Home

freezing.

zombi3

Well I think I'm going to give up !

I'tried all the fix from this forum except APG 1x and nothing work.

I'll have to dl an utility to enable AGP 1x on my radeon 8500.

Still MP perfectly stable and SP crash.

I'm sure there a nasty and insidious bug in the SP code.

:mad:

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think your problems have anything to do with the sound card, per se, but rather it has to do with the implementation and conflict between the AGP/PCI interface in general.

I stopped experiencing crashes as soon as I installed the AGP 1.90 drivers for my ALiMagik1 based motherboard (Asus A7A266) and lowered my AGP bus to 2x. I might even bring it back up to 4x later to see if it runs stably but I've been having heat issues with my graphics card unrelated to the AGP problems so I'll probably refrain from doing that until I get better cooling for my system.

On the other hand, I think that most of the problems we're (well, I'm not anymore but I mean everyone else) has to do with AGP/PCI problems on your boards. You'll notice that most people here are running a non-AMD or Intel based chipset on their motherboard, hence the problems.

You might wanna try out George's Latency Patch if you're using a VIA board, and be sure to download the 1.90 AGP drivers for your ALi board, if any of you are using one. They're miraculous.

I've been getting lockups now right after scores are displayed at the end of a match when a new map should be loading. It locks up at the score screen, and like the first guy, I'm forced to use the power button...

Crashes have been frustrating me alot lately ever since I got my new video card, GeForce4 MX-420 PCI. In WarCraft III It would crash halfway thru a game, and the speakers emitted a continous SCRREEEECHHH until I turned the power off with the button.

I wiped my Harddrive and put windows98 on instead of ME. Still, I get lockups...

I hope I can figure out whats wrong with my computer, since it locks up on the desktop too... Or maybe the games will be patched with fixes.

>_<

I think that latency patch solved my problem. I went through the parts of the game that had been freezing on me really bad and nothing happened :D. Hallelujah!! I can finally enjoy the game I spent the money I didn't have to spend on! Now if only I could get rid of my firewall so I can play online (stupid college)

This seemed to work for me after trying most of the fixes mentioned in this thread.

Drivers:

Nvidia 21.83

Via 4in1 4.38

System:

Athlon 1200Mhz

512MB PC133

Epox 8KTA3

Visiontek GeForce3

SB Audigy

4X AGP

No FSAA

Game Settings:

GL Extensions= On

Video Mode= 1024x768

Color Depth= 32-bit

Geometric Detail= High

Texture Detail= Very High

Texture Quality= 32-bit

Texture Filter= Trilinear

Detail Shaders= On

Shadows= Volumetric

Vsync= Off

Dynamic Lights= On

Wall Marks= On

Anisontropic Filtering= On

What fixed my problem was to use GeForce Tweaker. In it there is a section called "Compatability Modes" Listed are Intel, Micron, AMD, Nvidia, VIA, and Rcc. I basically left all other settings in GeForce Tweaker alone, but set VIA Compatability Mode to ON.

Before this, I was locking up about 5 minutes into the game, but now I've played for 2 hours with no lockups.

http://www.guru3d.com/files/

Yeah...I'm running on a Tyan Motherboard (VIA chipset) with a SB Live! 5.1 X-Gamer. I've been playing off and on all day and I haven't had a single problem. I wish everyone else the best of luck solving their problems.

:jarjar::lightning

Now Jar Jar, you will feel the full power of the Dark Side!!

Well guys, i was one of the guys that suggested a 2x agp transfer setting, but you know what?

I found out another thing, I put my agp transfer to 4x, then lock ups all over again... and then i did something that changed everything... I closed all of the programs running on the background and system tray on windows me. AND I disconnected my cable modem from the NIC card. No freezes at all, with full speed on my system...

So I really dont know whats happening now, I hope this helps all the people that still has problems, even on a 2x setting.

Try it and tell me if it works!

I have a stange feeling that my pb is sound related.

SP crash and MP work perfectly.

And on the logo screen the sound is stuttering in SP while perfectly clean in MP.

The sound is clear for the rest of the game is SP.

Any idea, is it normal (the sound not the crash :) )

I also used the GeForce Tweak Utility to change the settings on the video card. There are a number of settings to manipulate and all I did was enable everything which did it for me. If that did not work, then I would have disabled everything and started there. Maybe those that are still having problems could try this out.

