Home

freezing.

zombi3

Same thing here, random freezes with sound loops.

Sys specs:

AMD T-bird 1.3

Soundblaster LIVE!

GeForce 2 GTS/PRO 64MB DDR

DET drivers 23.11

512 MB SDRAM

WIN XP Pro

I never used regedit for anything so I guess the above post won't help me. I can get back to the desktop after it freezes but the gamma on the desktop is all out of whack untill I reboot. Hope they fix this soon.

:(

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost the same as Ttam legacy, except my freezes are regular.

Specs:

Athlon 1 gHz

256 RAM

Visiontek GeForce 3

Windows 98 SE

SoundBlaster Live Value

I purchased the game on thursday, installed it on my computer that was running DirectX 8.1 with the very latest Detonator drivers. Installed ok. Thing froze right after the opening crawl on max details, glextentions on. Had to reboot hard.

Tried again, max details, froze on Kyle and Jan in the ship, sound looped a second long snip, over and over and over. Hard reboot.

I get into the game and set everything to lowest detail, freezes with sound loop as I start the first level.

I check these forums, read that gl extentions might be a problem. I go back in, turn off gl extentions, freezes in the first few seconds of the first level with sound loop.

I get pissed off. I try again with Direct Sound off. No good, freezes with sound loop.

I disable Direct Draw Acceleration and launch. IT WORKS! I CAN PLAY AS LONG AS I WANT... at ONE FRAME PER SECOND! It took me five minutes to kill ONE stormie with Jan. I quit out (that takes two minutes.) And go to sleep.

Friday: I try multiplayer. I launch, select a Chiss skin (dang, but they look cool!) and jump in game I host. I quickly whip out the saber and swing it once! WHOA!! TWICE!! WOW!!! THR- it FREEZES!!!

I get upset.

I format the hard drive. This is what I do: I install Windows 98. I upgrade to Windows 98 SE. It wants display drivers so I put in the GF3 CD. It reboots a few times. I get a stable desktop so I uninstall the display drivers and run Detonator Destroyer and reboot. I install the 23.11 drivers. I download Winzip. I download soundcard drivers and install them. I download DirectX 8.0 and 8.1 but I do not install them. I put in the Jedi Outcast CD and install DirectX 8.0. I run Scandisk and Defrag. I reboot a few times for luck. I install JO and launch. I get the main menu- and it freezes right there. I remove the old display drivers and install the WHQL certified 21.83. Freezes in main menu with sound loop.

We are not alone in our problems.

Lucas Arts made good games! Then came the times of "Episode One Racer" and "Force Commander." Then the "Obi-Wan" debacle. Then they announced "Jedi Knight 2!" Oh, I had such hope! These problems MUST be addressed or LucasArts is going to loose at least one customer.

I'm getting the same damn freezing.

win2k

p4 1.7ghz

512mb ddram

geoforce 2 mx pro

sblive 5.1

game freezes almost everytime i go through a checkpoint, but also when loading and when doing a quick save. Have to reboot the box.

So as an experient i installed it on a:

p3 450mhz

win2k

768mb ram

3dfx voodoo3

sblive

It runs in the lowest video setting but I have absolutely no freezing whatsoever. None.

we need some answers!!

im having the same problem :(

I can play after I restart like 5 times. It plays for about 10-15 minutes, then crashes.

My system:

winXP Pro

512mb RAM

Tnt2 16mb (i know.. i know..)

Pentium III 933mhz

Built in sound

this is the ONLY game this happens to.. I even rolled back my drivers like 5 minutes.

Even Serious Sam (which is very OpenGL depended) doesnt crash, and runs very well.

I need a fix for this cause I just got my light saber! :)

btw, how do you turn off GL extenstions?

From the main menu, go to Setup and GL extentions should be second on the list, right under the quality presets (Custom, High, Highest, etc)

Update: I tried the 12.41 Detonators and was able to set up the graphics to lowest and start the game! I got all the way to the part where we are on the ground and Jan says "Shhh, I think-" and takes a step. Then it froze.

