Home

freezing.

zombi3

You don't seem to have much of a point in the first place. As I already stated, many people seem to be having issues only with JK2, unless you missed that part of my post.

Your immature ranting is starting to get on my nerves... I'm not going to bother rebutting the rest of your post.

Instead, I'll leave a little something for you to think about...

fag.jpg

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exitium, I checked Dxdiag per your suggestion but AGP texturing acceleration is enabled. The 28.xx detonator drivers might be doing something sneaky, but hey, it works and I'm not complaining! ;) I figured since JKII runs off a modified Quake3 engine there must be some OpenGL elements involved. If not, it's a weird fix for a stranger problem. In case anybody's interested, here's my system config.

Abit KR7A-133

AMD XP 1800

512MB Kingston

Gainward Geforce 3 Ti200

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

40GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM

I am freezing allot in game randomly, and i wish it was brr freezing not.. system hard shutdown freezing..

My Cpu :

AMD Athlon XP (+1600)

WinXP

Soundblaster Audigy

Geforce 2MX 400

512DDR Ram

=/ game freezes randomly.. sometimes it will give me an error and pops up with an error report to send to microsoft.. sometimes it just freezes.. sometimes it just loops.. =(

i know we are all having the same problam, but im hoping there is some genious out there that has been able to fix this OTHER than buying new ****.. i shouldnt have to buy a new video card to play a game i bought :mad: ... Raven better come out with a new patch soon or i wont buy any of games devolped by them again.

i have also tried uninstalling my 28.33 detenator drivers and going to back to 23.11 =/ no luck..

I have been having the same problem with the game freezing now for about two weeks. The funny thing is , that the first time I saw this problem was last month in MOHAA. Ever since then, these games have been locking up at random times. Just recently, I assembled myself a brand new system..bnone of the components the same as my old system..and a fresh new install of windows XP. Guess what...I had the lock up problems again. The thing that puzzles me is that once it happened in one game, now it is happening in similar ones ...RTC and MOHAA, as well as Jedi Knight 2.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem, because I'm sure my hardware is good. Hopefully sometime soon, somebody or some Jedi Master will figure out a solution.

Keep the faith people, maybe one day we'll be able to play this game without the constant fear of " Mr Freeze".

Add me to the list...

I first experienced the lock-up playing Multiplayer duel. I will generally crash within an hour when playing online. After reading this thread, I went back and launched a single player game of MOHAA. I'll be damned if it didn't crash within 15 minutes. It never used to before I installed JK2.

Specs:

Epox 8k7a

Thunderbird 1.2GHz

256 Crucial DDR 2100

Asus GF2 GTS

SB Live 5.1

Win XP Home (Fully patched)

Det 28.32

Newest Creative XP drivers

"That's no moon, that's my butt" :deathii:

I have been having this problem since day one of install... But I was previously having the same problem (well similar) in Unreal Tournement.

After reading the various posts here I updated my BIOS and installed the latest Via 4 in 1 drivers, since then... No Lockups!!

I am now very happy and enjoying this superb game.

Hope others find this cures their problems too...

By the way my motherboard is an Epox 8k7a....

My problem (loops/freezing) is solved as well.

System specs:

Athlon 1G

256 Mb PC-133

ATV133-c

Gainward 2 MX200 32mb

SB 64 PCI

Win98 SE

AGP aperture 32Mb

One week ago I had functioning system but I changed my Detonators from 28.32 back to 23.11 as I had performance problems. Stupid me.

Then everything was f*cked-up. Even DX-diagnostics didn't work out well.

- reinstalled win98 SE into the same directory

- Changed my bus speed from 133 MHz to 130 MHz to avoid any RAM-problems

- reinstalled DX 8.0a from JO-CD and checked that DX-diag worked out well

- installed 4in1 driver ver 4.34 (shouldn't be using higher ver with win98)

- uninstalled 23.11

- installed 28.32

- unistalled JO and manually deleted all registry-settings that had "jedi"-label in them

- reinstalled JO

Now it Works perfect with 800-600 16-bit.

With 1024x768 I have performance-problems alias FPS drops quite low. 32-bit-mode have occasional sound-loops but don't crash. 16-mode with 800-600 doesn't have anything wrong.

