freezing.

zombi3

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that jk2 freezing is a graphic or sound card problem

I reformated two times my hard drive

(jk2 simply destroyed my system files)

I changed three times the graphic driver (23.11; 27.42; 28.32)

I completly disabled my sound acceleration (with dxdiag)

I also turned off GL extensions, put sound quality at low, and played with 16 bits texture and display

It seemed to solve the problem a while but then freezing started

again...

I have Win XP and I think the problem is there

I will now intall Win98 and see if it helps

dont bother...im running win98 and my **** steady crashes.

i get to play for about 5 - 10 min if im lucky then i get the freeze and that horrible sound loop.most of the time i barely get off the main menu before it happens.

win 98se

amd t-bird 1.4

soundblaster 512

geforce 3 ti 200

7200 40 gig hd

48x cd rom

rr cable

when i first installed the game it worked fine,for about 3 days.

i played for hours on multiplayer w/no problems.then the crashes started.

i have since reformatted my hd and did a clean install of windows 98se.Installed all the most recent drivers(23.11 for my geforce)

for my hardware.I reinstalled JO ,rebooted and started the game.......crash,freeze,soundloop.......:mad: getting tired of messing with it.

come on tech support..surely you have seen this problem....help us.

Well...

Glad I looked here...

My system...

P4 1.9Ghz

512 DDR RAM

Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 (64MB)

SB Live 5.1

Win 2K

Considering the system I have the first thing I do with any game is max out all the graphics settings. Ooops... Major Problems here...

At first I was experiencing a shearing effect where it appeared that the top half of the screen was briefly lagging behing the bottom; nice...

I tried every graphics setting with the exception of turning GL extentions off and/or setting my desktop colors to 16-bit; will try this tonight...

I was able to play in the game's safe mode, but the game locked hard when I hit the use key (ctrl)...

I have DirectX 8.1 and the latest drivers for my video board...

I uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled the game and was able to play on the crap default graphics settings for maybe 4 minutes then hit the use key and bam... hard lockup; no keyboard action at all; hard boot required...

I will try the other setting (GL off and 16-bit), but that is quite frankly BS...

LucasArts, no response to my support e-mail yet, should be ashamed. I have heard that this game is the pills if you can actually play, but all this crap should be unneccessary. My machine is a rocket ship and I have a supported video card. This should run pissa with all the settings maxed...

Very frustrated... Very annoyed...

Good thing I have an Xbox; need more games though...

nuff said...

You know, I noticed something, and also from the FAQs, the guy who wrote it says that JK2 can overheat your graphics card. And reading from other users' posts here, about MOHAA and RTCW crashing after JK2 crashes leads me to believe that JK2 is shorting out the graphics card, so these other games crash along with it unless you leave your computer off for a day to cool down.

It's one of the things I really noticed with this game. If I just booted up my computer after a cold night, it'll run fine for 15 minutes to even an hour, but if I've just completed a session of some other game or left my computer running for awhile it'll just **** up in 2 seconds.

I don't know why JK2 is the only game which does this.

I've had MOHAA **** up a couple of times the same way JK2 does, but it only happens often in multiplayer but very seldom does it ever happen in single player. Not so with JK2, because it happens all the time whether SP or MP.

Doesn't happen at all with RTCW, though, which is odd, because they all share the same engine.

Yes, add me to the list as well... I'm getting the "no-message-high-gamma-drop-to-desktop" crash.

Specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 800

Asus K7M

Asus V6600 Deluxe (GF 256)

SBLive! 5.1 <- Likely culprit...

384megs RAM

etc..

Running on Windows XP Pro. And no, I don't think that the OS has anything to do with it. XP is DAMN stable with just about everything else.

First of all, I must say that not everyone is having the same crashing problem....so for this post I will be referring to the FREEZE/SOUND LOOP crash

I think it must be noted that there is NO USE IN POSTING SYSTEM SPECS....if you've noticed, everyone is running on completely different systems. Noone experiencing the crashes has a common hardware...