Well, I THINK I've manged to stop this error. I was fiddling around with my comp till 3 am and I finally was able to play for about an hour without it freezing. Heres what I did;

1) Got the latest nvidia drivers 2.8.3.2

2) Uninstalled 2.3.1.1

3) Installed 2.8.3.2

4) --->CHANGED MY DESKTOP VIDEO SETTINGS TO 800X600x16bit<------

5) Went into JK:2 and turned off gl extentions

6) Game works

7) Increase desktop res to 1024x768x32bit and do the same thing to JK:2, game works.....

8) I made sure all programs were shut down, even the minimized programs in the little area by the clock, I forget what its called.

I have yet to increase my resolution any more and keep JK:2 on the same 1024x768x32 bit and see if it still works.

Hope this helps everyone

Well, I think I fixed my problem. Not sure though. All I did was uninstall the 23.11 drivers and install the new 28.32 drivers. After I did the installation, I rebooted, entered the game and was able to play untill I wanted to be done. However, after I had quit Jedi Knight II, I decided to try multiplayer so I fired it up without rebooting after I had stopped playing the single player version. I froze up once during multiplayer. After that freeze, I rebooted the computer went back into multiplayer and it was fine. All in all it looks like the new drivers fixed the problem to a point

My bad luck is that Everquest does not work with the new nvidia drivers AT ALL and my freakin wife is an EQ junkie *sigh* so I had to put the old 23.11 drivers back on the system. :(

Well I got it to at least let me play a bit. Turned off GL Extensions and so far not really any major problems. Got to play from beginning to beginning of Yavin before it crashed, so guess that's a good start IHO I think Raven needs to make a patch, since i guess Raven is doing their tech support or however anyone else know this?

Invader

http://www.darklordofsith.net

after reading through this forum topic i'm begining to wonder if my freezing problem (described in detail under the topic "Technical nightmare") is really what i thought it was (motherboard/processor). According to all my specs, the game should run like a dream on my machine. But it not only does the random freezing, it does the "freeze, sound loop" right on game start-up in the menu (99% of the time), so i havn't even been able to play the game on my machine. Not only this, but games that worked great in the past such as Elite Force (same engine as JKII) and Unreal Tournament lock up now, too, in the menu along with the sound looping. Since the problem extends beyond JKII in my case, it might be a different issue while the symptoms remain the same on a much more severe level.

Regaurdless, games like this should not be released with these kinds difficulties. I would have much rather waited an extra month or two to get all the bugs of this game out so it's just an issue of installing and swinging a sabre until Kyle Katarn is blue in the face.

All I wanted was to kill a stormie... that's all.

I've also been having problems with the game locking up. It does seem to be a video card problem, and is really annoying.

Originally I thought my CPU was overheating (major stress attack), so finding out you guys have the same problem is a relief!

My System:

1.8ghz Athlon

512m DDRAM

Geforce 3 TI200

Abit KR7A+

I'm going to try running the desktop in 16 bit, and see if that makes any difference.

Notice;

If any of you are overclocked, it may also be to blame. I had my Athlon 1600 XP oc'd to 1.6 gigs and my Geforce 3 overclocked to 260 core/560 mem and I was freezing and erroring and ****. In fact, almost ANY amount of overclocking freezed Jedi Knight, like my AMD oc'd to 1.5 gigz or my gf3 clocked to 250/530. Its really weird...oh well

:atat: Believe people will find that just mixing up their Dets, turning off GL Extensions (for both single player AND multiplayer- yes, two different video configs- take a look), and turning Shadows to simple vice volumetric, will do a wonder of difference.

The game obviously has issues. A patch is needed because people shouldn't put $50 (US) down and then have to make changes to their entire system just to play it. This is the most work I have put towards any game in a long, long time.

But I am playing and it is a great game once over the initial crashes.

:atat: :atat: :atat:

I am almost sure the Soundblaster Live is the Problem.

After constant freezes and crashes I exchanged my SB Live Value with a noname ALS 4000 (even more crappier than the SB) soundcard. No more freezing and no crash since then. I guess I am now 2/3 trough the game without any problem.

My system:

Slot A Athlon 800 Mhz

TnT2

SB Live Value

(all driver updated)

Originally posted by Joruus

Multiplayer or Single Player freezing?

MP freezing occurs because the engine is set default to load all new player models on death.

This was something that I first ran into in the Q3Test demos and JO has an option to turn it off in the MORE VIDEO options.

