Home

Raylight creates a 3D engine for the Game Boy Advance!

Boba Rhett

Italian developer Raylight Studios has unveiled its new 3D engine for the Game Boy Advance. Currently called Blue Roses, the engine is capable of displaying 3,000 polygons per second on the handheld. The Blue Roses engine also includes a number of standard 3D-engine features such as skeletal animation, texture mapping, camera animation, skinned characters, and scalability for indoor and outdoor areas, as well as a wealth of other features. It also has support for various special effects such as lighting, fogging, and transparencies. Raylight has released screenshots from various projects that are using the engine, including a futuristic racing game similar to Wipeout, a flight simulation, a rally driving game, and a game that looks remarkably like the original Resident Evil.

The screenshots from the rally driving game appear to be from Raylight's GB Rally 2, which features eight cars and 42 different tracks spread out over 14 locations. The tracks in the game will not be completely flat, but will actually have inclines and declines. In addition, the cars in the game will be able to display varying degrees of damage. GB Rally 2 includes a single race mode, a championship mode, a practice mode, a time attack mode, and a multiplayer mode that supports up to four players. An official release date has not been announced.

SWEET! Check out the screenshots here:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/screenindex/0,10866,2854517,00.html

And be sure to watch some of the tech demo videos! Truly amazing! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Aren't the old Game Boys not even under $30? I don't know. That 3D thing looks cool. I also saw something of some guy in Europe who turned his GBA into a web server for the sheer hell of it. The GBA has much potential. I just need a flash card.

Archived