Home

freezing.

zombi3

Same problem, and many many deadends later, now its gone.

win2k pro

athlon 1800+ on an asus a7V333, 512 MEG pc2100

radeon 32meg ddr with latest drivers

directX8.1

jkII patch 1.03

(2 weeks into problem: )

Temporary relief from uninstalling and reinstalling. Played an hour or maybe two, got all excited, but freezes started again, and got more and more frequent until game basically unplayable again, as seen in other posts.

(2.5 weeks into problem: )

rebuilt from ground up, VIA drivers, radeon drivers, directx re-install. Some relief again, but just got more and more frequent again.

Then, I ran Norton Systemworks, found 2 flaws in the directX installation, fixed them, restarted, got excited, but it had no effect. reinstalled dx, re-ran the test, nothing, nada, dead end.

:(. Then, I did two more things of note.

1) Having more or less given up, i happened to defragment by drive, and oddly enough it was actually quite fragmented (~18%). The most fragmented files had nothing to do with jkII nor dX8, so it's still a mystery,

2) I had nearly 100 save games, and the game started doing really weird things, like I'd try to save a new game and it would actually just create a copy of an old save-game, and put it at the top of the list. Very puzzling, not to mention frustrating. So, I deleted almost all of my save games.

BOTTOM LINE) No more freezing. none at all. turned my gl extensions back on, went back to 800x600, cranked up the textures etc...

Could it be some weird bug in how it manages the save game files?

a) I get a sound stutter every time I go into the load section of the main menu

b) these crashes seem to be most frequent in the few seconds following a save or a load.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by janusha

Same problem, but now its gone.

After trying a thousand things, I finally just uninstalled jkii, keeping save game files, and reinstalled. Now an hour of freeze-free single player has gone by. Seems faster too, which is nice.

Is it possible that when you update video drivers you just have to suck it up and reinstall the game? This is my guess.

Similar story to mine, but the freezes came back a few days later and now things are so bad I've all but given up trying to play the game. I've also started to have the general random system crashes (which others have reported) now.

Very frustrating...

I am glad my conclusion helped somebody. heh But on the GeForce 2 MX 400, I have that it does this so the MX vs full cards isn't right. Not to call anybody a liar you know. This but is code related and is random. Sigh. I have the game uninstalled and play other stuff till a fix comes, IF it comes.

Originally posted by ForceBoi

IS raven even aware of our this freezing problem? This isn't just a problem a few people are having...

It's happening to a lot of people, including me :(. A while ago I posted about this on the main forum, linking to this thread and others, and Mike Gummelt responded by saying that it was the first he had heard of this problem and he never said anything else afterwards. This is so frustrating to me, you have no idea. This game should not be freezing for any of us unless you have a 5 year old computer

ok i just recently bought jk2... after i installed it i got that ghey white screen of death prob.. i got that fixed when i switched the compatibility to 98/me... now here's the prob... after i pass the white screen part the first open logos/cinematics the one with lucasarts/activision/ then raven once raven finishes playin it freezes right b4 the setup screen... i get a black screen with a blueish flickering cloud @ the bottom of the screen and i can't do nuttin but just closing it... PLZ HELP ME!

system specs:

AMD 900mhz

384megs ddr ram

SB Live 5.1 Platinum

ATI 128megs Radeon 7500

k7t266 Pro2 mobo

winXP pro

yes i have all the latest drivers for everything from via chipset to sound card... so plz plz help me get passed this... and yes i have tried reinstalling over and over agian

Okay! I have grat news for me! I tried EVERYTHING. One small setting plus a whole lotta different crap finally fixed it! I installed DirectX 9, installed the PCI latency patch for VIA chipsets, modified the memory timing using WPCREDIT, disabled ACPI, installed latest VIA 4in1 beta's, installed the latest nVidia beta drivers (leaked). I had not fixed it yet. I was about to give up on the game, until I looked at the settings for the game in MP. I had EAX on for some dumb reason, and then I disabled GL extensions. FIXED! It still locks up for about 5 seconds when I die, but I'm sure that's another issue. I believe the problem was with the chipset and the nVidia card mostly. Dunno how, but I fixed it.