Huh...come to think of it...it seems like we're solving the problems for RAVEN...anyone else think we should get paid for this "tech support"?

Well, I havn't read the entire thread, too much :-P So if my problem has been answered please post the info.

I start up JO, select new game, select difficulty, press new game. Wait a little for the bar to go accross the screen, before it gets accross I get a nice big black screen with little green lines accross the top. After 7 resets, I decide to reinstall JO, after being reinstalled, and setting up the graphics again, begin another new one, hi little green lines! After 12 more resets, I decide to come here and see if there are any posts on freezing. I've finished the game on SP before, then went to MP, now I decide to try some more SP on a harder difficulty, only it doesn't want me to play. I can play MP without any problems, just not SP.

800mhz duron

iWill MB (dont know specs on it)

onboard sound

512 ram

win98-se

gf2 gts with 23.11 drivers

Anything else needed? I suppose I should try the newest drivers, I just heard that the 23.11 were the best for JO.

its not just this game it is every heavily modified quake 3 engine based game i have encountered the problems in this game, SOF 2, RTCW, occasionally in team arena even just not as frequently as this game or the others. i also get a shrill high pitched sustained beep when my comp locks up or a little before it does.

My specs are as follows:

AMD athlon 1.2 ghz tbird

Geforce 3 ti 200

Soundblaster live 5.1 x-gamer

786 mb of ram

Win Xp

I believe that it is a confliction between windows 2000/XP and anything soundblaster, because none of the SB products have complete drivers and there are conflictions between just the two when alone in the OS not just in games. This is because creative labs has lame coders, who rushed out drivers just to allow "compatibility" and didnt consider half of the things they should have so until then go buy a different sound card. Windows 2000/XP and Soundlaster products dont get along to well.

I'm not sure if anyone posted this or not (I haven't read through al 8 pages of this thread) but I just wanted to say that one thing that I found that fixed the freezing problem for me was to disable vsync.

I run an Athlon Xp 1600+, 256MB PC2100 RAM, Creative Blaster Annihilator II (GeForce2 w/64MB RAM).

Just in case this helps anyone else out.

Mahogeny

Well, I just got done playing JKII for two hours... straight! And I quit, it didn't crash. All I did was use simple instead of volumetric shadowing and install the 4.38 VIA 4-in-1 drivers.

However, it could possibly still be a heat problem. When I last played and was crashing every minute, it was 85 degrees outside and we had the A/C off. Now it's in the mid 50s and we have the heat off. It's significanly colder in my computer room, so that might be why it ran fine. I don't know for sure. I guess I'll find out when it warms up again.

Dont ask. I cant spell.

Will some one please summerize what could help making my game not crash. After reading the first two pages in 20 minutes i dont feel like reading the next six so please help. And yes my game does crash with the sound looping. I am not good as this "computer" stuff so be as easy as possiable. Once again i cant spell.

PIII 500

320 megs of ram (after crashing a few times it no registers at 256, removed the faulty ram)

GeForce2400mx

10 gig maxtor hard drive(on this)

24 gig hard drive

legacy sound drive(very crappy, was using sound blaster but i broke it trying to fix jk2)

abit mother board

40x cd drive

Thanks

I blame them all. Raven, lucas arts and however else screwed us.

I am not sure who did what but i am pissed off. There are many of us, many of us and more who got screwed out of 50 dollars. After looking through this post I found not one support member said anything. If there isnt a patch by the end of this week i am going to blow up them.

lucas arts does share blame. they liscend this product and put there name on it. There should of been some sort of response to all of us by now. Some one saying there is a problem would be a start.

As for the makers of the game, well the better not give me there adresses.

I emailed everyone and for over 2 weeks not one response. DAMN IT PEOPLE RESPOND.

Ok my ranting is over.

Just a little update, I've found that it just about only (I've had one or two elsewhere) crashes for me on the Caren (or however you spell it), Doomgiver and the Yavin swamp. I can stop the crashes on those levels by disabling the gl extensions, which unforunatly halves the framerate :(

Might be a bit late since u guys are already quite ahead with your investigations reg. the freeze problem..but anyway...here's my story in a short:

I played JK , 1024/32, all settings max, AGP4x on my GF2Ti so far without any problems.

Today i bought a Radeon8500 and the game turned into "unplayable" at all - means: Now I'm also getting random freezes/soundloop after a few seconds.

i will jump into more checking and testing later this eve and leave you another note.

btw: great page, great forum!

Archived