Home

freezing.

zombi3

I have a AMD Athlon 1.4ghz processor, 512mb mem, 64mb Ati Radeon 7500, WinXP OS. Like all of you, I encountered this freeze/lock-up problem in multi-player. Funny thing is, it didn't start happening until a week ago. I had updated all my drivers, and am even using a tweak utility for my graphics card...

Disable GL extensions does no good, at least for me. The one thing that I changed to fix it was to disable EAX sound in the sound menu of the game browser. :D

If this works for you, please let me know @ merlinova@hotmail.com

If any of you know how to keep those annoying messages from popping up in the console when using a gamepad, please, let me know...

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anakin, thanks I haven't tried to run in safe mode yet but I will and report back with the results. A quick update this may be a clue to the problem I don't know.

Ok my 20 gig harddrive was getting pretty full so I went to a comp. show this weekend and purchaced a 60 gig hard drive .I unplugged old hardrive and set it aside, hooked up the new blank 60 gig.I loaded win xp , used the newest nvidia drivers version 29.42, loaded sound card drivers and that was it. Then I loaded Jk2 and patched it to 1.3. so this was the only piece of software and game on the drive. I fired up Jk2 and played for hours ...no freezes! just to make sure I played many hours more over a 3 day period. The game ran great no freezes!

So as an exeriment I shutdown unhooked new hard drive and put in original 20 gig . I fired up Jk2 on that drive and within ten minutes it froze . So I am thinking cool all I had to do is reinstall Jk2 ansd windows. ...Wrong!

After the 20 gig froze I unhooked it again and ran the new hardrive played for another day fine but to night I tried it again and now it freezes just like befor sometimes after 5 minutes sometimes longer :(

Ok so I looked at some other posts others have tried to reload windows and Jk2 with the same results after a couple of days the freezing starts AGAIN! What is there a 2 day virus in the 1.3 patch? Another thing When 1.2 was out I dont ever remember the game freezing. So sorry to rant for so long bottom line still no fix game still freezes!

I experience problems with JKII crashing on my system every 20-90 minutes, what happenes is the game freezes and all I see is the last screen of the game and nothing happens, I cannot escape I have to use the master switch to restart my computer, my system specs are as follows,

AMD 2100+

Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200

Jedi Knight 2 (1.03)

EAX sound

Creative Labs Audigy Sound Card

4.1 piece Altec Lansing Speakers

Someone help me!

Jake

Chancellor Valorum.

I call for a new chancelor to power. I cannot wait and just watch my people die. We need support on this in the next patch because its happening to me to, at least 20-50 times a day.

I have XP home and Athlon 800 and all drivers

ok, obvisously Raven isnt going to solve this issue so we need to stick together and solve it. If our computer froze while we were just using it and not playing JKII how would we approach fixing it, update drivers, memory, change settings? and we tried all this many times and i mean MANY TIMES so what else is there that we can do? Has any one tried returing the game for a different one? i was going to try this but i lost my recipt

I've had JK Outcast for a week now and installed the 1.03 patch right away so I don't have any performance details prior to that. But...

1. I thought the game took a long time to load (always around 1-2 minutes) from a checkpoint (infact the 1st gun thing you get to sit in). Changing between "Fastest" & "Bestest" only accounts for around 15 seconds. Maybe I'm just getting impatient in my old age.

2. I'm sure I had more FPS with Quake2 (40's +). I'm getting 20 fps just looking at the rocky scenery in the 1st level. "Fastest" only gives 25 fps.

3. Complete freeze when switching from just 640x480 to 800x600. Sometimes a white screen of death, sometimes it actually gets to the game up updates the screen about once every 10 seconds. I can fire or move the mouse but it takes ages for the update to occur. Changing my mobo BIOS from AGP 4x to 2x seemed to fix this. It was a silly setting as my PCI was overclocked at the time. All the results below are at default (133 RAM/33 PCI).

I came over to you guys for some advice and was a little suprised on the length of the threads occupying these problems. After trawling through them I'm none the wiser.

So here's my contribution in the form of some performance monitoring carried out while loading my checkpoint game (1st level - the sit down gun thing):

System:

512MB PC133 SDRAM

PIII 533Mhz (running at 533 for the tests)

Asus V6800 DDR (32MB) AGP (2x)

Asus P3V4X mobo

Win2k SP2

Latest everything; Direct 8.1b, 29.42 nVidia drivers etc.

These stats are for loading the checkpoint, jumping out of the chair-gun and running about for about 3 seconds and then quiting back to the desktop:

1. CPU utilisation remains pretty much at 100%.

2. Available RAM decreases from 400MB to 21MB. Yes - 21. Now that's cutting it fine.

Those stats were based on my personal "quite high settings". BTW - I'm sure my V6800 used to do antialiasing. Doesn't seem to make any difference (in Flight Simulator 2002) since 29.42 install. Maybe unrelated.

