Home

Patch Nerfs

fitzwilliamd

Kenn Hoekstra from Raven:

"Consider it forwarded. Just a note: the heavy stance has been tweaked heavily in the pending patch to balance it better."

Just when I had developed—painstakingly—the necessary skills to both counter and employ heavy, they go and start altering it in the new patch. What is this: Everquest? Instead of making Light and Medium more viable and useful, let’s nerf heavy!

Saber use did not come naturally to me, so I invested countless hours in developing strategies that worked; and now, it appears, that Raven is changing that dynamic.

Perhaps in the following patch they will nerf light sabers by changing them into glowing pom poms to prevent anyone from getting hurt…

Fitzwilliam

Originally posted by fitzwilliamd

Instead of making Light and Medium more viable and useful, let’s nerf heavy!

Fitzwilliam

Doesn't nerfing the heavy make the light and medium more viable and useful. You don't know what they are doing to the heavy stance, so you may want to reserve your complaints until after the patch comes out. If they improve collision detection and fix the buried saber annoyance from the DFA, then things would be much better. I'd also like them to make it so a saber that is returning to the ready position after a swing does non-swinging damage and not the damage for the swing that was just completed.

They don't really have to nerf the heavy, just tweak it. In other words, maybe lower the damage rate a bit, and make it so you can't switch swing directions in mid air. Also, if they give a little more attack choices for the heavy, not to mention the other two as well.

Doesn't nerfing the heavy make the light and medium more viable and useful.

NO, Nerf Theorists (NT) sadly try to ‘balance’ by reducing the strength of one ‘faulty’ component in the hopes that this will correct the errors inherent in the system.

According to the Raven spokesman, the ‘heavy tweaking’ is on the heavy style only; if we were to assume that all of the problems in saber combat result from this one style I would be thrilled. As it is, my post stands as written.

I voice my concern, but I do agree that we will just have to see what happens.

All that remains is for me to determine how to bind pom poms to a key…

So, do you see the blue and yellow stances as the unbalancing factors? If so, how? It seems to me that the blue and yellow stance are quite balanced with each other and that it is the red stance that is unbalanced with them.

Originally posted by Aegis

They are quite balanced, in fact a skilled player can break through the heavy any day of the week. They need to be tweaked though becuase there isn't enough variation in the moves.

A skilled player can break through... If he doesnt get killed by the 1 hit kill random swings in a crowd , or the moron DFA`in all over the map. It doesnt take quite as much skill to DFA as it does to break through a swinging strong player. I attribute 75% of my deaths to strong morons , who arent acutally that good. I also freely admit that im not that great at it either , and some strong players are really good , but those players should be able to adapt to the new patch.

Man, what a knee-jerk reaction. Pom-poms? OF COURSE!

The fact that they're toning down something that admittedly has problems doesn't bother me in the least.

Maybe you rely on the aforementioned problems a little too much?

i definately agree that the DFA needs to be tweaked. fix the saber in the ground part, and perhaps give it a longer recovery time to discourage idiots from spamming it.

im a big style changer, i like to mix things up for a bit more fun. one of my favourite moves is the big right handed swing in strong style, but i've also got lunge down to a very fine art, where i dont even need to duck anymore. a big hit from strong style followed by a lunge works well for me :)

Balancing the heavy stance will greatly inhance saber ffa games.

Alot of players who in their mind think they are good will now have to actually learn how to play, instead of sneaking up behind groups of players with the heavy overhead attack constantly for cheap kills.

Now if only this patch adds some more moves to all of the stances. A little less spinning in cirlces would be nice :)

I dont have a problem with the strong stance itself, but that damned jump move is rediculous. Id consider it more of a bug fix than a tweak.. (if thats what they are tweaking anyway)

hitting players AFTER the move is executed is a bit much.

Whats the point of having a recovery time if you still arent vulnerable during the "recover"

I agree with Pizlenut.

You should only cause attack damage DURING the swing. Otherwise, during the recover, the saber should cause normal 'incidental' damage.

There have been plenty of times when I've been killed by a buried saber, especially when you're in a melee of 5 or 6 people, ONE person does a DFA and you back up over his buried saber and DIE...to quote the guy from ING Direct, "Nonsense!".

Originally posted by Flash25

So, do you see the blue and yellow stances as the unbalancing factors? If so, how? It seems to me that the blue and yellow stance are quite balanced with each other and that it is the red stance that is unbalanced with them.

i agree i think that the :saberr: stance is a bit too powerful but what am i to say its probably just cuz i suck :)

Originally posted by VaderVin

Now if only this patch adds some more moves to all of the stances. A little less spinning in cirlces would be nice :)

You're upset by them doing the strafe spin!? Not only does that move look cool AND work, it's also very pretty...

Especially when you consider the fact that they are moving AND attacking, and their defenses are shot to sh*t. Push 'em. Simple as that. They can't defend against it if they are performing a passable imitation of a Sky Dancing Barbie.

*I* use the move myself though, I must admit. It's the guys who do it while moving acrosss half the map that make me laugh.

I just hope that they don't get overzealous about nerfing strong when what they should do is empower Light and Medium styles. It already takes forever to wait for 2 Light-style combatants to finish a FF duel. If they cripple Strong style then even more people with be using Light and Medium which will drag out all the duel matches.

L and M are pretty, but waiting 20 min. to play in an 8 person server really sucks.

I think they ought to up the base damage for Light by 10 points to 40 per hit and widen its range. Medium needs more flipping and other acrobatic attacks. Being able to roll and do some type of attack immediately upon stopping the roll would be really useful, and would serve to balance L and M with Strong without just nerfing strong.

Hey here's a novel idea!

Why don't we wait and see what the patch does before we start our complaining?

After all, we have no idea what it's going to do. Raven made the game, Raven is patching the game and tweaking it. Complain AFTER it comes out if you don't like it. OK?

I think they ought to up the base damage for Light by 10 points to 40 per hit and widen its range. Medium needs more flipping and other acrobatic attacks. Being able to roll and do some type of attack immediately upon stopping the roll would be really useful, and would serve to balance L and M with Strong without just nerfing strong.

Yes! Marry me!

Originally posted by ArtifeX

I like this idea, but I'm not partial to the one hit kill thing, which is most of the red's strikes. I would like to see a damage ratio of 40-50-60. Then I would speed up the heavy swing slightly, but make it more blockable. With improved collision detection, this is quite balanced.

The reason that light duels take so long, I think, is because it is so easy to avoid people. The movement in this game was designed for an FPS and not a sword fighting game. You can run backwards almost as fast as you can run forwards. It is very difficult to close the gap between you and a good opponent. Slowing down backward movement would help. There really isn't a problem with finishing a duel quickly with the light stance, you just have to trap the guy so he can't run away.

Archived