I'm getting problems similar to the ones you are describing, only they are not random.

About 3 weeks ago, jediknightii just started crashing on me, and after messing around I found it was when other people catch their sabers after throwing them...

Nothing else makes it freeze like this, and I can throw my saber just fine, it's just when other people do it, online, and even just bots.

My system specs are:

P3 600

Nvidia GF2Pro 64Mb

128Mb RAM

Windows '98 (so it's not just WinXP)

Legit copy of JKII (I first thought it was cos I installed it off a copied version, but I installed it on a different drive twice from the legit copy, and still the same problem)

Oh well, no JKII for me until they release a patch :(

Or until I find the problem....

Omg, 2 minutes of playing and I just fixed my problem (or at least so I think) Desann managed to throw his lightsaber 5 times at me and no crashes :D

All I did was turn EAX off! I have no idea why it should have been enabled in the first place, but if everyone else's problem is related to this, I urge you all to turn EAX off and try it.

I still have GL Extensions on, and the game seems fine.

3 weeks of trying loads of different things all cos of that...grrr :mad:

I had a feeling from the start it was my soundcard, I dunno why. I am so stupid for not checking that option off...

Oh well, at least it's working now, hope i'm not proven wrong :p

crap I finally got to the end of this thread to find out if anyone has a "common fix" yet. Unfortunatly there doesnt seem to be a common fix.

I to have the sound looping freezing problem

specs

Athlon 1700 xp proc

geforce 2 mx 32 mb

512 ram

hercules muse soundcard

mirosoft intellimouse optical

from what I have read so far the people that have fixed the freezing bug have done so by accident or they work for awhile and freeze up again

My single player game works fine only have this problem with Multi-player usually after around 5 minutes of playing.

Also it didn't happen until I put in the 1.3 patch think that has anything to do with it?

By the way RAVEN SOFTWARE why havent you responded to this thread? This is rediculas to pay 50.00 for a game and not have it work right!

Raven_Xwing, try turning EAX off, it seems to have worked for at least 2 of us in this thread. If it does not work, or u have EAX disabled already, then it is obviously not the same problem.

Although, it does seem to be a sound problem, so you could try tweaking with sound settings, see if that helps?

[edit] I just found this on the 1.03 information

This update for the game has been modified to:

---------------------------------------------

Provide EAX® 3.0 and OpenAL support. To enable these options, you will need to enable 3D Sound in the Sound Setup menu. NOTE: At the time of release of this update, EAX 3.0 is only supported on the Creative Labs Inc. SoundBlaster® Audigy and Extigy sound cards. NOTE: This feature is not supported on Aureal® Vortex and Vortex 2 sound cards. Enabling this feature with a card with one of these chipsets may cause the game to lock up.

Hmm, 'cause the game to lock up' sound familiar? This is making me think it is more then probably a sound related problem.

Try tweaking sound settings peeps, and report success/problems back here, see if we can fix this deal once and for all.

Add me to the freeze/infinite loop list...Man this blows...before I installed a Windows update I could play for like 1 minute, but after the update, the game freezes in the intro scene with that milk run...run...run...run...

My specs :

AMD 1GHz

256 MB DDR

GeForce 2 PRO

Integrated soundcard...

welp i found my prob its just not fixable. i believe my vid card is fried, and jk2 just pushed it over the edge cuz after i installed it every one of my other 3d games would freeze as well even internet explorer sometimes.

after tryin a bunch of diff crap and talkin with one of their techs for 3 weeks, i decided to take off my case and blow a fan on it (by this time i had allready uninstalled jk2 for awhile. i fired up tribes 2 and it seemed to last about 5 mins longer than usual. so i installed an a/c in the window next to my comp, turned it up full blast and when it got cold tried tribes2, gta3, and morrowind. they all lasted for about 30 to 45 mins. so i was like thats weird it should work in this temp just fine. so i put the comp right up to the a/c so it was blowin right into it and tribes2 lasted for an hour an a half before i just turned it off. then i put the case back on with the a/c off and crashed within 5 mins. :/

ive only had this card for a year and its never been overclocked (nothin on my comp is) but jk2 finally killed it. and yes its a legal copy.