And. It is truly a beatiful game with great story in it.

Good luck.

Okay, here's my status...

After installing the latest SB Live 5.1 drivers the freezing was down to every 30 to 45 minutes. This atleast made the game playable...

After seeing so many SB cards in the woe list and noting this improvement I pulled the SB card and re-anable the onboard sound. Same issue...

I re-installed my system with 2K Pro (Server before) and got all my drivers up to date. The first app I installed was JO and... Same issue...

I did notice, however, that I did not have the AGP Texture option in DX Diag so I checked my BIOS and the vid was set to PCI not AGP (ECS P4S5A mainboard). When I set it to AGP the system failed to post with a long string of beeps indicating no video...

Reset the CMOS (defaulting back to PCI) and it boots...

Updating my BIOS resolved the AGP issue and I now have all three options in DX Diag....

After so many crashes even on this new build I re-formatted this morning and installed 2K Pro again...

I will re-install JO tonight and let you know if the AGP bit was the problem; I suspect that it is...

nuff said...

I get freezing too.

Most of the time it's when it's the end of the map in MP and it loads a new one. Just freezes.

When I try and look at the scores in MP (especially when dead) the game pauses for a second or two. Really annoying.

SP has been good however (touch wood!), but I get illegal operations sometimes instead. But rarely.

I was playing a game of RTCW last night and had the freeze loop thing after about an hour but instead of cold freezing my computer it simply gave me some .dll error with the game file and dropped me back to the desktop.

I wish that sort of thing would happen in JK2, but instead it cold boots the computer. Nasty stuff.

I hope we get a fix for this soon.

I've noticed a lot of people state that the game freezes in a specific amount of time i.e. "every 10 minutes". One important and basic troubleshooting fact is that computers freezing up in a specific time pattern could very well be due to overheating. Whether it be your video card or CPU, make sure all fans are running (or heat sinks attached) and the your computer case is securely covered with no bare ports open on the rear (promotes proper air circulation). The computer should also have at least 6 inches of space in back for the fan to push out warm air. Just my two cents :amidala:

"Hi,

Thank you for your message.

I'm not really sure what else to try here. This should be working for you, you have everything set correctly and your system looks fine. You may want to return the software to your retailer at this time. I'm sorry I couldn't get this going for you.

LEC JAY"

----- a message from the Lucasarts technical help adviser

I dont blame him for this, he is just doing his job. But Lucasarts and Raven have a lot to answer for.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

It seems that I solved my problem...but dont know excactly why...

Instead of the 28.32 detonator I installed the 23.11....furthermore I installed riva tuner and nvmax.....I changed to agp 2x...after that I installed the amd agp port mini driver and the athlon agp patch...after all this my jk2 runs fine....5 hours without any freeeing...

I was poking around the forums over at viaarena and saw a thread about freezing. Someone, who appears to be quite experienced, recommended:

- Setting your AGP speed to 2X in your bios

- Installing your VIA AGP driver in "Normal" mode not "Turbo"

One person said that all his freezing troubles went away when he set his bios to AGP 1X - I know, I know 1X, ouch.

I'd say since this is very easy to undo it's worth a shot. His "theory" is that VIA boards are still not cutting it with AGP 4X.

Someone also recommended the very latest VIA AGP driver found in the 4.38 VIA drivers.

Non-VIA users can ignore all the above.

I have a VIA chipset but I can't find the setting you are referring to in my bios, the only AGP setting I have uses megs not 2x or 4x. Also someone in another post said that the freez w/sound loop is a known problem with the quake 3 engine and that there is a file that can fix it but he doesn't remember the name or where to get it, does anybody else know about this?

These solutions are too complicated. I'm sure Raven can just fix this in a patch, if they ever come back to the forums! :mad:. That's Raven, make a game and then leave it.

Game freezes all the time for me and I hate it especially when it does during a duel online, or any duel for that matter.

Here's something a little interesting:

I used to be able to play the game fine, without crashes. I didnt even see this thread or knew so many people were having a problem.

Then I installed a program called Adaware, which looks through your registry and finds embedded ad software in your registry and cleans it out. Well, after deleting a few adware keys in my registry, my game started to have the crash symptoms talked about here. About 10 minutes into every multiplayer game it would crash. The fool that I am, I didn't make a backup of my registry.

