Home

freezing.

zombi3

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what I have. But I do still get freezing every now and then. But nothing like before.

Windows Xp Pro

AMD Athlon 1.2/Dragon Orb 3 Fan (7000rpm)

CPU Temperature Average 107F

1 Gig Ram PC-133

ATI Radeon 7000 64DDR

Maxtor Hard Drive 20 gig 7200 (Running at ATA 100)

Ultra ATA133 Round IDE Cables

Ensoniq Pci Sound Card

Internet: Cox Cable

• 2 weeks later...

OK, after many months, I have made some progress, but not to completion (the game still freezes now and again.)

I bought a new Power Supply and tried it out several weeks ago. The game crashed again, so I put it away.

I got to thinking this weekend that it was power related, so I started pulling the cable out of some of my components. First the second HD, then the CDRW. Then I looked into my Device Manager to see that one of my two NICs (I use Internet connection sharing) was using the same IRQ as the GeForce 2Ti.

So I disabled both NICs too.

I then loaded up JKII and played for over an hour with no crashes!!!

Great, I thought. So I started powering up some devices - crash!

Time to get the trusty 300W P/S again (it doesn't fit in my Micro ATX case BTW! :)

Another long session later, I'm thinking "problem solved".

However, as we all know by now, this problem isn't a simple one.

A couple of tips -

If your game crashes at startup (or often), delete the JK2 config.cfg file before loading the game. (This will mean you have to apply your preferences again. Make as few changes as possible in the config menu - there are suspicions that this can cause instability in the game.)

Look for IRQ conflicts in your hardware settings.

Don't Quicksave/quickload - go through the save and load menus.

Keep well clear of EAX sound!

OK, to put it this way most people have MP crashes, right? well, The MP program is not written very well. Therefore, a combonation of drivers(Sound, Graphics and motherboard) do not work right together on some programs. I have one of the combos that makes some programs freeze. those programs are JKII, Ski resort tycoon and when I play games online (especially 3d ones) they crash, too. If someone asks me, I will go more into detail

My problem is somewhat different, I have freezes and soundloops. Mine are completely random. Anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours. The difference in mine though, is that after I started having jk2 freezing problems, the computer started doing that even when I'm not in jk2. not as frequent but still...

I have 2 computers, I use this one more. the other one is my dad's and that's the one I play jk2 on. (this one doesn't have a 3d accelerator) anyway, I know I have a pentium 3 processer and windows 98 plus.

If this is a sound card issue can I get a few ideas on the best sound to get. Thanks

Windows Xp Pro

AMD Athlon 1.4 Thunderbird/Dragon Orb 3 Fan (7000rpm)

CPU Temperature Average 110F

1 Gig Ram PC-133

ATI Radeon 7000 64DDR

Abit KT7A-RAID Motherboard

Ensoniq Pci Sound Card (Standard 20 dollar card)

So I've been frustrated for some time now about all the problems I've been having with JKII and lock-ups.

After wading through reams of info on various forums, talking to friends etc., I got to thinking that my video card was sucking too much power through the AGP slot, causing it to crash (despite having a 300W supply feeding plenty of juice to the PC). The card has an onboard fan. In a thought which seemed to defy logic, I wondered if disconnecting the fan would reduce the power consumption on the card.

So sure enough, in a last ditch attempt of desperation, I UNPLUGGED THE FAN!

:eek:

To my amazement I had a three hour game playing session on several games (especially Q3-based games) with no crashes!!!

:lsduel:

Many people think their cards overheat, but in my case the cooling device was causing an unwanted power surge! I am a little worried that my card may be getting a bit hot, but I'm sure that my PIII 600 isn't taxing it too much.

I also tried to connect the fan to a different power lead by buying an adapter for the power lead, but this only caused the system to crash again. I am going to contact the manufacturer to find out if the card (or at least the fan) is somehow faulty.

I don't know how many of you are having similar power and/or interference problems like mine, but it's definitely one to try.

Yahoo - I'm playing JKII again!!

:rddance:

well , I still have freezes ---not just with jK2 but other 3d games as well. I Just patched windows xp with the new service pack (SP1) and seems like the problem has gotten worse!

I sure would love to know what the solution is..Seems to me its a combination of Windows Xp, nvidia video card, and a sound card issue..Any one have a solution? Please??/lol

Maybe it’s the CPU getting too hot. I did notice that my CPU runs a lot hotter while I’m playing JKII. I just bought a water cooler system for my CPU. It dropped from 130 degrees to 85. Played last night and no freeze ups.

Windows Xp Pro

AMD Athlon 1.4 Thunderbird/Senfu Sf-WR111 II Water Cooler

CPU Temperature Average 107F

1 Gig Ram PC-133

ATI Radeon 7000 64DDR

Abit KT7A-RAID Motherboard

Ensoniq Pci Sound Card (Standard 20 dollar card)

My Homepage

I'm getting the freezing/looping problem as well, but only when I try to start a server(just seconds after it finishes loading). I was getting the problem after joining a server, but I turned the option for "wait until death to update" thingy to off, and now I can play online without problems.

