Home

Learning to use the saber

Dracofyre

I have been playing JK2 for a week or two now and have found myself to be a damn good gunner. The problem is is that I feel incomplete as a player by not being able to properly use the saber. I'm a wonder with the guns. Give me anything that shoots and I'm perfectly happy. The thing is is that I can't use a saber worth spit. I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice concerning the use of a saber in MP. I checked outcast strategy and the AFC site that was listed in a thread I saw a bit ago, and they helped a little but not enough. I am still suck and have been putting in some major practice time, but I just don't seem to be developing any skill. I'm wondering if I should stick with it or just focus my efforts on being the best damn gunner I can be (and if you tell me to just spam DFA...well... you're an idiot).

Well... I'm not entirely sure how you could practice or whatever to get better at using the saber, but I'll give you my thoughts, since that's all I've got.

Anyway. Well, a good way to get good with the saber is, quite obviously, to use it, and to watch other's, who are good with it, use it. The best way to do this, I think, would be to play on some Duel servers, many of which are lightsaber only.

This is what I first started playing when I first bought the game. I came into the game the same as you: pretty incompetent with the lightsaber. At first I got slaughtered by everyone in the game, but after a few days of playing I began to improve, and actually began winning some matches.

Now, after, well, I don't know how long it's been, but after however long it has been I'm actually quite good, as I've had time to perfect my strategy and my force configuration (this, too, is important, obviously) and adapt it to combat those who seem to present the most challenge.

Anyway... That's just a general way to get better, that seemed to work pretty damn well for me. I'll just give you some general tips here...

First off, the main thing that comes to mind is the stances you use. Don't, do not, use the light stance, except in special circumstances. If you're on any server where people can heal in whatever way, light is not the way to go, as it does so little damage and you'll just be nicking away at their health, little by little, only to have it skyrocket back up, thus negating all your efforts. You probably don't want that.

Generally heavy stance seems to be the way to go, as it has largest range and can inflict the most damage. This stance is especially useful against people who backpedal away from you and heal at every little hit, as, if you hit them, they're essentially dead. Oh, and a good little manuever you can pull off with this stance is to start a sideways swing and run past the person in the direction the swing is going. You can easily catch them with you're blade if you get it right, even though to the other person it'll seem like they were out of your range.

Anyway, generally, heavy stance is the way to go, but I also use medium stance, for a few reasons. Firstly, it's just more fun than heavy stance, I find. This captures more of an exciting spirit than the heavy stance, as heavy stance is rather slow and tedious, whereas medium is more berserker style, or it can be.

The second reason is because, if used in conjunction with heavy it can help mix it up, and keep your enemy on his toes. For example, if you're spinning around you're opponent and delivering quick slices to him with the medium stance, and suddenly you come out of nowhere with a DFA, or an overhand swing, they're going to be surprised.

This surprise can give you the upper hand, if only for a few times before they get used to it.

One more thing. Use attacks that keep you relatively far away from your opponent, but can still strike at them. This can help minimize damage done to you. For example, run past someone with medium style, and you can execute a spinning attack, which can catch them on their side, doing a fair amount of damage with little or none done to you.

Ahh, and just a few more words on dueling, if you plan to do that at all... This is just from personal experience here. These are a few strategies I've seen used and used myself.

Firstly, getting knocked over. This is, to say the least, no good. You don't wanna be on the ground with a heavy-styler charging at you with his saber over his head; that's certain death. At some point, however, it's guaranteed to happen, no matter how careful you are. So, whenever you're knocked over, if you're using lightside, quickly put up protect. If they do manage to hit you, which is by no means certain, you'll survive with, well, I don't know how much health, but the important part is that you survive.

Now, number two. Don't run at someone swinging. Start you're attacks when you get very close to the person, almost within striking range, or even when you are within striking range. This is probably a pretty obvious one, but just don't do it. It leaves you open to any number of nasty attacks... Push, saber throws, your opponent starting a heavy attack which you can't block...

And yes, do try to become a good saberer. I assure you, it's more fun than the guns could ever be. Oh, and don't be a DFA spammer, that's very bad!

Well, that's all I have to say. Hope it helped ya some.