With it on, every time you die you'll freeze up while the game updates any new model added to the game since you joined. With it off, I believe it loads these things as a sub process and while it might effect performance to some degree, I doubt highly you'll even notice it.

Now far as video lock ups in single player mode.

Check the jk2spconfig file. Do a search for the com_hunkmegs cvar, ensure you've set this value to 2/3rds of your system memory.

Generally when an Open GL game locks up to the point where you have to cold boot your computer, its associated with your video drivers.

If your using a Geforce based card, I'd recommend getting the Nvidia reference drivers, as they can offer more stability than the ones your gfx card came with. You can get those drivers from http://www.nvidia.com

I've noticed that the read me in JK2 recommends using DX8.0 and Nvidia's 23.11 reference driver set. DX won't generally cause compatibility issues if your using 8.1. But graphics drivers can. So if you continue to have problems, get the 23.11 reference drivers and try them. Remember to always reinstall Direct X after changing your gfx drivers.

And if anything, uninstall, reinstall gfx drivers and direct x, then reinstall JK2. That should be your last option. But sometimes it can work.

I can not even find the jk2spconfig file?

I posted in another thread about this issue, and I was convinced it was related to my SB Audigy.

I've only had one BSOD related to Nvidia, all other crashes have been reduced (But not eliminated) by reducing the sound acceleration level. They are still wayy to frequent though.

XP seems to be a common theme as well

My details:

XP Pro

1.2@1.3 Athlon

768 MB RAM

Creative Geforce 2 GTS (23.10 drivers)

Soundblaster Audigy (Latest drivers)

Epox Ktah3 Motherboard

Latest Via 4in1, as well as latest Mobo bios update.

Same random freezes and looping sound thingy happening in my single and multi-player games too.

I have tried almost all ingame configurations and it still seems to randomly freeze up while playing.

I have noticed that sometimes when it freezes and I do a CTL-ALT-DEL to bring up the task manager window, and then close it without shutting down JK2, it will revive. But most of the time I have to exit JK2 into windows and restart.

WILL RAVEN LOOK INTO THIS ISSUE, BECAUSE THE GAME IS CURRENTLY UNPLAYABLE. Not only to me but apparently to many who have posted to this thread.

my computer...

NVidia Geforce 2 mx400 (64mb ram)

Athlon 900 mhz

256 mb of pc133 ram

Windows XP professional

Sound Blaster Live Value

I have the same problem. JK2 seems to freeze up randomly, sometimes i can play for about 30mins but other times i can play for about 2 mins.

My comp is:

Athlon Xp 1500

Geforce3 Ti200

1024 Ram

Is there a fix for this!?

Can a moderator make this thread sticky please ????????

(Although now it seems fixed for me, disabling GL extenstions, at a slight performance cost, lowering sound acceleration 1 notch and turning on s_useopenal in the console, I haven't had a crash all evening, and I've now got 3d sound to boot)

Try switching off GL extentions and setting shadows to simple or none, it worked for me.

I extended my playing time from 10 minutes to 2 Hours.

My System:

P4 2.0A, TH7-II Raid Bios version as bought, 512MB RDRAM, 60GB Maxtor Hard disc, PCI 128 sound card, Sparkle GF4400 128MB video card, 12xDVD Win98SE. DX8.0a.

(Got IDENTICAL problems on my GF2 Pro when I tried that etc.)

Hopefully Raven will have a look at this for us?

Lazzz

Additional info: 5:22 am 04 04 02.....

Hey I have just come off playing for 3 hours after loading on the 27.70 nVidia drivers in place of the 27.00 ones that came with the card and did'nt crash at all after switching the GL Extentions back on.

The GL Extentions smooth up the frame rate but I have still left the volumetric shadows and anisotropic filtering off (Everything else is set on full)

Hope this helps someone.

Lazzz (Again)

When I first got the game I locked up about 99% of the time before I got to the title screen, I tried most of the solutions given on this board, I even swapped in an older nvidia card, to no avail. In the end what fixed it completely was swapping out the RAM on my motherboard.

Until now everygame I had ran perfectly with the RAM I had, only Jedi Knight was problem, might be something in its code that locks up when it encounters bad memory? who knows. So if you're desparate, try it, RAM is pretty cheap nowadays.

specs:

933mhz pIII, 512mb pc133

nvidia geForce4 4600

SoundBlaster Live 5.1

Archived