Home

Negative Comments

djshorty

I've just read GeekGirls review which claims Jedi Outcast is way too hard, and some of it is redundant to the point of frustration.

I haven't played the game yet (after school, I go mach 10 to EB), so anyone here who's finished the game have similar/opposing views?

I thought maybe the GeekGirls were just....without balls? =)

the game is good. at some points in the game i was wishing for health, caause i'd have under 20 and i'd have to clear out a room of enemies. i don't feel that it is hard, just gives them a chance, instead of you beating the game easy everytime.

Having played through the game, I'd say they're wrong. I only really got stuck twice. The fact is most people aren't observant enough to see the breakable grate in the corner or the Force Push-able box hiding the exit. If you pay attention, you won't have any trouble with the game. I thought the puzzles were well designed. My only frustration was in the last level when I kept running past the thing I needed to do something to (no spoilers here :) ), my frustration was with myself for not seeing the damn thing, not with the game itself.

The other thing that makes Jedi Knight II "hard" is its different from other FPSs (its much better :p ). You can't just pick up a lightsaber in the game and be great with it from the start. Similarly you have to adjust to the Stormtroopers AI, mainly because they are intelligent (unlike most FPSs' AI). The game has a learning curve bigger than most FPSs, and people just aren't patient enough to adjust to the game before they criticize it.

In my opinion, the game has excellent level design, great puzzles. Its challenging, but not too difficult by any means. Once you adjust to the game, you'll be tearing through it.

Well said Sturm, Im camped in my room facing the window out to my front door ready to jump the fed ex guy. The good reviews outweigh the bad so i think ill be darting for the door at non human speeds soon when i see Santa claus... ERr i mean fed ex guy.

Eric

you know what I have to say about GeekGirls?

Suck it down punk!

I saw their article: The Good, the bad, and the mediocre of 2001.

http://www.cgreviews.com/cgi-bin/i/i.pl?key=article&cat=features&db=goodbad.db&primer=normal

They say that Return to Castle Wolfenstein was bad... BAD? can you believe that? ever hear of multiplayer game of 2001, whores?

you know what game got Mediocre? Max Payne, that's right... game of the year got mediocre.

What might you ask is on their good list? Mech Warrior 4.

People with priorities like that should be shot and forced to play Pantie Raider until they explode.

Don't listen to GeekGirls, do the opposite of what they say and buy the game right away!!! w00t!

just my two boba fetts worth: :fett: :fett:

Originally posted by chiablo

People with priorities like that should be shot and forced to play Pantie Raider until they explode.

Don't listen to GeekGirls, do the opposite of what they say and buy the game right away!!! w00t!

Max Payne was mediocre if you look further than graphics and bullet-time, which I got bored of before the demo was over. Wolfiestein's MP doesn't save it, either. And I'm having a blast with MW4 (yeah, I know I'm late for that... shaddap). What's so bad about having good taste?

Besides, if I recall correctly she said Jedi Outcast is a must-have. Just listed some negative points, too. :rolleyes:

Well, hmm. RtCW didn't impress me any... MW4 is one of the better games in my library... and the multiple reports of puzzles (jump or otherwise) in JK2 are starting to concern me*. Sounds like the lady has a good read on her target audience, if you ask me... :D

*I said I was concerned, not that I'd made up my mind against it. Nobody needs to come jump on me over it (or for any other reason, for that matter :rolleyes: )

Okay, now that I have your attention...

"shoot the barrel, find the secret passage way, break the grate, shuffle around in the darkness to find the passagway, jump from ledge to ledge, press the buttons in the right order..."

I wish Raven had taken the energy the spent making these puzzles and put it more into adding more weapons and game features. For example, everyone was looking forward to light saber combat. But considering the hype that area got for attention, there really aren't too many light saber moves you can do.

Raven, here is a good game that paid attention to sword combat. DIE BY THE SWORD. The game is really old now by today's standards, but that had the best sword fighting combat system (and melee weapon combat system) I have ever seen.

How about a button to block or parry? (in jedi knight you just stand there and hope you block the hit). strong, medium and light attacks on the fly. Rolls with attacks Options to use two light sabres. How about a laser staff you can use? How about kicks in conjunction with light saber combat? They did it in the movies...

You guys at Raven headed off to a good start with special moves. You needed to expand upon that aspect of the game.

I would have also liked to have seen more focus on tactical aspects of the game. What about finding cover? Can you hide behind things and shoot? What about objects that will break with repeated shooting? How about doors you can blow open? The det pack is supposed to blow open locked doors but I've yet to find a locked door that I can blow open with a det pack. I need to solve puzzles and find keys to open the freakin door....

How about different ammo types?