oh yea and its a ge2 mx400 32mb

Stevho, did your MX400 come with active cooling, do you have a fan screwed into its heatsink blowing down onto it? I used to have one of the original GF2 MXs and its heatsink would get blister hot when I ran "killer" 3D apps. If you don't you might want to consider attaching a 486 fan or something similar blowing down onto the GPU's HSF - it will make a world of difference in your card's stability. Keep in mind it will also void the card's warranty. Don't know if any of this applies to you, but running a GF2 MX400 w/o a fan on a killer 3D app like JK2 will make that GPU "burn"!

On another note:

Got my first "Infiinite Sound Loop" error yesterday! But it wasn't in JK2. I borrowed a friend's HighHeat Baseball 2003 and now I know what everyone's talking about. Given the rig I was playing on, I've come to the following conclusions (as others have):

- it happens on any operating system (I'm using Win98SE)

- it happens with any video card (I'm using a Hercules Kyro 2)

- it can happen with games other than JK2

The ONE thing I had to change on my rig in order to play the game was installing DirectX 8.1. Prior to this I had always used DirectX 8.0a. Seems a little too coincidental to me that as soon as I install DX8.1, I get the infamous "infinite sound loop". Unfortunately, I can't try the HH2003 with DX8.0a as it won't even start up. To me, this definitely smells like a software problem - the key is who's at fault. Shot in the dark here but is there anyone out there using DX8.0a who's getting the "loop"? Anyone out there with a non-VIA board that's getting the problem?

Ofcourse the freeze/infinite sound loop can happen in every other game.But it doesn´t.Not nearly as frequently as it happens in Jedi Knight 2.Of all the games I installed and played on my new rig, JK2 is the 1st one that freezes like that.

People, if JK2 fries your hardware, shouldn´t you like, sue Raven Software & Lucas Arts?

The game has been out quite some time now and a patch should already have been made for this problem.I´m getting real pissed at those people...

I´m thinking about returning my copy...but I´ll stick around and wait for a solution for a while more...

TyraNith, I don't have eax enabled as I dont have a sound card that supports it, I tried all sound settings and really doesnt make a difference, the thing is it is random also, sometimes I can play for hours at a time fine other times it is lucky to last 5 minutes. I have diresct x 8.1 that came with win xp..Seems like xp aggrivates the problem also from what I have read in other posts.

from what I can gather the problem happens when there is a sound effect in the game as well as a big graphic happenning at the same time. The screen freezes , and sound loops over and over. only thing to get out of it is to do a reboot .

I got a reply from activision support, and they said that for some people this freezing/sound loop problem is solved by reducing hardware sound acceleration to basic.It didn´t do the trick for me.

However, I tried running Jedi Knight 2 safe mode and crancked up the graphic settings, guess what -> no freeze/soundloop whatsoever !

Now I can finally enjoy the game.

no chiles there is no fan on my vid's heatsink, i know thats the prob but i dont see why t2 would work before but after installin jk2 wont work now. so im thinkin jk2 made it so hot it screwed somethin up in there. and yes it does get really hot, it will burn my hand if i touch it while a 3d game is runnin. i really dont care about the vids warranty since ill be buildin an entire new rig soon, so maybe ill try the fan.

It seems that the higher you crank your settings, the more likely you are to suffer from the "freezing". I have some experimenting I have to do to see if the blame is DX8.1's or my laziness in installing it - I didn't reinstall mobo, video, or sound drivers after I upgraded to DX8.1.

Stevho, trying to run your GF2 MX on today's games is brutal on that GPU. I used it on older games two years ago like Quake 2 and the thing got blister hot. You really need to screw on a fan and cool that puppy down.

People have stated that JK2 can screw up other games - I have no idea what that's all about.

Originally posted by Raven_Xwing

Anakin, running it that way does it run slow or are the frame rates and graphics still good?

Nope.Graphics are great, frame rate too.I really don´t know what´s the difference between safe mode and normal mode.

Archived