Software on the other hand...Think about this.

Common Software:

DirectX

Windows

JO

Now.....anyone here who's played Half-Life: Counter-Strike (prolly the other mods too) Has either experienced or heard of the Freeze/Sound Loop crash. HL and JO are running on two completely different engines. Meaning that the culprit MUST be Microsoft...either Windows or DX. I myself have experienced the freeze/sound loop on BOTH HL and JO....they are exactly the same crash.....

I'm also experiencing another crash....for no appearant reason it crashes and restarts my computer......prior to doing this I get a message in the upper-left corner complaining about shaders or something...then boom, black screen, and my comp goes thru restart.

I think someone should ask Micorsoft about the freeze/sound loop...I'm fairly certain it has something to do with them. As for the other crashes...I dunno. I've never used the Quake Engine before....

Specs: Athlon XP 1700, Abit KR7A-RAID, 256MB PC2400 DDR, ATI Radeon 8500, Windows XP Pro, SoundBlaster Audigy.

Problem: After getting on the tram thing to go to detention facility, it would lock my computer hard when the progress bar got all the way to the right for loading the detention center (i had to pysically disconnect power from my computer to get it to boot again, just using the reset or power button would reset the computer, but it would not boot).

Solution: Well fellas, I just went through all my BIOS settings one by one, and got to AGP Aperture. The default for my system was 64MB. I changed it to 128MB, and the problem I was having went away.

Jason

I am having the same problem with the crash to desktop/gamma fiasco as well as RTCW also crashing and Microsoft Flight Simulator crashing as well after I installed JO. What I did was re-install SP2for Windows 2000 along with the DirectX dirvers and am able to play all the games for at least 30 min constantly (which is all the time I have so far). I don't know if that will fix the problem, but I have a gut feeling that JO is doing something the the process memory which would cause the game(s) to crash. I say this because my log files and error messages both say this and after I did the re-installation of SP2, they went away. I don't know if that is the sole problem or that JO is doing something else to the system whereby making the OS unstalble to the other games. Again, I have only tested for 30 mins, so if anyone else can confirm this for me that would be spectacular.

Another experiment that someone could do is to either re-install SP2 for Windows 2000 or re-install the OS completely (Win9X, Win2k, WinXP) and just install the games that you regularly play (i.e. RTCW, MOHAA), but DO NOT INSTALL JO. See if your games run. If they do, then install JO and see if they crash. This will at least eliminate the possiblity of JO doing something to the system and will help narrow the range of possibilites.

There are a wide variety of systems as well as crashes so there HAS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM!!!!!!!!! If not one, then a couple of problems. Especially if most of us are getting similar crashes.

Oh yeah, about the post with the AGP Aperature, I also ran throught my BIOS after updating it and changed it from 32MB --> 256MB. This also solved the freezing problem for the moment. For those of you who do not know what AGP Aperature is, it is the amount of RAM dedicated to your AGP card in addition to the amount of RAM on your video card. It is known to cause problems in games like low fps or even possibly lock-ups. The minimum setting should be 64MB, but the optimal setting is usually 1/2 the total RAM available. Thus, if you have 256MB of RAM then the AGP Aperature should be set to 128MB. Some have even been able to get by with 1/4 the amount of RAM, but use 1/2 just to be on the safe side. This may help some of you, and may not help others. But, at least it is an idea! Thanks luckyj for reminding me about this. You're cool (my name is Jason too!)

Page five repost...