This thread was started in March, and although I haven't read every single post, I have read quite a few, and nothing has worked for me as of yet besides the "wait until death" thing. I have all the latest drivers for my hardware as well. It's too bad I can't start up a server. SP on my machine kicks major ass, but I've finished the game.

wow its been awhile since ive posted in this part of the forums. im still getting frezzes all the time. it stopped for awhile though but now its back. i d/l the unreal2k3 demo and it frezzes in the first 2 minutes:( im going to get a new video card soon though. atleast i hope

• 3 weeks later...

alright, im getting really ******* angry here.

i just reinstalled jkII cause i heard they finally trashed 1.3 (finally:() and fixed some of the MP probs.

so i reinstall the game (ive formatted since than) and about a minute after entering an MP server with my own bots to practice and check out the new version, i get the freeze w/ sound loop.

i run an IRC server and an FTP server off this box, and fold, while playing 4 hour + sessions of bf1942 and various assorted games. this system is stability tested harcore and has proven itself various times to be stable. i havent had a problem with it in almost 6 months.

now after 1 min of starting jkII i get this freeze. so i cold reboot it, and try again with every process shut off, and no other proggies at all running. BOOM it just finished loading the map and i got the freeze w/sound loop. i have since than tried most of the attempted fixes in this thread to no avail. 15 pages and no word from lucasarts/raven? wtf is this?

specs:

400w Antec truepower PSU

XP 1600+ @1.68ghz

Abit KX7-333

512mb Crucial pc2100

gf3 TI200@+TI500 speeds w/WHQL 30.82 det's

SB Audigy with a clean install of the newest drivers and none of the CD stuffs

120gb WD 8mb cache/60gb Maxtor D740X

Leadtek TV tuner

Intel pro 10/100 NIC

STILL LOCKS AT STOCK SPEEDS!!

thats all that seems relavent. system is modded and has lots and lots of well balanced cooling on the CPU, memory, and video card, and runs every other game, OGL and d3d just fine.

if i dont get a response for how to fix this in a few days ill email raven (or Lucasarts) and tell them i want a refund, end of story

TIA for anyone that can help

is this were some problem in another proggie i would isolate it to be a software error or a hardware error, than pinpoint the software causing it. the system logs show no record of an error with anything prior to the crash, and im totally unable to reproduce it with any other program or game. im not going to change my vid drivers, they are WHQL, and if the authors of the game cant get it to work with the official drivers, than it shouldnt be on the shelves.

ok, i uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, and it still didnt work, it would freeze with sound loop as soon as it started.

so i disabled EAX.....

and just played an hour online:)

no probs with EAX disabled. my audigy has the newest drivers.

how many people with the problems have a creative sound card?

i have problems when it freezes every time it loads a second map ot loads the first one ok but when it gets to the second map it freezes during loading of the second map even when the progress bar is completed it just wont activate the next map i have installed new drivers and put on DX 8.1 Again to try to make it work but to no avail i have limited games to play now the only way i can get to the next level is if i restart the computer and type the map name into the console and that is annoying

Originally posted by AticXes

DISABLE EAX i did and it fixed the freezing for me in both SP and MP modes:)

nope didnt work still does that for some weird reason never happened to me before (i got this game on day of release and it worked perfectly then)

so what else could it be?

I've owned JKii ever since release and never had a problem.

My system consisted of the following:

Abit KT7A (ver1.3) - Latest BIOS

1.8GHz XP

Leadtek GeForce 3 - used 23.11, 28.32, 29.42 & 30.82 (all OK)

SB Live (value) - Latest drivers

1GB SDRAM

Windows XP (Prof) - all relevant updates except SP1

JKii - patched to 1.04

I managed to complete the game several times on various difficulty settings. In fact, my 3yr old son loves to come home from nursery and have a blast on MP (honestly). He's not very good, but @ 3yrs, I don't think you guys will need to worry quite yet!

Recently upgraded to GF4 Ti46 and installed 40.71 (beta) and still no problems.

Monday I bought a SB Audigy to add a little more depth to my gaming experience. Removed SB live drivers and rebooted. Installed new Audigy card and installed latest drivers from SB's website. So far so good. Changed the sound options to enable EAX support and away we go!!!

!!!DS was desperate to have a go, wanted to try out his latest trick (crouching - LOL)

NOW WE HIT A SLIGHT PROBLEM – FREEZING WITH SOUND LOOP

hmm - Logic dictates that the last thing changed must be causing the problem. Disabled EAX and away we go - NO FREEZING and one very happy son.

Strange thing is - Single player doesn't suffer with the same fault. I'm no expert on games so I can't figure out why MP freezes while SP doesn't. I'll leave that up to you guys. But at least you've got another story to add to this ever-increasing thread

Hope it helps

• 2 months later...

I finally got this game, wanted for a while but never had the moeny to spare.

Great game, but Multiplayer, I found, would freeze every ten minuites. Finally found this thread and the EAX tip worked, thanks a lot for telling me. ::Misses the sound, but enjoys the game enough not to care::

Plus this thread needs a bump, should be a sticky if you ask me.

Archived