Home

freezing.

zombi3

I think you may very well have discovered the source of the problem I was having. 99% of the time, JKII would get to the main menu and lock up instantly with the sould skipping. My computer is in the Gateway shop getting a complete parts overhaul (for free, thanks to the 3 year parts warrenty) because of this issue (not only with this but with some other games that worked fine before). They couldn't figure it out. RAM was the only think they didn't check\, I think. oh, well.

Hopefully the game will be running over here like a well oiled Twi'lek slave girl by tomorrow ;)

Good call with the RAM, hopefully that'll solve some problems around here.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't had a problem until now... I get to the Doomgiver level, and right after the cutscene with Admiral Fyyar (the guy in the big gold robot suit) it freezes every freaking time just when I'm supposed to start fighting the guy. WTF? This is the only place I've had this locking up issue. I'm running with an Athlon 1.4, 256 DDR RAM, and Radeon 8500. Right now I'd be happy to just skip to the next level and see if this is an isolated incident (as in freezing just at this spot). Anyone know where I can find a list of level names so I can jump to the next level? Thanks. Or even better, tell me what the hell is making our computers mess up this bad. Maybe a patch will fix this....

In my case, its not the Sound Blaster card. I am fairly certain of this because I reformatted and tried playing with no sound drivers or support at all. Didn't work.

You know, I'd REALLY like to play this game. I've had it a week and never seen past the first ten seconds of the first level.

Not having ANY problems in SP, just in MP.

I run three systems on a Peer-to-peer network, and my client machines dump to desktop during a multiplayer game with live players & bots. Happens frequently. Doesn't require reboots or anything, just game restarts. Highly annoying. The server machine I'm using for the game plays flawlessly, even when my clients are dumping. WTF??

Any ideas?

Mordeen

Oh yeah, did I mention my clients also end up with the same model as me the first time they log in for a session, no matter which model they choose? It corrects itself the first time they respawn. Weird.

I registered just to say I've been having this problem as well. Sometimes I can play 3 hours without a problem and others it will freeze seconds after loading. This is mainly happening in single player.

PIII 667

GeForce DDR

256 ram

Some POS Via motherboard

MX300 soundcard

Win2k sp2

I've tried both the 23.11 drivers that you guys recommend and the 6.50 drivers which I was using before hand.

Glad to see others are having issues...

My issue is that the game dies at the end of the first level. The game installs fine, loads fine, saves fine, runs fine, sounds fine, and looks great (even at higher detail levels). But whenever I get to the end of the first level, the game dies and takes the system with it.

At the end of the first level, I walk across the new catwalk and go through the door. I See my stats for the level, and then the next level loads. The blue bar gets all the way across. Then one of two things happens:

1) The computer reboots on its own

2) The game appears to start the next level. I hear the sounds, see the gun waving up and down, get the notice about new info in the datapad, but I can't move, fire, or anything else. Even the caps lock key won't respond (the LED won't change on the keyboard). My only recourse is to reboot.

I've got all the latest video, sound, & motherboard (AGP) drivers. I have reinstalled many times, trying both my DVD and CD-R drive. I've turned the graphics down to minimum. Still no luck. Only one other poster (Typhoon) has posted a similar problem. Anyone have any ideas? Is there some sort of cutscene at the next level that's causing problems?

System Specs:

Athalon XP 1800+

512 DDR 333 ram (underclocked at 266)

C-Media CMI8738 MX Sound Chip (onboard my Iwill XP333 motherboard)

Radeon 7500 64MB DDR (All-In-Wonder model)

WinXP Home

Please Help, or Respond if you're suffering similar problems. I feel like I payed 50 bucks to play a demo.

Z

I am also experiencing random freezes. My comp freezed more often when I had volumetric shadows on, but since I switched to simple shadows it freezes just a little less frequently.

when it freezes I have to do a hard reboot because there is no response from my keyboard or mouse.

Also, when random freezes do occur, sometimes there is no remaining sound playing and sometimes there is a looping sound.

I hope this is a software issue so that a patch can fix it...

I play at 800x600 with everything else maxed except for texture detail and shadows.

Specs:

PIII 700

384 Mb Ram

10 Gb Maxtor HD

Creative Labs 3d Blaster Annil. GF2 Mx 32 Mb

Ess solo sound card

Asus motherboard

Edit: OS is Win 98 SE

I often freeze on ingame mp menus, especially when clicking on a server to highlight it so i can then join.

The freezing is accompanied by a short sound loop playing over and over. ctrl-alt-del does not work and the system has to be restarted.

The farthest i have gotten in mp is the force setup screen.