These people have the described freeze / sound loop:

zombi3

p3, 933mhz

512mb ram

geforce2 ultra 64mb

xp pro

Jedimaster74

Win XP Pro

latest drivers from Nvidias Site

Geforce3 TI200

1.4Ghz System

Mormegil

Athlon 1.1

Geforce 3 Ti200

Windows XP Home

256MB Ram

SB 128

fixed by reversing overclocking

BobaBot[dD]

AMD XP 1050 mHz

512 DDR Ram

Radeon VE DDR w/ 64M Ram

TFlea

Athlon 1.2 ghz

512 mb ram

Radeon 64mb DDR Vivo (latest drivers)

Soundblaster Live! (latest drivers)

Win XP

Doppler

AMD 1.333 @ 1.5

768mb Crucial PC133

Geforce 2 Ultra (27.42)

SB Live XGamer

IBM Deskstar 60GXP

Dx8.1

VIA 4in1 4.38

Windows XP Home

later fixed by changing GL Extensions

SnowHeart

latest drivers (Nvidia and Creative Arts Audigy)

Athlon 1.4 on an Asus board

256 meg PC2100 DDR

VisionTek GeForce 3

Audigy Gamer

Windows ME

Victim

Windows XP Pro

GeForce 3 Ti 500

SB Live

dlosnet

Athlon 950 @ 1045

512 MB Ram

ATI Rage Pro 128

McDeth

Windows XP Pro

AMD Athlon 1600 XP @ 1.6 gigz

Geforce 3 ti500

sblive 5.1 xgamer

389 mb ram

later fixed

Ttam legacy

AMD T-bird 1.3

Soundblaster LIVE!

GeForce 2 GTS/PRO 64MB DDR

DET drivers 23.11

512 MB SDRAM

WIN XP Pro

swippiho

win2k

p4 1.7ghz

512mb ddram

geoforce 2 mx pro

sblive 5.1

works on following computer

p3 450mhz

win2k

768mb ram

3dfx voodoo3

sblive

Oblivion

winXP Pro

512mb RAM

Tnt2 16mb

Pentium III 933mhz

Built in sound

can play for 10-15 minutes, then crash

ubamonkey

1.8ghz Athlon

512m DDRAM

Geforce 3 TI200

Abit KR7A+

Buckermann

Slot A Athlon 800 Mhz

TnT2

SB Live Value

(all driver updated)

gro

XP Pro

1.2@1.3 Athlon

768 MB RAM

Creative Geforce 2 GTS (23.10 drivers)

Soundblaster Audigy (Latest drivers)

Epox Ktah3 Motherboard

Latest Via 4in1, as well as latest Mobo bios update.

HolySmiter

NVidia Geforce 2 mx400 (64mb ram)

Athlon 900 mhz

256 mb of pc133 ram

Windows XP professional

Sound Blaster Live Value

Emptea

Athlon Xp 1500

Geforce3 Ti200

1024 Ram

Windows Xp and has sound blaster live card

panikinanakin

PIII 700

384 Mb Ram

10 Gb Maxtor HD

Creative Labs 3d Blaster Annil. GF2 Mx 32 Mb

Ess solo sound card

Asus motherboard

OS is Win 98 SE

nVidia driver 27.50 (from Creative's website)

6.50 from Creative's website allows 2.5 - 3 hrs of gameplay

TavanZafca

Win XP Pro

P4 1.6

Gforce 3 64mb

SV Live!

512mb Rambus RAM

Exitium

Athlon 1.2ghz

Asus A7A266 Motherboard (With 2.74 AGP drivers for ALi Chipset)

Creative Labs GeForce 2 GTS

256mb PC2100 DDR RAM

Creative Labs SB Live! Value

Windows XP Professional

tried the drivers 23.12 (WHQL), 23.11 and 28.32

white_lancer

Athlon 1 gHz

256 SDRAM

Visontek GeForce 3

Soundblaster Live! Value

Windows 98 Second Edition

(tried five driver sets including 23.11 and 28.32)

DirectX 8.0 and 8.1

game DOES work on:

Athlon 1.1 gHz

256 SDRAM

GeForce 2 MX

Soundblaster Live! Value

Windows 98 Second Edition

Detonator 28.32

DirectX 8.0

Demolisher

Athlon XP 1.6 Ghz

64 Mb NVidia GeForce 2 MX with 23.11 Detonators

256 Mb RAM

61 Gb harddrive

Windows 98 SE

DirectX 8.1

Drakii

Athlon 700

384M Ram

SD11 MoBo

Radeon 8500 Retail

Avernus

Athlon 650

192MB SDRAM

Hercules Prophet DVI/DDR (GeForce 256 w 32MB)

