freezing.

zombi3

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i got a fix (works so far for me)

for win98

first i uninstalled the game| clicked start/run| typed msconfig|

unchecked the box that said load startup groups items. then reinstalled the game. i also left the box unchecked.

this works for me but it is a little risky cause now i dont have my antivirus running at all times but its a small price to pay cause now i can play jk2 for hours now.(hope i didnt curse myself)

Pentium III (or whatever.. i dunno) 1.0GHz

128MB RAM

SiS 630/730 (yes, I know it sucks.)

Windows 98

I dont like hardware as you can see..

The patch didnt work.

Whenever I do a hard reboot my screen gamma goes as high as it can get and I have to go into Display etc and press Reset All in Gamma Correction or whatever (I just woke up)

Well, I actually made the game playable for an hour or 2.

I turned off the GL Extensions in Multiplayer and everything is as low as it gets. I have no clue where to get updated drivers for my SiS (yes, it sucks) because the company is lousy and I never wanted this video card.

I tried turning off GL Extensions in single player but that didnt do any good, only allowed 15 minutes of play instead of 2.

If anyone knows where to d/l drivers for my SiS I would be very happy to know :bounce1: :compcry:

I used to have the same problem, and after about 3 months of obsessing over it, I figured it out. It is the soundblaster live drivers. To make my long story short, only use the driver from the Microsoft update site, do not use the one from creative labs. BTW, anything using the Quake 3 engine had the same problem, and this, solved all the problems!

Anyone else know if DirectX 8.1b improves the freezing/hanging in Jedi Outcast?

So far, I've only read one post in this topic, which amazes me because the person who made the post gave such a glowing review of the 24.5 meg patch. Anyone want to offer a rebuttal of his warm, happy thoughts? I want to know if this patch will actually make my game stop hanging every 10 seconds.

So those of you who have the 8.1b patch, PLEASE START SOUNDING OFF. (If the patch isn't the wonderfix I hope it is, I won't blame you, the messenger.)

ever since i got the patch it stopped freezing on my computer. but i also got many other patches so i dont know which one it was for sure but i do know the 8.1 patch was the last patch i installed and i would say go for it and download the patch

and as for jcb1bea i wish it was that easy to fix but i installed those new drivers and it still froze but maybe that was just me

I'm pretty certain that there are several reasons why JKII crashes. In my house we have three computers, all running similiar specs..

(me:Athlon XP, Asus board, Audigy, Geforce 2)

(dn:Athlon Thunderbird, Gigabyte board, Live1024, Geforce 4)

(ab:Athlon Thunderbird, Epox board, Fortissimo, Geforce 2).

Even while I was suffering from the crash, the other guys - with similiar configurations - were kicking storm trooper butt, leaving me crying every night, as I could hear the anguised sounds as light sabre cleaved through flesh.

I've looked at a few posts in this thread, and the major point is ... WE ARE NOT ALL SUFFERING FROM THE SAME FREEZE.

I was trying to be quite specific when I described my problem i.e.,

- it happened every time I started a game

- always < 5 minutes

- both multi-player and single player mode

- the freeze manifests itself with a sound loop,

- you can still see the game on your screen

- ONLY a hard boot recovers.

I've seen some people say that their multiplayer works .. that is different from my problem, and this patch might not help.

The reason that I was dead certain that this was a directX issue (and NOT a video driver or sound driver issue), is because JKII worked for me perfectly until I installed Warcraft III. I had already played about 75% of JKII without any problems.

When it stopped working, I mucked about with the drivers, did a system restore, changed video settings, etc etc etc, but nothing worked. The game always froze, exactly like I described above.

I reinstalled XP (normally a cure all for any software related problem).. still it crashed.

I installed the 8.1b drivers but i also installed:

Q321178_WXP_SP1_x86_ENU.exe.

download Q321178 patch

d3d8.dll: 5.01.2600.0044 English Final Retail 5/6/2002 13:51:28 1180672 bytes

Note the version number is changed from 5.01.2600.0000 to 5.01.2600.0044

I believe that it is the Q321178 patch which does the job.

Read Q321178 in the Microsoft knowledgebase

Obviously the things to take note of here are:

A) This only affects XP (according to Microsoft), so if you are running something else, this is not your problem.

B) This only affects Athlon processors, so if you are running something else this is not your problem.

Microsoft describes the symptoms as:

Under very rare circumstances, games that use the Software Fixed Function Transform and Lighting functionality in DirectX 8.1 may stop responding (hang) while you play a game.

I'm not sure what very rare circumstances means.. is it hardware configurations.. or only when ceratin bits of code get exceuted. For me it wasn't rare, it always happened.

I don't know why I'm wasting time writing this, JKII is awesome, probably the best FPS I've ever played (and I've played a few). I'm certain that the patch helped me and I am confident that if A) and B) and your problem (at top of this post) sounds like mine, then this is most likely your problem.

Good luck guys, and if it worked for you why not tell everyone so we can put this Freezing post to rest.

My game speed isn't any quicker after installing DirectX8.1b. I'm not sure if I should be upset with Raven, or mad at myself. Here are specs for my computer, and conditions I use for the game:

COMPUTER:

P4 1.6 gig

1.5 gigs RAM

GeForce 3 Ti 200

Hard Drives: 40/60/60/80

Windows XP

GAME:

1100 x 800 resolution (forget exact number; not at that CPU now)

myself with 12 bots > all custom skins

As you see, I have good stuff, but Jedi Outcast is a resource hog. I can obviously turn the number of bots down, and that'll speed things up slightly, but I thought for sure I'd get better than a 17 frame rate. (On a side note, I REALLY need a cable or DSL line....I play with so many bots because they lack personality. Somehow, I enjoy playing if there's enough quantity to make up for the lack of quality multi-player insults.) If I play with 4 bots, I get about 40-45 KBps, with the numerous "hangs" going unabated. (Grrrr....) I have done some tweaks (like altering the hunkmegs from "64" to "512") and only that other update (Q34324234 or whatever that accompanies DirectX) has added 5-10 KBps. Somewhere along the way I defragmented and reinstalled everything relating to the game from scratch.