Changing to "Safe Mode - Fastest", the RAM goes 400MB to 250MB.

I have a 17k gif of the performance monitor graph:

http://www.thesignpost.demon.co.uk/JKOutcast/JediKnight_Load_Checkpoint.gif

Strangely my USB modem powered itself off (not even online) while recently playing and I couldn't even logoff after quiting the game (Saving your settings... for eternity).

The first JK game I bought was great, even on a meagre P166. The 2nd JK game was, um, not very good - had more fun with a one piece jigsaw. But this one looks like the game the 2nd should have been. Bar the quirks this is a good game.

Regards,

Ed.

I have tried everything, no use, this really sucks, I can't even enjoy single player....:(....I can't play online and I can't even play with the bots cause it friggin locks up at different times. And I realized that, for some reason JKII takes up alot of memory. Seems like it just sucks it up at times. Damn Raven back this up, help us out.

I have the latest Nvidia DetonatorXP drivers, latest DirectX, fully updated bios, JO patch, everything. I have tried running in 1024x768 x 32(desktop resolution), 800x600, and 640x480. Only in 1024x768 did I notice hiccups, but in all resolutions it locked up. First time it was as soon as the game started and i was to follow her. The second time it was during the intro while in the ship, and the third and fourth time it locked up as soon as it finished loading the level, before the bar was even off the screen. Everytime but the last, I also got a sound loop. Everytime I had to do a hard reset of my computer because it totally froze. Can we expect another patch anytime soon? I love their games, just installed SOF II.

add me to the list.

constant freezing and sound looping. I currently do not have my SBLive! installed, I am using onboard sound.

I have:

Athlon 2100+ XP

Epox 8k3a

768 MB PC2100 DDR

GF3 TI 200

Windows XP PRO

I am going to try some of these fixes people have had I will reply if any work.

Now I'm not so sure my memory problem was specifically with JK2 Outcast.

After uninstalling a bunch of stuff and reinstalling it my memory now only dips to 178MB rather than 21MB. Didn't reinstall JK though. And my frame rates for looking at the scenery have gone from 20 fps to 60's (1024x768 32 bit colour, high textures, volumetric shadows etc).

All the following is using DX 8.1b...

Uninstalled nVidia 29.42 drivers & Hercules soundcard drivers.

Uninstalled a bunch of stuff using Control Panel -> Add/Remove Hardware -> Uninstall/Unplug -> Uninstall and enable "Show hidden devices".

I picked off all copies of joysticks, monitors, HID devices and all the "Unknown" devices. It was during this last phase I realised I had removed my Via chipset drivers 'cos there were now only 2 entries for the whole system. Oops.

Rebooted but didn't let any hardware install dialog progress - cancelled all of them.

Reinstalled Via 4in1 "4.39 beta" drivers. Rebooted. Blue screened. Safemode reboot. Reinstalled the AGP 4in1 driver only just to make to sure. Rebooted ok this time.

Installed Asus "29.41" drivers (Win2KXP_2941.exe). States 29.40 in the install dialog and the Asus "Information" dialog so I think the filename is misleading. Rebooted.

Reinstalled Hercules 4.10 drivers. Rebooted twice ('cos they put an entry in the RunOnce registry key after the first reboot but don't ask you to reboot to finish the job - dunno if it makes a difference though).

Reran my OS service pack (in my case w2kSP2SRP1.exe). Rebooted.

JK2 loads my saved game in 50 secs and my framerate has rocketed. My perfmon shows available memory goes from 21MB to a much more respectable 178MB.

Now, there is the possibilty of a huge spanner in the works as I installed the DirectX 8.1 SDK prior to all this to try and resolve a joystick issue.

Essentially only the nVidia 29.42 drivers were removed and replaced with my Asus 29.40 drivers and a service pack reapplied. All the other components were there to start with.

Regards,

Ed.

(Asus P3V4X mobo, 512MB, Asus V6800 DDR AGP, PIII 533, win2k)

well folks we are not alone I just got done cruising the Microsoft website under community newsgroups to try to find a fix for this problem from what I can gather there is no fix yetg. whats more is Jk2 is not the only game that this happens with. Sigh ...some one has to have a fix right? heres the site I was cruising if anyone wants to look.