SB Live Value

Windows ME

DirectX 8.1

Various Video drvs(including the recommended 23.11)

Differing errors:

1-jk2sp.exe error msg crash to desktop with gamma

2-crashes to desktop with no error msg

3-total freezes requiring cold reboot-in menus, sp, and mp

4-freezes with sound loop in menus, sp, and mp

ubernerd

athlon 1.2ghz

512 MB PC2100 RAM

radeon 8500 w/6052 drivers

soundblaster live 5.1

winxp pro

JediDrew

PIII 733

256 MB Ram

SB Audiggy

Radeon 64 DDR

Phenoman

athlon 1000

256 mb pc-133 ram

msi geforce3 ti-200 (detonator 28.32)

sounblaster live! (newest driver)

20 gb ibm harddisk

win 2000 pro

Lemmy

Athlon 1 gHz

256 RAM

GeForce2 MX 200

SB-128

Win98SE

Newest Detonator Drivers

jasho

AMD 1Ghz

1.2GB RAM

ASUS A7V

ASUS v8200 GeForce3 Ti500

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

DirectX 8.1

VIA 4.38

nVidia Detonator 28.32

Windows 2000 SP2

mr_mcdylan

Athlon 900

ATI Rage Fury Pro (32mb)

VIA sound card (on motherboard)

320 mb Ram

Win 98 SE

DirectX 8.1

all updated drivers

cwood60

AMD 1.4 ghz

256 DDR Ram

Nvida GeForce 2 MX-100/200

Windows 98 SE

Avance? '97 Sound Card

will work on...

PIII 550mhz

256 Ram

Matrox Millenium 16mb ram (NO 3D ACCELRATOR)

Crystal Sound

pbdrummer

p2 350

320 mb ram

geforce2 32 megs

Creative AudioPCI sound

updated drivers, everything; even tried with older drives

Morgon

p2 400

128 RAM

Voodoo 2

Win 98

9 gb hd

drakken_k

ATHLON 1900XP

abit KR7A-RAID

HDD in RAID 0

430 W PSU (enermax)

scsi tekram DC310

3com nic

RADEON 8500 (all drivers)

FORTISSIMO (last drv)

win2000 sp2

last 4-in 1

same crash with GFORCE 2 GTS (all drivers) and SBlive

crash as well on WinXP

still crash with no sound, no network and no scsci

sammy

Hercules Game theater Xp

ECS K7S5A (sis 735 chipset)

AMD 1500XP

nvidia gforce2 GTS

256 SDR ram

Herculer game theater Xp sound card

Win XP

DaveSauce

AMD T-Bird 1.0 gig

Asus A7A266 mobo (ALi chipset)

512mb PC133 SDRAM

Gainward Geforce3 w/23.11 drivers

jasho

Intel PII 300MHz

512MB RAM

ASUS P2L97

VisionTek GeForce3 Ti200

Windows 2000 SP2

Creative Soundblaster Live! X-Gamer

DirectX 8.1

nexus_mike

3D Blaster Geforce 4 MX440 (28. detonator drivers)

Direct X 8.1

SB Awe64 Gold

nikkyo

Athlon 600Mhz

192 Mb RAM

Matrox G400Max (32megs)

Sblive!

Chacal

PIII 866 overclocked to 1 ghz.

512 RAM

GeForce 2 GTS

Soundblaster Live!