Anyway, the game is good but could have been alot better for the reasons I mentioned above. Right now, it just feels like a heavily modded game of quake to me.

MODERATE SPOILERS......

I spent 4 hours on Nar Shadda. About 2 1/2 of those hours were spent trying to solve the grand mysteries of prepping the ship and what not with a friend of mine on the phone. After going through a couple phones on either end due to the deadening of batteries I finally gave up and checked the strategy forum to find that there was a second grate "cleverly" hidden in the shadows next to the red fuel pumps on the other side of the first one. Now, I truly enjoy the game and like the approach it has taken with incorporating puzzles that actually take some thinking and extends the game life, which is very clever, but some of them are ridiculous.

My friend and I aren't morons and I try to be plenty "observant" but the game offers too vague and broad-scoped objectives to determine where exactly you need to go/what switch to hit in many of the game's massive levels. It DOES become frustrating for most people and horribly redundant. I'm only playing on Jedi and I envy my friend incredibly for choosing the lowest difficulty so at least he can make it through the game reasonably well. Nar Shadda is so non-linear and massive that I actually managed to fall to a lower platform with a couple yellow control consoles which is where I thought you were supposed to go. I figured hey, if I can fall there then that must have been the intention.......wrong! I'm stuck on a platform meant for Lando Calrissian far later and now I have to reload the autosave at the beginning of this neck of the mission. Not fun.

I enjoy the game, I really do, but I'm almost afraid to fire up Cloud City that I finally crawled my way to and then have to deal with another massive puzzle that I get to stop and think about for a while when the actual plot could be progressing. Who knows, it's late, perhaps I'll think differently later on but for the moment the game just continues to grow more frustrating as it progresses.

Some of the main problems about this game are some of the puzzles. Some are very well designed and make you feel good when you do overcome them, but others once you get past a section you're thinking "What the?! How was I supposed to find that out?" and I hate some of the trap without warning things.

But I'm really enjoying this one, admittedly some of the jumping puzzles are annoying, but for some reason it seems to fit better into this game than others. The game does get a hell lot better once you get the lightsaber and the force powers start levelling up. I keep playing the Bespin level again and again because it's just so damn fun.

Things I like about JKII:

1. The graphics and sound are top-notch. It really feels like I am in the Star Wars universe.

2. Most of the force powers seem cool, although I haven't tried them all out yet.

3. Unlike some others, I actually do like the game puzzles.

4. The multiplayer maps that I have seen are really cool environments to fight in.

5. Enemy AI seems decent.

My problems with JKII:

1. Everyone moves too fast. Aren't stormtroopers supposed to be slow and clunky? In this game they move around so fast it is almost comical.

2. Laser beams move too slow. I know they wouldn't have *real* laser beams that would hit instantaneously, but these laser beams move slower than a stormtrooper.

3. Most of the weapons are so inaccurate. You can be aiming square at the chest of someone a few feet away and not hit him at all.

4. Stupid "auto aim" feature makes it almost impossible to hit a moving target. Try to lead ahead of a moving target and the auto-aim puts the aim *on* the target instead. If you try to hit someone running straight at you then this isn't as bad. But if you try to hit someone running on side of you then you will probably miss every shot (unless your horribly inaccurate weapon decides to fire in the correct direction).

I think the majority of the gaming comminuty are sick to death of the 'press random buttons' type puzzles. How many times in JO do you walk up to some button and press it without any idea what it does? Would you really do that if you were Kyle... walk up to an imperial console and start flicking switches without knowing what they do?

Another problem is being utterly lost. Those of you who have played the fist map of the last level will know what I mean.

People want to know why they are doing things rather than walking around randomly pressing buttons in a hope it does something.

The rest of the game is just fantastic though. The saber combat is just amazing. The maps are amazing... the only downfall is the irritating 'puzzles'.

I ran out and bought this game expecting it to be like JK1. And it is to some extent. The levels look beautiful and its nice facing stormtroopers right from the start, but those puzzles...

Dont get me wrong, I like some intelligent gameplay, but all I seem to do is run around waiting for the next hard-assed puzzle to come along. Some of them are well constructed, but others are just ridiculous.

Oh and I agree with the "getting lost" qualm. Thats another pain in the ass.

But, I still love this game and will play it through to completion.;)

There will always be bad reviews on a game, no matter what game it is. Not everybody likes the same things, or type of play. Personally I love Jedi Outcast, I don't think there is much they could have changed to make it better except a few MP things.(more skins, less damaging lightning, stuff like that)

Personally what I would do if your skeptical is wait for the demo play the demo then decide, OR you could weigh all the negative reviews against the positive reviews and see wich wins. But believe me your gonna find alot more positive than negative feedback out there.

Archived