I tried: Reinstalling game, reinstalling video drivers, reinstalling windows, reinstalling DirectX, copying the CD to my HD and installing from there. But to no avail.

Then I uninstalled JKO and deleted EVERY SINGLE key that contained "Jedi" in my registry. I installed again, and it works fine now.

I know this solution was posted before, but maybe someone like me, ran a similar registry program and screwed themselves.

Let me know if this helps.

Throwing in my .02$

I origonally had this problem bad with RTCW. In RTCW it happened in loads and during levels.

I flushed the system formatted the HD, replaced the memory chips so they were one brand and did a clean install of win2kpro.

The game went from very repetitive crashes to random crashes. it could be 3 minuites or three hours. In single or Multi. I also stopped freezing during loads. The 1.03 patch helped as well (1.01 made it worse, 1.03 made it more infrequent).

Then I installed JK2. (THESE ARE THE ONLY NON WIN2K PROGRAMS ON THE COMPUTER)

JK2 shows the Exact same prediliction to freezing randomly. It has never happened to me mid load or cutscene.

The game runs perfect with no slowdown ever, and no control or sound problems. (except I have to keep reconfiguring the controls every time I start the damn thing)

The problem also increases the longer you live with it. The freezes become more frequent until you re-install the game. Which i have already done.

Its the EXACT same issue in both RTCW and JK2

My specs.

AMD 700mhz processor

256k ram

Nvidia GeForce 3 200/64 newest drivers

soundblaster

TearForger

It seems to be a common problem with all Quake 3 engine games, though much more frequent with JK2.

Hmm, in any case, I was wondering - for all those of you who can run the game without it freezing/crashing, what is your PCI Latency in your BIOS set to? Mine's currently set to the default 32, but I figure that it might be associated to the freezes in these games based on the problems VIA users have with their motherboard. While I'm not running a VIA, I am running an ALi board which may or may not have the same issue that's yet undiscovered.

I had freezing problems. The only thing that i did to remove them from all my games is to reduce agp to 2x instead of 4x

thats it, the problems will be solved

If you guys want to make sure that you are running on 2x agp then download this prog ZTAGPTool111

thatll do it, have fun with the game

Sweet Jesus, I just had a 3-hour long game of Jedi Knight II. Guess what, it finally works!

I'm not sure what I did, but here's all of the changes I made since the last time I played JK2:

1. Downloaded 28.32 drivers and installed them. Like I said before, I had this little problem with the new drivers not activating AGP Texture Acceleration on my computer. Well, I fixed that with Riva Tuner. Turns out it was a driver problem with ALiMAGIK1-based motherboards like my Asus A7A266.

Anyone having a problem with new NVidia drivers (beyond 23.11) should get RivaTuner to enable ALi motherboard support.

If you don't already have 28.32, I totally recommend them for what ever Nvidia card you're using. The graphics are a lot crisper and you don't get ****ed up crashes with RTCW.

2. Tweaked my BIOS to use 2x AGP instead of 4x. There's not much difference in 2x and 4x compared to 1x and 2x, anyway, so it's no big loss. If anything, it's very stable.

3. Installed ALi's AGP 1.90 drivers for my motherboard. They were released a couple of days ago, apparently to ammend stability issues with the motherboard. Been working quite lovely, really. I think that these drivers are the things that may have fixed my freezing problems.

4. Switched to 800x600 mode.

In any case, it could have been a combination of my graphics card overheating (hence the game freezing up about 10 seconds the second time you tried to play after it froze up the first time, rebooted and restarted the game) and AGP issues with MY motherboard.

Great to see it's working fine for me now. :)

I'm going to try to play it in 1024x768 and see if I experience any freezes.

Wow!! Dropping to 1X AGP has made my ENTIRE SYSTEM more stable! I also "underclocked" my perma overclocked (500@800) Athlon to a measly 760... Lol!! JK2 runs like a dream now. Not to mention the rest of my system..

I'm going to try re-enabling game settings and DX Sound acceleration one at a time. Will let you know how it goes...

Solution = lowering AGP settings!

Archived