Win 98 SE

now fixed

could play multiplayer but not singleplayer

downloaded the 28.11 (he thinks) drivers for the GeForce then un-overclocked his processor

Fatal-x

win 98se

amd t-bird 1.4

soundblaster 512

geforce 3 ti 200

7200 40 gig hd

48x cd rom

jereboa

P4 1.9Ghz

512 DDR RAM

Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 (64MB)

SB Live 5.1

Win 2K

DirectX 8.1

latest drivers for video board

Vertig0

AMD Athlon 800

Asus K7M

Asus V6600 Deluxe (GF 256)

SBLive! 5.1

384 megs RAM

Windows XP Pro

porque

P4 1600 mhz

256 Ram

Geforce 3 ti 200

Windows XP

achillies775

NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200

Creative PC-DVD Encore Dxr3

DirectX 8

Windows 98 A 4.10.2222

1533 MHz AuthenticAMD AMD Model 6, Step 2

511 MB RAM

Current number of people who have returned the game in frustration: 1

- - - - - - -

NB: If anyone has updated information about their system or problems, please post and help the rest of us!

[Edit: updated Mormegil; added porque, achillies775]

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread!

ps: Sorry, Mormegil. Error rectified.

White Lancer - you forgot to add that my freezing problem is now fixed :)

Has anyone else tried using Creative provided drivers for XP for their Soundblaster Live/128/Audigy etc? Like I said, it was one of the last things I tried before it started to work.

I also defragged my hd, and increased the page file size. But I doubt that helped much. Before I was freezing about every 5 min. Now I can play SP at 1600x1280 and I usually keep MP to 800x600 to make sure it stays fast. I even have my GF3 Ti200 now overclocked to 220/500 and have had no lock ups. Using 2.3.11. Keep working it at!

Well I have owned this game a bit over a week now and have played collectivley for about 40 minutes. Each segment lasting about 2-3 minutes with frantic quicksaves behing hit every time I killed an enemy or took 3 solid steps in any direction for fear of the impending danger of the almighty crash... screw Vader... screw the darkside... fear the CRASH ! and I tell you... the crash is strong in this one.

Does this sound like the kind of entertainment anyone wants to pay HARD EARNED MONEY FOR ?

I sent an email to LA tech support the day of this steaming piles installation onto my machine. I gave them DX reports.... and entire system specs... that pretty much tells you everything about my machine plus what I wipes me arse with... I didn't get a reply. Not even a "Thank you, we have received your request for support... please remain being facked until one of our tech support agents contacts you." Nothing... You would think with all the money floating around a place like that, they could hire one or two people to make sure that everyone keeps their heads out of their arses.

Ahhh if only a developer could be held accountable. Maybe then they would actually BETA a product instead of letting us run the maze or be the guinea pigs. Why is it that I have spent countless hours tweaking and reconfiguring my system to accomodate a game that clearly was not tested. Hell... with 3DFX out of the picture they even had one less set of video cards to TEST... Lazy or stupid? Thats the million dollar question.

Maybe a class action law suit against a game developer and "parties involved" would bring some heads around... Why is it that this is the only industry where you can buy a product, have it not work at all, and then not be able to get a refund? When you buy a car... you expect it to run... When you buy a washing machine you expect it to wash clothes... When you buy a pack of gum you expect to be able to chew it... When you buy a T-shirt you expect to be able to wear it... But gee... lets see here ... Lets buy a car that looks good sittin in the driveway while we ride the bus to work... Lets buy a washing machine that eats clothes... lets buy the pack of gum that could be used to chock tires on a semi... Or maybe you prefer a T-shirt with all the holes sewn up? SO WHY THE HELL ARE WE ALL EXPECTED TO BUY GAMES WE CAN'T PLAY ?? ? ? ?

Frankly I am sick of seeing developers sit back and wait for the consumer to discover the problems... find the solutions... and then post them in a forum with the hopes of saving everyone else the headache... Then the developer builds a patch based on the discoveries of some guy who isn't on the payroll. I mean it's not like there are a few isolated problems coming from some hoser busting out his 166mhz 16 meg ram and wondering why he can't get the game to start. We are talking THOUSANDS of people who have paid $50 to play a game. Hell they at least have $175k just from the guys with the problems.... Sure would be nice if we had a game to play for our money.

The truly sad part is how much of loved this entire series... I Just had to have JKII... now it's up on the shelf soaking up rads from my monitor and dust from the air. Hell the tiny little box isn't even good for composting like so many other titles....

