Home

Give the Newbies a chance, for christ's sake!

Kanubis

First off, excuse the blasphemy in the subject title if such things offend you.

Secondly, I've been playing JO online since day one, so why do I not get bothered by new players when everyone else seems to wage a holy war against them.

I know, I know, what sort of inconsiderate git doesn't trawl the net for hours before playing to eek out any rules of etiquette that people might of made? How could someone dare buy a FPS, join a free-for-all (notice the ALL word?) and assume that they can actually try and kill any other other players they see?

Okay, I know the drill. I leave people if they have their saber off. I bow. I stay away from duellers. I even tollerate, sometimes see the funny side of, people standing on my head to form a people tower. But I don't get schizo at a new player who hasn't noticed all this sh*t going on.

I was playing the other day when two thirds of a 16 person game turned on a newbie. After five mintues of this I renamed myself NEWBIE CHAMPION and offered to take on the lot of them (suicide: I'm of average skill, if that). Gratingly, most of them assumed I was joking.

Anyway, those of you who think buying a game in the first two weeks is a prerequisite to playing it on-line, are a bunch of (consider the 'F' word to exist here) snobs.

And to whoever it was who got angry at me when I hacked them down because they 'almost had the f**king newbie', if you're such a decent player, why wouldn't you duel??

Err... went off on one a bit there. Sorry.

I gotta agree on this one,

Newbies (silly word), need encouragement and if you have the time a little training. Who knows this poor noob could end up being your friend and making the servers a nicer place for people to be should be a priority for any civilized person.

Its simply manners, the ones that go around hacking up poor old noobs are probably just kids themselves or 'ubernoobers' who've learnt the fundamentals and are finding ways to exploit the moves in the game.

Simply put why can't folk help one another rather than making a point of being an arsehole all the time!

Peace

Jah

I tend to favor newbies as well.

However, I do get irritated when people repeatedly tell this newbie about certain rules of etiqutte, and he not only does not respond, but simply ignores it. Yes, ok, I understand its a free for all. But if you dont agree with it, at least give us a response so we know you're ignoring it. Then we can do likewise to you.

Most of the time I write this off to newbies not knowing how to transmit a message, but it annoys me just the same.

ShockV1.89

wow, i wish i could play online!!....lol..the other day i mentioned on a site that i play on a LAN, and somebody asked...LAN!???

what is that?? being technologicaly empared(sic) us cavemen have to play lan, and i would have loved to experience the

"new" feeling playing people who are not my friends(yet) and

not know their "feel for FPS' ", u know..u can tell the style your

friends follow...anyway back to the topic...thank u for people

like u guys who would stick up for people like me(i no longer

run around like a headless chicken with weakslash!)

I don't mind helping new players, I (and everyone of you) were "the new guy" at one time. They ask a question, I answer. Granted I don't want to (and won't) stop and type the entire manual to them during a game, but I have to keep in mind that a couple of years ago when Quake 3 came out, I was one of those guys asking players how to change the colors in my name.

Hell if the guy even has a good sense of humor, I go easy on them and let them get in a kill or two off me. Personally the last thing I want to see is an in-game browser with servers full of bots because all the human players got frustrated and gave up.

Well, its about time someone stuck up for us n00bs!!! Yes, I'm a n00b at JK2, I have had it for about a month now, but have just started doing multiplayer over this past week, and man oh MAN does it piss me off when I'm doing something important like going and dicking with my force powers mid-game in a ffa, I have my saber off, and that little pannel icon is over my head, letting ppl know I'm doing something, and what happens, some dick head comes and takes me down! And when I get into a big melee of like five or sisx people going at it, and I come in swinging like a mad man and score a few kills, I get yelled at for some damn reason! And I'm still learning all the ins and outs of getting combos and links to go off right, thanks to myself. And when I ask ppl what they think the best force combos are for what styles and what not, I'm ignored completely.

I think the main reason I am having a hard time at this game is because I'm more used to team-based multiplay games like Medal of Honor, or RTCW. Those games I kick ass in because I'm funcitioning as a part of a squad, working togther to take out a target. But when I try to do the CTF or CTY matches on JK2, its like a damned Team FFA with someone occasionally making a mad dash for the flag. Those matches have no strategy whatsoever, just use force speed and pray you get to the flag thats it.