In sp i have played upto 3 min before crashing.

amd duron 600

win 98se

128 MB RAM

GF2 GTS 32 MB (hercules) driver=4.13.01.2311

vortex 2 driver= 4.06.2048

Direct X from the Jk2 disk

in game low sound quality and fastest settings

going to try so solutions posted on this board now, ty for the info

*********** EDIT UPDATE *********************

Turning off open gl extensions has improved the situation. I can now actually enter mp games. i have not yet tested extended stability though.

Semi similar here as well:

AMD XP 1700+ (running at 1900+)

Abit KR7A-Raid

512mb Crucial 2100 DDR

Abit GF3 Ti 200

Soundblaster Audidgy 'value'

IBM 120 GXP 40gb

Windows XP Home

I can play anywhere from 2 mins to 4 hours until it crashes, mostly randomly, but 1 or 2 repeatable. I did get through the repeatable ones by turning off all graphical detail.

I occasionally get an error message about 'reading from memory', before JK2 bombs to the desktop, which is reduced to something like 16 colours after the crash. I suspect it may be down to my Ram being overclocked (running 150 fsb at CAS 2...), but I have 100% stability in all other programs / games (Max Payne, RtCW, MoHAA, Diablo 2, Civ 3, as well as looping 3D Mark se 2001 overnight...).

I have all the latest drivers (27.xx Dets - I 99.99% sure these aren't to blame, I've never known a game to require you to switch BACK drivers to work properly...), the only driver I am missing is the newly released Via AGP mini driver.

I'm not expecting a magic cure, but maybe Raven can see a 'common' factor here and patch it?!

Cheers,

Matt

It freezes constantly with me also. I can't do anything, but reboot.

I have been talking to LucasArts customer service on the phone and email everyday since last Friday (when it came out) We have not resolved anything. I have all the lastest drivers as well.

Win XP Pro

P4 1.6

Gforce 3 64mb

SV Live!

512mb Rambus RAM

I am going to try the disableing the GL ext when I get home.

If that doesn't work, I may install a second HD with 98SE on it so I can run the game. Man, what a mess.

This was posted in another thread, can someone verify if it works... I'm not at my home computer at this time

"I found this solution on a noticeboard somewhere, so I must give credit to the guy who originally found this (Can remember his name though . Anyway.

My system kept locking up every 10mins, it would get stuck in a sound loop and crash. This could be avoided by turning off GL extension, but the game ran like an three legged dog.

My Specs:

1.8ghz Athlon

Abit KR7A

SB Audigy

Geforce TI200 (Latest NVidia Drivers)

XP

SOLUTION For XP:

1. Go to Program Files\Jedi Knight\Game Data\

2. Copy the file OpenAL32.dll (Sound card libraries)

3. Paste the file into C:\windows\system32\

This will replace the Old XP libraries with the new ones.

I have gone from freezing every 5 mins, to no freezing what so ever!

Cheerz

Ubamonkey"

I'll try this later to see if it works, but if someone in the meantime wants to try, please post results.

I tried the Openal.dll thing and it didn't work for me...

I'm just playing in short bursts before the next freeze now in SP.

Ravensoft, are you guys reading this thread? Is this freezing an issue that you can replicate, or even fix with a patch?

Here's hoping for a "yes" to the above questions...

i found this in the jk2config.

seta r_allowExtensions "1"

For those of you that freeze before being able to disable opengl extenions in the menus, maybe you could change it in the jk2config and/or the jk2mp.cfg and try start starting the game

seta r_allowExtensions "0"

not sure if this really goes with opengl extensions but it looks like a good candidate

My Specs:

Athlon 1.2ghz

Asus A7A266 Motherboard (With 2.74 AGP drivers for ALi Chipset)

Creative Labs GeForce 2 GTS

256mb PC2100 DDR RAM

Creative Labs SB Live! Value

I'm having this whole random freezing/stuttering sound problem as well. Like most of you guys, the game runs completely smoothly on 32bit/1024x768 with everything on, but the game just stops after awhile.

At first I thought it was a heat issue with my computer, and so I cleaned the whole thing out. The problem persisted.

I also thought it had something to do with my graphics card, because it would crash randomly in other games and deliver the same error (Happened in RTCW, MOHAA, Battle Realms, countless other games) but most of those problems went away after I installed the 2.74 AGP drivers for my motherboard's ALi chipset.

I can run Freedom Force without crashing (it only crashes after about 5 hours with continuous load/saving... but that's a memory-related bug.) and no other games give me any problems.

In my experiments, I noticed that the 28.31 drivers disabled AGP Texturing for my card and ran it in PCI mode. It was slow as hell but I didn't notice any crashes with JK2. Of course, it was unacceptible to run an AGP card in PCI setting so I got rid of those drivers and installed the 23.11 drivers (recommended by LucasArts).

Problems still remained.