I get the same lockup and sound looping crap that everyone else gets... On top of that I can't seem to play C&C Renegade anymore since I installed this heap. I havn't checked any other 3D based games... but 2D works fine...

Good luck to all you folks out there who just want to sit back and enjoy a game but can't because of slack in industry standards.

Sincerely,

Chris

In case anyone wants to know here are my specs...

----System Summary--------------------------------------

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200

Video Driver : nvdisp.drv

Driver Version : 4.13.01.2832

Sound Card : Creative PC-DVD Encore Dxr3

Sound Driver : ctenc2.vxd

Driver Version : 2.00.00.0001

DirectX : DirectX 8

Operating System Windows 98 A 4.10.2222

----System Output---------------------------------------

Computer Name : frankenbot

BIOS Info

Name : Award

Version : Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

PNP :

Manufacturer : (Standard system devices)

CPU Info

CPU Count : 1

CPU Type : 1533 MHz AuthenticAMD AMD Model 6, Step 2

6 6 2

RAM : 511 MB Total

311 MB Free

Virtual RAM : 512 MB Total

512 MB Free

Operating System : Windows 98 A 4.10.2222

Default Browser : Netscape

Version : 4.79.0.87

Temp Directory : C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\

Size : 941 MB

------------------------------------------------------------

----Display Info--------------------------------------------

Number of Displays : 1

Current Mode (Primary) : 1152x864 16

Refresh Rate (Primary) : 85hz

Primary display device

Description : NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200

Manufacturer : NVIDIA

Video Memory : 128 MB

Main Driver : nvdisp.drv

Version : 4.13.01.2832

Provider : NVIDIA

Supported Display Modes

| 16 | 256 | 16 bits| 24 bits| 32 bits

---------------------------------------------------

640 x 480| * | * | * | | *

800 x 600| | * | * | | *

1024x 768| | * | * | | *

1152x 864| | * | * | | *

1280x1024| | * | * | | *

1600x1200| | * | * | | *

----Sound, Video and Game Controllers-----------------------

Description : Creative PC-DVD Encore Dxr3

Manufacturer : Creative Labs

Main Driver : ctenc2.vxd

Version : 2.00.00.0001

Provider : Creative Labs

Description : Creative SB Audigy

Manufacturer : Creative Technology, Ltd.

Main Driver : emu10kx.vxd

Version : 4.12.01.0125

Provider : Creative Technology, Ltd.

Description : Creative Audigy Gameport

Main Driver : emu10kx.vxd

Version : 4.12.01.0125

Description : Creative Joystick Emulation

Main Driver : vjoyd.vxd

Version : 4.08.01.0881

----Direct X------------------------------------------------

DirectX Info

Version : DirectX 8

DirectDraw Info

Certified : Not certified

DirectSound Info

Certified : Not certified

DirectPlay Info

Version : 4.03.00.1096

DirectInput Info

----Drive Information---------------------------------------

----CDRom Info----------------------------------------------

Cache size : 1238 KB

Access Pattern : Quad-speed or higher

Drive Letter A

Volume Name :

Type : Floppy

File System :

Total Space : 0.00 KB

Free Space : 0.00 KB

Drive Letter C

Volume Name : OS

Type : Fixed

File System : FAT32

Total Space : 3.72 GB

Free Space : 588.90 MB

Drive Letter D

Volume Name : GAMES

Total Space : 9.77 GB

Free Space : 1.21 GB

Drive Letter E

Volume Name : MORE GAMES

Total Space : 9.77 GB

Free Space : 810.18 MB

Drive Letter F

Volume Name : NET DRIVE

Total Space : 1.86 GB

Free Space : 528.98 MB

Drive Letter G

Volume Name : CREATION

Total Space : 30.77 GB

Free Space : 11.41 GB

Drive Letter H

Volume Name :

Total Space : 9.44 GB

Free Space : 2.85 GB

Drive Letter I

Volume Name :