Practice on a private server.

You vs. a bot, Force disabled, Saber only, set it to Padawan and the bot won't own you. You can find a list of moves online in plenty of places, just keep practicing the moves.

Or for that matter just set it up so that YOU are the only one in there, and 'shadow fence' a bit. Getting the keystrokes and movements down 100% will really help.

Imagine this scenario....you're given a foil and told to walk into a room full of Olympic-class Fencers (a foil is a sword) and told to fight 'em. You'll be dead in minutes. Now imagine you've spent a couple of weeks learning the basics, you'll still get toasted, but it'll take longer and you might get in a couple of lucky hits. Now imagine you've spent the equivalent of a couple of years learning your basics and fencing others, now you're starting to be a force to be reckoned with.

Admittedly, JKII doesn't take that long to learn (compared to Fencing, believe me, I know) but if you get yourself some basic moves, and move on from there to small servers with only six or seven people, and from there to massive games of 20, you'll start to climb the ranks. I started off in MP two weeks ago, and wasn't getting a single kill. Now I'm heading into a 25 minute long game with only five minutes left and ending up 2nd or 3rd.

You can do it, it'll just take some time.

DFA is another term for the Heavy Stance finisher. It's in the manual on page 23 listed under Foward Jump, Downward Hack. There are a lot of variations on how to executes the move, but in the manual, the command is listed as Foward + Attack + Jump from standing position.

Oh by the way tempest8008 that's also the one thing that makes my lack of skill with the saber even more crappy. I'm a fencer myself. So imagine how frustrating it is that everything I learned about the sport just gets thrown out of the window on day one of my life on MP JK2.

Originally posted by Dracofyre

Oh by the way tempest8008 that's also the one thing that makes my lack of skill with the saber even more crappy. I'm a fencer myself. So imagine how frustrating it is that everything I learned about the sport just gets thrown out of the window on day one of my life on MP JK2.

LOL

I know, you watch the animations in the game and keep thinking to yourself, "Why don't you just lunge?"

I keep imagining what I could do if my epee didn't weigh anything.

Hey, well i just bought JK2, and cant seem to get the multiplayer working! It says getting server info, and it never brings up any games!!!.....please help if you can!

So its not just my computer or conn having problems.

I'm having the same damn problem. It justed started recently. I was playing JK2 online just fine, and when I tried to get in the next day, I couldn't get in. I'm having the same damn problem with Mechwarrior 4 (which REALLY sucks since I just got the Black Knight expansion).:confused: :confused: :confused:

I think Im gonna start a new thread on this. See if anyone else is having problems.

a good way is to get into duels and study the tactics of the other guy unless they just daf spam and try also to find a good combination of force powers my favourite is jump i look like an idiot wall running and flipping all the time though

ok, i have a really good lightsaber guide page on the website i'm making but my internet is fried right now and i'm on a school computer so i'll have to just tell you some of the stuff

a) practice

b) watch others

c) be unpredictable, adapt to the situation

a good way to practice is to go onto the second last mission (yavin_courtyard) and run around without the help of your allies....(grip them and then your allies will fight back too:P)

if you want to fight 2 shadow hunters at a time go to the last part and also luke's quarters (jump up the turbo lift right after the first shadow hunter that's all by itself)

this can be good practice....and then go fight desann;)

he's a bit cheap and hard to counter his grip and stuff but if you stay close to him he won't use the force.....i'll give you the link when i get my site up (when my wireless high speed internet modem gets fixed[i'm itching to do some multiplayer too:(] and who knows how long that will be)

hopefully i've helped;)

Hmmm Fencing.... I always wanted to do that.

I would first try a DFA.....

Now, that I have finally gotten that damn eh foil? outta my a**

I can practice some more advanced moves like saber throw.

Hmm... ok broke a few vases, damn thing still won't come back. Maybe I should tie a thin rope to it and pull it when I throw it.

Ok, just got back from the hospital after getting stitches across my chest. Forgot to wear the outfit.... Hmmm. hmmm. Let's go kick some but in a tourny...

WHACK!

BOOM!

POW!

Hmmm... why'd I bother... maybe I should stick with computer generated weapons!

:)

Archived