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windowsxp.games&SLCID=US&scrollnews=m1s9s3s5

Well, I started scanning the replies, again, and found one that i though might work. Except, I took it a little further. I turned my desktop color depth down from 32 bit to 16 bit, I also did the same with the 2 settings in the JO graphics settings, plus I am running the game at 800x600 instead of 1024x768 which my desktop is set to. Otherwise, everything is set to the highest setting. I was able to play for about 30 minutes from the very beginning, save my game, and exit the game with no problems at all. I tried each one individually at risk of more lost clusters from rebooting, changed 800x600 to 1024x768, and the texture settings and the other setting bback to 32 bit, and it still worked, atleast so far. Seems just changing my desktop color depth from 32 bit to 16 bit worked.

Also, I cant get Jan to follow me so she can enter the code into the control panel on the first level, she just keeps saying, stuff like, your going the wrong way, or, im not doing this alone, but she wont budge from either the hallway or the room she is in.

One Question, I have a 32 Meg DDR Geforce 2 GTS Deluxe, should handle the game well, but when I enable 32 bit textures the skin tones of the characters change, when looking at the girl(dont know name, sorry) she has normal skin, except she has blocks that look like a shadow is being cast on her, even though one isnt. Any reason for this?

Anyhow, I hope this will work for some of you, It has so far for me, I will keep you updated, and tell yall if I get another lockup/freeze. I had the same problem in Medal of Honor AA, maybe this same thing will work for that also.

Thinking of upgrading to Win2k Pro, any reasons I shouldnt? Other than the fact that I should get XP Pro? Dont have the money.

Originally posted by Headcharge

I have tried everything, no use, this really sucks, I can't even enjoy single player....:(....I can't play online and I can't even play with the bots cause it friggin locks up at different times. And I realized that, for some reason JKII takes up alot of memory. Seems like it just sucks it up at times. Damn Raven back this up, help us out.

I totally agree with you, I get so ****ing upset now whenever the game freezes or crashes because it happens so much to me. RAVEN OR LUCASARTS WILL YOU WAKE UP AND FIX THIS!! :swear: :swear: :mad:

Is just getting ridiculous, I can't even play the game, I got my new PC and everything, one of the reasons just so I could play this game, and others. And it doesn't even run, and not only that, but there hasn't even been a fix yet?! This should of been discovered long ago....I hope the fix is released soon, it's already been along time.

Disabling EAX helped me fixed this problem. Always wondered wut caused my freezes, they were so annoying. Anways here's my specs.

Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4 gig)

geforce2mx

40 gig hd

soundblaster 16PCI (this is why i got crashes, even tho it says it supports EAX. apprantly not for JK2 :rolleyes:)

msi K7T Turbo limited mobo

Hope this helps some of u,

westside

Plz Click Here

Last thing I did was reinstall the latest XP geforce drivers, when I ran JK2 I thought everything was fixed cause it lasted awhile....But then, eventually....It froze again, I'm just gonna give up, I've turned EAX off, lowered the sound quality, turned GL extensions off. Messed with other options as well, and still, no use....I'm just gonna wait till something that really does work comes along I guess. Yeah it sucks, but what else can I do?...:(:confused:

ok try this.

if it only crashes in mutiplayer like mine, make a server with human slots only, then play on it. can you make it crash with just you running around with no bots ?confused: i can't make it crash when its just me.

this makes me think that it must have something to do with the bots models respawning on death option or something, even though it'll freeze whether this is on or off.:jawa :

A long time ago (last week) on a computer far, far away (my roommates room) I could play.

I started playing JO on ......

• Soyo SY-6BA * AGP 2x only *
  • Slot 1 P3 500
  • 3 128 Crucial ram
  • Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
  • Visiontek Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128ram
  • Windows Xp Home (Made my networking gravy)

The game ran fine with this rig when a few folks where on a server but once more than 6 entered it became chop city, So I bought hardware so that I could play in group battles in JO. (My roomate got my handmedowns ;) )

I then upgraded to .....

• Soyo Dragon+
  • Athlon XP 1800+
  • 2 sticks of Crucial 256 2100 DDR
  • Volcano 6 HSF
  • Antec 350 PS
  • Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (From top system)
  • Visiontek Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128ram (from top system)
  • Windows Xp Home
  • Latest drivers,bios and updates on all.

I have had nothing but problems for the past week. It started out ok, I was getting regular hangs when people joined the game. Bots even caused this hang when I was running my own network server. I have tried alot of differant configurations without success to fix this but it has got much worse over time and now I get the dreaded Soundloop and/or Crash and Bright Gamma treatment. Other times it just reboots without warning in JO, The 3D Mark 2001 benchmark and the Quake 3 Benchmark. Although other times it may run these programs, its a gamble.

I have went back to other OSes formatting the drive completly with no luck and tried almost every fix in this forum besides the 23.11 drivers(which i am downloading now) and Georges latency Patch.

To make a long story short *Snickers* add me to the list too ;)

Archived