Total Space : 9.44 GB

Free Space : 3.53 GB

Drive Letter J

Volume Name :

Total Space : 9.71 GB

Free Space : 1.86 GB

Drive Letter K

Volume Name :

Type : Floppy

File System :

Total Space : 0.00 KB

Drive Letter P

Volume Name : JEDIOUTCAST

Type : CDRom

File System : CDFS

Total Space : 633.53 MB

Sec/MB : Test not performed

Detected Speed : Test not performed

Drive Letter Q

Volume Name : Renegade Data

Type : CDRom

File System : CDFS

Total Space : 558.00 MB

Sec/MB : Test not performed

Detected Speed : Test not performed

----Monitor Information-------------------------------------

Primary monitor

Description : Korea Data Systems Avitron AV-195TF

Manufacturer : Korea Data Systems co., Ltd

Max. Resolution : 1920x1440

----Network Information-------------------------------------

Description : Unibrain 1394 FireNet Adapter

Manufacturer : Unibrain

Driver : ubfwnet.sys

Provider : Unibrain

Bound Protocols

TCP/IP

IP Address: Obtained from provider

IP Mask: Obtained from provider

Description : Dial-Up Adapter

Manufacturer : Microsoft

Driver : pppmac.vxd

Provider : Microsoft

Bound Protocols

TCP/IP

IP Address: Obtained from provider

IP Mask: Obtained from provider

Description : Kingston EtheRx PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter (KNE110TX)

Manufacturer : Kingston Technology

Driver : KTC110N3.sys

Provider : Microsoft

Bound Protocols

TCP/IP

----Input Device Information--------------------------------

Mouse Information

Description : HID-compliant Wheel Mouse

Type :

Keyboard Information

Description : IBM enhanced (101- or 102-key)

----Modem Information---------------------------------------

Description :

Driver :

Provider :

----Glide/OpenGL Information--------------------------------

Glide Info

Glide2 Version :

Glide3 Version :

OpenGL Info

Version : 4.0

My SBLive drivers are up to date, they're non-LiveWare too. AGP Aperture size is at 128mb.

Would be nice if someone could check out to see if JO is messing up other games along with it. I don't want to do that right about now.

Oh holy ****cakes.

I just checked the drivers on the SBLive site and it seems they've got a newer version out than the one I'm using. I got that the one that I currently have the week those drivers came out for WindowsXP in October last year.

As it turns out, there's newer drivers (Second Revision) which were released on November 29th or 2001. I'm currently downloading them now and I'm praying that they make JK2 work on my system.

I certainly hope it fixes the problem and I urge the rest of you guys to make sure you have the right SB Live! drivers. Don't get the ones from WindowsUpdate. If you've downloaded your drivers in October you'd best be getting the Second Revision and see what that does for you.

If it works or does not work, I'll return to post to tell the results.

Well, after reading all the new posts I checked my AGP app setting and it was set to 64. I have 512 MB SDRAM so I upped it to 256. Going to try JO and see what happens. I'll report back here later with my findings.

Well, changing the AGP app setting didn't do jack for me. Played for 10 min then freeze+soundloop. *sigh* Oh well.

Hmmm...I'm starting to run out of ideas now ;) The only other thing I can think of is to make sure all drivers are updated, the BIOS is updated, and that the virtual memory is set correctly. The recommended settings for the virtual memory should be 1.5 times the total amount of RAM. Of course, if you have butt-loads of RAM (more than 1GB), then you really don't need any. Some people in another thread for another game suggested that if the total amount of RAM is less than 640MB, set the amount of virtual memory to equal 640MB total (including physical RAM and virtual memory). Again, this is just an idea and has worked for some, but not others. Good luck and please post fiindings.

If these don't work, then RAVEN needs to definately release a patch because the problem may be out of our hands.

P.S. Has anyone else had problems with other games?

This is the official email I got from tech support regarding this problem, you can try anything in here if you haven't already. But I just reformatted my hard drive and still get the same crash. Tried it on friends systems under other OS and still, same thing....where is the patch!?