And when I get into a big melee of like five or sisx people going at it, and I come in swinging like a mad man and score a few kills, I get yelled at for some damn reason!

Heh, I dont know why that might be. People have a thing against getting killed by somebody who is clearly new to the game, offends their sense of "honor" or whatever. People get sorta stupid about this game, just ignore it.

Or you may have done the dreaded backslash/stab, purely on accident. But people are quick to whine about it, and will assume that anyone they see do it once is a spamming ghey loser, so you'll get yeled at. Just ignore them.

Typekilling is lame, revel in the fact that the person who killed you may get to the top of the scoreboard, but they probably belond a few places down. ;)

CTF/CTY are still in their baby stages. At this point, people are still learning the game and are not familiar enough with it to be able to use a strategy. Occasionally I manage to scrape together some like minded players and we'll organize, but not often. I'm a UT CTF vet, so the teamwork aspect appeals to me as well.

Dough, what server do you usually play on? If you'd like for me to give you a little bit of training or answer any questions for you, let me know, I'd be glad to meet up with you and give you a hand.

ShockV1.89

• 2 weeks later...
:) being a n00b, or whatever ppl call us that just got the game, i have owned it about a week now, i am just incredibly happy to finally be able to be a Jedi in a realistic StarWars game. This Game kiks a$$. period. So plz excuse me if it take a while for my highly expirenced fps behind, (hl,cs,tfc,rtCW...ect), to learn the fundamentals of this non-team play fps. I will get it, as will most who put forth the effort. Quit all the whining,......it seems a bit .......out of place for those who would seem to think of themselves as Jedis......

How can you even distinguish newbs? The game's been out like two frigging months.

I'll always help on a server. I'll also ask if I don't know something, and folks always respond. I think this community is actually pretty good--just ignore the kiddies. FFA is a trial by fire, and you have to take your lumps at some point to get better. Folks who gang up on newbs (or even mention them) prolly are newbs themselves with inferiority complexes...

Killed while typing? I agree its lame, but really, is it anything to get worked up about? I figure I take my chances if I want to say anything protracted. How about this--if you anticipate chatting for a while, go into spectator mode. (Or better, IRC is this really cool thing that is dedicated to chats...) Moreover, bind a few keys to "nice shot" or "Thanks" and you can get in your pleasantries without opening yourself up to frags.

Right, Nathan, if you're gonna chase me around the forums, insulting me for my beliefs and viewpoints on things based on that other thread, then you can piss off.

In response...

i favor newbs aswell... only if im winning though

That sums up just about your entire line of thinking... WIN WIN WIN. How sad...

ShockV1.89

I have no problems with n00bs, but I use that word on these forums, representing a different 'breed' of JK2 online players. I know and You all know that there are people out there who decide to try to take the easy way, and not try to learn from their mistakes..rather they would rather complain about them..

These are the people I brand the name 'n00b' on here. I do not mean the beginning players trying to learn how to play and ethics of the online community (if any..) I am all for helping them come into the game, and actually helping them understand some moves that they will undoubtly encounter and be angry at in the future.

So as for future reference, whenever I use the word 'n00b' on here, I do not refer to them...I refer more to the annoying ones on here ;)

Well, I'm a brand spanking newbie to this game. I haven't been able to play online yet because I haven't gotten my fast internet connection yet due to the fact I just moved. I'm glad to see there are guys in this game who are willing to help me learn the game. I like Dark Beggar's defintion for n00b. It makes sense. I am one of those players who tries to learn the game quickly. I am a very experienced FPS player and I actually run a well respected CS clan called Elite Hunters (http://www.elitehunters.com). Give us newbies a chance and the next thing you know you will have a very good allie. I know for one, once I get online on this game I will be a force to recon with once I get to know the ropes and that's only because of the friendly guys who will be showing me the ropes. Thanks god guys like you exist.

Jason

No Problem man..it's always good to help someone with the game...and it gives a sense of pride when the enxt day he comes back and he's doing much better...

Anyways, the first piece of advice that I would give you is that if there is something that you get killed by constantly, don't start by complaining, look at the move he used and learn how to not get hit by it.

Most newbies are cool, but STOP USING LIGTHNING!!! :lightning

Lithning users will always be newbies (as long as they keep using it). And for all those who agree with me, Absorb is the best defense.

But as i said earlier, most newbies are cool.:)

Archived