Ran the game in 16bit mode just now and it crashed after about 21 minutes while I was watching Combat Missions. I disabled GL extentions but the game was too slow, so I don't know if it would have crashed or not (But a poster above has noted that it still crashed).

I even tried the suggestion on another post to copy the OpenAL32.dll file in the game directory to Windows/System32. No dice. Copied it into Windows/System as well. No such luck.

The game still crashes. It crashes even when I'm not doing anything, but mostly when I'm walking around and shooting things. Crashes in multiplayer, too, but the symptoms are the same. It's got nothing to do with the model reloading (Had that problem with MOHAA online but I've fixed that).

Any clues?

keep this thread alive...I have now stopped playing jk2, until theres a solution for this problem...it really pisses me off...I really hope some ravensoft guys will read this thread....

my specs...

athlon 1000

256 mb pc-133 ram

gf 3 ti-200

sb live!

win 2000 pro

I got all the newest drivers.....

Originally posted by Ttam legacy

Well, I think I fixed my problem. Not sure though. All I did was uninstall the 23.11 drivers and install the new 28.32 drivers. After I did the installation, I rebooted, entered the game and was able to play untill I wanted to be done. However, after I had quit Jedi Knight II, I decided to try multiplayer so I fired it up without rebooting after I had stopped playing the single player version. I froze up once during multiplayer. After that freeze, I rebooted the computer went back into multiplayer and it was fine. All in all it looks like the new drivers fixed the problem to a point

My bad luck is that Everquest does not work with the new nvidia drivers AT ALL and my freakin wife is an EQ junkie *sigh* so I had to put the old 23.11 drivers back on the system. :(

Yes, I did that too. It definitely works, but after a little checking I found out that the 28.32 drivers actually DISABLES your AGP Texturing (check your dxdiag.exe program) so the game and every other 3d game runs in PCI mode. That's really unacceptible, especially if you have a fast card and want to make the best of it. The game become really unplayable in multiplayer with lots of lightsabers if you play it in that setting.

I noticed that I was running it in PCI with those drivers when I checked the "driver infomation" or whatever it's called in the game. It said "GeForce 2 GTS/32mb/PCI" instead of AGP.

After about an hour of play, the game still crashed for me, even though I managed to play a lot longer than I had previously. So we still need to find a fix.

BBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

Same problem blah blah....

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast...$49.99

Beer for grandpa so he can get drunk, scream, and mumble at your computer after absolutely everything else fails to make it work...$9.89

The look on your wife's face when you run through the house after wasting your vacation trying to fix someone elses mistakes, screaming and punching holes in the wall as you realize you had the warez version but went out and bought the damn thing anyway because you are grasping on to your last shred of moral fiber only to be raped one more time by this selfish & greedy assbag of a planet...and it DOESN'T F**KING WORK ANYWAY.................priceless.

Patch please =)

Oh, ToiletDuck...this should fix your save loop/crash problem you are stuck in. Bring down the console, you can do it from the options screen even I think. Type in devmapall. After that type in map then a space then the name of the map you are on, or the next map if you want, that way you can restart the level or skip it.

Then you can go have fun and crash at one of the many other scenic locales 5 minutes later! Joy! Here is a list of all the maps:

1a - kejim_post

1b - kejim_base

2a - artus_mine

2b - artus_detention

2c - artus_topside

3a - yavin_courtyard

3b - yavin_trial

4a - ns_streets

4b - ns_hideout

4c - ns_starpad

5a - bespin_platform

5b - bespin_undercity

5c - bespin_streets

6a - cairn_bay

6b - cairn_assembly

6c - cairn_reactor

6d - cairn_dock1

7a - doom_comm

7b - doom_detention

7c - doom_shields

8a - yavin_swamp

8b - yavin_canyon

8c - yavin_temple

8d - yavin_final

I had terrible system crashes with this game under WinXP. System specs:

(Compaq 7110US upgraded with Visiontek GF3)

Athlon 1333

256MB DDR (PC2100)

VisionTek GF3

Creative SB PCI, 10/100 Ethernet, 56k modem

XP Home Edition

Detonator 21.83 drivers (which to this point had been flawless)

This game crashed so bad, WinXP refused to boot!

Updated the drivers to 28.32 and all is well.

Hope these drivers don't cause any of my other games to crash!

I finally think that i have solved my freezing problem...

I downgraded from nvidia driver ver. 27.50 to ver. 6.50 and no freezes. Look at my previous posts in this thread to see my specs.

Since I have a Creative GF2 MX card, I only used the drivers from the Creative web site...

I was able to play for about 30 to 40 min. and I was able to quit when I wanted to. I hope this information can help others.

The problem that most are having with freezing may be with the Quake III engine trying to deal with nvidia's latest drivers.

Archived