I have all the RAM a guy could want. I wonder if I get a P4 2.4 gig if I'll see any improvement? Any thoughts? Theoretically, it would help. But theoretically, I shouldn't have any speed or hang issues at all. I think I may try getting a faster processor next, but its irritating to have games that don't perform like you think they should.

Thanks for the reply, er583.

Which do you think would help me more? Getting the top-of-the-line GeForce 4 to replace my PNY GeForce 3 Ti 200, or getting a P4 2.4 gig processor to replace my P4 1.6 gig processor?

Also, to add to my specs, I have a Sound Blaster Audigy Ex.

Thanks for the tips in advance.

i would replace your video card before your cpu. first i suggest make a post in regards to the geforce 4 and see if its any good and try to see what other people who have, have to say . the video card you have right now is still good and you never know they might comeout with a driver in a week, month, who knows. i say only get it if you truely want it. the geforce 4 is a pretty sweet card though

I went and got it. I'm going to install it before the night is done. I checked out sharkyextreme.com and got the info that I needed. In their newest reviews of the GeForce 4's, they compare Jedi Outcast performance amongst GeF 4 4600s, 4400s, 4200s, and GeForce 3 500 & 200s. The differences between GeF 4 and 3 for Jedi Outcast (as they report it) are amazing. I'll know myself soon enough.

Well, I'm still having problems even after buying a GeForce 4 4600.

Going up against 7 bots, I get 25 fps.

Don't have a clue why the game won't ran fast...I think its the way I have my computer's software configured. My low speed and hangs can't be related to the hardware, as everything is supposed to be top of the line. I've heard SOME soundblaster sound cards have caused problems with this game. Anyone else know of problems between SB Live products and Jedi Outcast? Perhaps are there some key settings in Bios that I'm missing? (I have AGP aperture at 256.)

SPECS:

Windows XP

MSI 6528 LE motherboard

P4 1.6 gig

1.5 gigs RAM

VisionTek Xtasy GeForce 4 4600 128 meg DDR memory

Hard Drives: 40/60/60/80 (2 on mainboard, 2 using PCI card. game installed on mainboard's "C" drive)

Game Settings: 1100x800 resolution, with all settings at "very high" quality level selected.

have you tried updating the drivers for your soundcard? if not try that. so it still freezes with the all powerful geforce4 huh? but i bet the graphics are sweet:D well the only thing else i can think of is try the driveres for that videocard have you tried that? well i dont know what else to tell you other then keep hope alive.

Well, I lied. I'm back. I continued to look around for answers, and I did find something of use.

I read somewhere that if you turn off anisotrophic filtering that the game will not slow down or hang. Truth be told, disabling that filter turned out to solve my herkiness problem! I'm still getting a piss-poor FPS (considering what I have) but I have also found that my problem isn't rare - lots of people have good stuff and have been getting bad results.

Anyway, here's a link for other tweaks of the game:

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/jedioutcast/jedi-2.shtml

ibballin, if I had to guess, I'd say its my sound card. By all outward appearances, everything works fine. (All five channels send out sound) but when I go into my Creative Mixer to "test" the speakers, only the front left and front right respond. I've changed the speaker configuration in XP's control panel, checked the inside of my computer, downloaded the latest drivers, and tinkered around in Bios, but still the "test" only has 2 of 5 speakers respond. I read a widespread rumor that says Creative has new drivers on the way in mid to late August. As I have nowhere else to assign the blame, I'll be first in line to download the drivers.

To solve the crashing of JK2, I finally reformatted my hard drive; installed Windows 2000, then Direct X 8.1b, then the latest drivers for my Video card (GeForce4 Ti 4400), but I used the audio driver from WN 2000 for my audio card (Sound Blaster Live Value) and not the software driver that came with my sound card.

I have not experienced any crashing or freezing to date and hopefully not in the near future.

I sincerely hope this may help anyone who are still experiencing crashing or freezing problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having this freezing problem. But when I first started playing multiplayer mode I didn’t have this problem and I had video setting on highest quality. Now all og a sudden it’s doing it almost everytime. Only game that it doesn’t freeze so far is duel games. Maybe it has something to do with more players?

Windows Xp Pro

AMD Athlon 1.2/Dragon Orb 3 Fan (7000rpm)

CPU Temperature Average 107F

1 Gig Ram PC-133

ATI Radeon 7000 64DDR

Maxtor Hard Drive 20 gig 7200 (Running at ATA 100)

Ultra ATA133 Round IDE Cables

Ensoniq Pci Sound Card

Internet: Cox Cable

Pentium III - 500 Mhz

128 MB RAM, 12 GB HD

Win98

GeForce 2

I think it's the weather that does all the damage. Or the constellation of the stars. Or what you had for breakfast... I want to congratulate everyone who managed to solve his freezing problem an commiserations for those who didn't, but as for me, I quit. I tried about every suggestion, installed any latest patch, driver etc. that may help and... nothing. Kept me busy for weeks and I actually learned something, too.

Thank you Lucas, thank you Raven, you can stick your 50 $ light saber into your (oops, aborted)....

Just another thought. I’m not sure if anyone has suggestive it but I just did a bios update on my motherboard and now game runs fine. BEWARE if you do a bios update read the README file and make sure you have right files etc. you can mess up motherboard if you try to put wrong rom files etc. Good Luck

Archived