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

There is an application available online which allows players to play

without the game CD in the drive. This CD hack program has been known to

cause problems with the game. If you are using this program, please

discontinue using it and uninstall and reinstall the game (perhaps to a new

directory location) to see if this resolves the problem.

What was the directory that you installed the game to? Please uninstall and

then reinstall the game to the default directory on the system (C:\Program

Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast) to see if this resolves the

problem. If there is no room on the C: drive please make sure that a

directory is listed for installation so that the game does not try to

install to the root directory of a drive. (e.g. install to "d:\JK2" not just

"d:\", etc.).

Also, go to http://Http://www.nvidia.com and go to their Driver Archive Section -

Obtain the 23.11 driver and see if this helps out. It's older than what you

have (previous driver actually) but was tested with the game. After doing

so, uninstall/reinstall the game and see what takes place when you enter

into the game.

Programs running in the system tray can sometimes cause conflicts with

DirectX games. These programs can also take up system resources which may

need to be freed up for the application to run smoothly. The system tray

runs on the side of the taskbar (the bar with the "START" button). These

icons are programs that are running on your system, some of them loading at

start up. Some of these programs can be shut down by right-clicking on the

icon, and choose to Exit, Close, Suspend or Disable the program/utility. In

Windows 95/98/Me these applications can also be shut down by pressing

CTRL+ALT+DEL, highlight the program you want to close, and click on End

Task. Do not End Task on Systray and Explorer, but you should try closing

any other applications here before you launch the game to see if this

resolves any problems you're having with the game.

Try selecting 'Low' Sound Quality on the Setup > Sound menu in the game.

Go to the Setup > More Video menu in the game, and set the Shadows option to

Simple or None.

Go to the Setup > Video menu in the game, and set GL Extensions to Off.

Finally, go to the Setup > Video menu in the game again, and set the Video

Quality option to Fastest.

If the performance of the game is good with the Video Quality option in-game

set to Fastest, you might try slowly bumping up the individual video

settings, one at a time, until you have the best quality display while

maintaining good performance. You can first try switching the resolution to

800x600 or 1024x768. Also try setting 32 bit Texture Quality and 32 bit

Color Depth. And lastly, try bumping up the Geometric Detail and Texture

Detail settings to Medium and then High, one at a time.

We'd like to verify if any devices on your system are sharing the same IRQ

(Interrupt Request) which might help us further diagnose the problem for

you. In order to do this, the following information will assist you in

passing this information on to us:

1. Click on the Windows Start Menu and choose Run

2. In the Open Field, please type in MSINFO32 and click on OK

3. Next, click on the + next to Hardware Resources under System Summary on

the left-hand side within the MSINFO32 Utility.

4. Select the IRQ listing which should then show you a list of all available

IRQ's on your system in the Window on the right-hand side.

Once you've done this, please ***copy/paste this info into your next e-mail

response to us for further analysis.

*** To copy/paste, you'll want to hold down the left mouse button and

highlight the information. After the information is highlighted, right-click

using the right mouse button and select COPY. In the message body (your next

response to us), right-click again using the right mouse button and select

PASTE.

Jason / LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC

Here's a question for you... Do get these crashes in single-player, multi-player, or both? So far, I've only gotten crashes to desktop with gamma in single player ONLY. No matter what my settings are in multi-player, it does NOT crash. Well, at least *very* rarely, whereas sometimes I can only pull a 5 minute game in single-player.

The few times I've played multiplayer it didn't crash, I only played for 5 minutes or so though. I was looking forward more to the single player. Regardless, other people are having this crash with multiplayer too from reading this thread, and Im sure if I played long enough it would crash. I was hoping the tech response would be something like "we are aware of the problem and are working hard to fix it, expect a patch soon."

But of course it was the same general tech email you would get from anywhere telling me to do things I would have obviously tried already. Too bad the store I got it from will only give me another copy of it, it will be a great game when they finish it.

Archived