a demo before the official release date it would push the game back like a week or two and the zone page for JK2 is only up cause they are getting ready for the game and they usually put pages up within a month or two in advance and probable like a week or two before its released youll start seeing game rooms

Demo...DEMO!!! MUST HAVE DEMO

*regains slef control*

hey wait......this demo will by big...very big over 100mg easily:confused:...

for us poor sods with 56kbps modems it will b right bugger 2 download......

DAMN!!! :mad:

Steg

this is kind of funny. Its like people talking about an impending attack by some unbeatable foe.

"Its coming, I can feel it, and none of us will be able to stop it!!! Raven knows it, LEC knows it, even The Zone knows it. There is no hope, the demo is coming!!"

Well....

It can mean two things;

1. There getting prepared for something, with this much activity about the game (for example, The Zone, With an entire weapons and Force power chart, that or this; http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/html/demo.html thing)

2. There are some very sick people at the LEC/Raven headquarters that want to make us more nervous.

Personally i do think that they will release a demo, and with all these topics going on about it, i anticipate it will be released today (wich is Friday the 1st of March) because everything happens for a reason, there's no such thing as luck or coincidents (that spelled right? im dutch you know).

Something else BTW.

look at this

System Requirements

>>>>>The Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast CD-ROM installed on your hard drive<<<<<<

Nothing on the zone speaks of a demo, my hopes just went down to zero

Originally posted by buzzfunk666

Raven have stated that they first goal is to finish up the full game. They also said that a demo before shipping Jk2 is all up to LA. So with this info in mind, theres no reason to belive that there will be a demo this week.

heY gEeBuS

its me staty =P

Archived