Home

Old enough to have seen ANH first time around?

BlackDragon

Do you remember seeing ANH first time around?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you remember seeing ANH first time around?

• Yup - saw it way back when!
    • Huh - you mean the SE wasn't the original?

The other thread about ages got me a-wondering...

...how many people here actually remember seeing Star Wars (and I'm talking ANH!) when it was first released?

That's in 1977 for US folk and 1978 for anyone else ( like the UK - unless, of course, it was released in your country in '77!)

I did - and I still haven't forgiven my dad for not buying me a placky lightsabre when we left the cinema!

Empire was the first movie I ever saw. I saw it at a drive in. I was wearing pajamas. I recall Dagobah and the snow cave beast vividly (well because Ive seen the movie since then but I mean I recall watching those parts at the time). I also saw RoTJ in theatres its first time out.

I missed ANH by 4 years, and ESB by one. However, I DID see the first re-release of ESB back in '81 (I was 6 months old) and I did see RotJ on it's first run (2 years old) and the first re-release in '85 (4 years).

Hey... just because I myself don't remember seeing them doesn't mean I didn't see them. :D My parents took me along...

IT STILL COUNTS!

Saw ANH at a drive in at Niagara Falls, Ontario. Was all of 4 at the time. I vaguely remember bits and pieces, but I must have really loved it, because I remember quite well EAGERLY awaiting Empire Strikes Back when my dad told me it would be coming out.

TDS

I saw it on a Saturday afternoon in 1977.

I was in El Paso, Tx. at the time and my little Bro' and I sat thru it twice!!! (you could actually do that back then...one price, stay all day;))

It wasn't ANH then, it was just "Star Wars". IIRC They didn't call it ANH until they decided to make ESB.

:max:

I first saw ANH when I was 5 years old. I could remember the details. I couldn't sleep, so I went downstairs. There my dad was watching ANH. (I think it was. I saw a X-Wing in a sort of white tunnel with the top cleaved out.) Unfortunately, that was near the end, so it was quick. THAT had me hooked on Star Wars though.

I sat thru it twice!!! (you could actually do that back then...one price, stay all day

Yes now the movie house industry is a fat, bloated corporate monster. I am totally serious. I love going to movies but it has become ridiculous. When I moved here to Maine, prices were something like 6.50 for an evening 4 bucks for a matinee... now an evening ticket is EIGHT bucks and a matinee 6. The theatres around here don't allow you to bring any bags into the theatre because you may be bringing outside food into the place... so you have to buy their 4 dollar drinks (FOUR DOLLARS!!!!?? Where the HELL they buying that stuff!? I can get a 2 litre bottle of Coke at the supermarket for 99 cents!!! >:( ) and three dollar candy.

Whats amazing is that no one complains.

When ANH opened the firsty week was slow in our area. Soon it picked up and all the kkids were talking about it. I had to see it.

When we got there the line was all the way to the back of the movie house (no multiplex yet). We got in line and when we got even with an emergency exit one usher peeked hi head out to see the crwod. My father bribed him $50 (worth much more then then now) to let me and my friends in without tickets.

I got to see a great movie and see my father at his best. :)

When I moved here to Maine, prices were something like 6.50 for an evening 4 bucks for a matinee... now an evening ticket is EIGHT bucks and a matinee 6

The last time I went to go see a movie in Manhattan, which was about two years ago, movie tickets cost ten bucks!!! I con only imagine what price they have inflated to now.

Yep...I saw it in 1978, when I was 11, and it blew me away.

Of course, when ROTJ was released in 1983, I managed to catch the whole trilogy shown one after the other, in a cinema with really great quadrophonic sound...and a nice big screen. It was awesome...I was in there for over 7 hours... :eek:

I remember sitting in the Movie theater. I was 3 years old...

Most memoriable part that stuck with me was when Han Solo removed the Stormtrooper helmet and responded to the comm, stating everything was ok..

Man I feel old..

I was born the year Return of the Jedi hit screens. 1983

But it would have been great to see Star Wars first showing in the 70's. My pop was there, and said everyone applauded at the end, making it a rare thing now days.

I am glad George decided to re-release it in theatres again for the SE. But I am disappointed to see other great films of this caliber failed to do so as well. Films like 2001: A space odyssey.

I should be shot for this, but I actually remember going to see ESB SE and falling asleep during the film. Thinking about it now, I really regret it.... Send out Boba

:fett:

I saw it way back when. I too thought the stormtroopers were robots. The part I remember the most was when Leia kisses Luke on the cheek and says "for luck" when they are about to swing across the chasm in the Death Star.

I only saw it once in the theatres(thanks mom :rolleyes: ). I was mad because my best friends from up the street had seen it 9 times. 9 TIMES! Actually, that wasn't alot. Some folks saw it dozens of times. It was unbelievable.

HBK

I was so captivated by the previews and book that could only think of that glorious day when I would go with ticket in hand and see what was surely to be the best film of all time.

I was understandably quite P.O.ed :swear: when the movie was coming to my small neck of the woods the day I was supposed to head out to summer camp! I begged and pleaded not to go but the check was already sent and the trunk was packed so I had to go.

When I came home I thought the movie would've moved on and I would have missed out on one of the most memorable days of a young teens life.

Fortunately, one of the counselors was a huge fan and had all the comicbooks so I had something to tie my over for awhile.

When I got back the movie was still playing so I saw it that night on a truly full sized movie screen.

The movie ended up staying in town for weeks and I saw it enough times to memorize the dialogue and find most of the mistakes! I ended up seeing the thing 17 times.

And I sadly say the magic has been drained from the series! On the other hand maybe I just grew up. Childhood looks much better from a distance.

I too am an "Oldie Von Moldy" (Mad Magazine)! I saw it in 1978 and I was only 5 at the time. Vader's imperious entrance was the most captivating thing that I could recall seeing.

I have a book entitled "Star Wars: From concept to screen to collectible". On page 120 there is a photo of a death star play set. The caption that relates to is states: "A colorful, lithographed chipboard Death Star playset was sold only in England, France, and Canada. It is highly prized by collectors."

This is crap because I myself had one waaaaaayyyy back then and I live in Australia......Thats age for you, now where's my walking stick?

I saw in in 78. My family lived in Gramany at the time (my dad was in the Air Force) so it may not have shoed ther till 78. I dont really remember it since I was only 2 at the time but have memories of a few scenes from then. ESB was aobut the same way for me. I remember a few of the scenes form the theater but dont really have a good recollection of the whole theater experience. I do remember waiting in line for ROTJ as well as the entire movie. The good thing is the gaps in my memory form chilodhood were more than made up for by watching the movies on tape about a million times.

Archived