Home

Its OFFICIAL, >NO< Patch - E-mail enclosed

Inviction

Hi all, i decided to e-mail James at raven, mainly to compliment him on the great piece of work that is Jk2, i did at the end include a small bit about possible patches, here is the whole e-mail.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you!

Lucas currently does not have any plans to release any more patches. (But we released the source code so users can make the changes themselves.)

-James

-----Original Message-----

From: John LEVETT [mailto:*******@******.freeserve.co.uk]

Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 7:56 AM

To: jmonroe@ravensoft.com

Subject: JediKnight 2 - Congrats

Hi,

I've played Jediknight 2 since it was released, and have loved it every day, it's great, right at the start of the singleplayer missions where your struggling to survive, upto when your in the Jedi training grounds trying desperately to get your saber. I mainly play JK2 online, I've came 2nd in the Jolt tournament, and 2nd in Wireplay, and play for Jedi* who are ranked #1 on clanbase. The point of this is that the whining e-mails your getting, are from those players, who don't appreciate the game, and its complexity, and honestly, cant be too good at it, so they use Raven as a Scapegoat. Fine the patch has 1 un-balanced sabre attack, but EVERYTHING else is fine, the forces, blocking, and weapon ammo usage, its all fine. If you would take the time to read the Lucas forums for JK2, you would see that there are a lot of people trying to support you, and Raven, :).

The next note of this mail, currently you can disable the *un-balanced* backstab by a command, could you consider releasing this in a Client patch with just that, which would end the debate ...and tedious whining of those ingame when you swiftly remove that annoying head of theirs :p. Currently there are a tiny amount of servers running this, and the game is more skilful and enjoyable with it running, perhaps it could be a quick painless answer to a long over-drawn question ?

Regards,

John Levett - Nick: Jedi*Invictae

http://www.clanjedi.tk

#jedi* on IRC - quakenet

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to bring bad news, but this should return this community to the nice calm state it has been before.

Jedi*Invictae

#jedi*

Ranked #1 on Clanbase

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's time to get some kind of standardized community mod fix in place...

As some of you know, the mod SDK source is a later version than the last patch (it's labeled 1.03a) and has fixes for the backstab/sweep spamming (among other things) out of box. A few friends of mine and I have been playing with compiled vanilla qvm's of 1.03a using a variant fs_game (beta103a for now).

Moreover, we've been using the cvar's Areoch recommended (sabertrace off, ghoul2 on, dismemberment on), and overall the game seems much better than 1.02 or 1.03 ever were.

I propose putting together a quick mod (I already have the qvm's in a pk3) with those cvars in the default server.cfg that admins can just download so everyone can find and play on fixed servers.

If someone else wants to do it that'd be great, but if not, I guess I can get around to it this weekend.

Once again, the above post really isnt "proof". You could have very easily typed that out. Intresting how James didnt respond to any of your comments except for the patch part. Also intresting how the email you sent him has the date, time, subject, etc...but the one he returned to you has none.

I'm not calling you a liar, but it all looks suspicious.

Until I read something from raven, jkii.net, gamespot, ign, shacknews, or another credible source, its all bs to me.

I partly agree with jarek that it might look a little suspiscous....

I also agree that this community should make a "patch" for the better.

But this patch shouldn't just be made by a few select people.

Make a thread full of ideas and reach a compromise. This is everyone's game after all.

jarek and cjais:

http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=7089

HomeLAN - What can you tell us at this point about upcoming patches and free content for both Jedi Knight II and Soldier of Fortune 2?

Kenn Hoekstra - I'm afraid I can't really say what the plans are for Jedi Outcast at this time, but I can say that Raven and Activision do have a long term support plan in place for Soldier of Fortune II that includes game updates and content. Can I say exactly what that entails? Not right now. But soon.

Pretty much says, Lucas won't let us(Raven) make a patch, so we had to release the SDK to save the game. My guess is Raven put a message in a bottle in the SDK saying, "this is actually the next patch, pass it on."

Originally posted by flippo

My guess is Raven put a message in a bottle in the SDK saying, "this is actually the next patch, pass it on."

My guess as well, which is why I'm going to try and get as many servers as possible to run the package I threw together :)

Once again, the above post really isnt "proof". You could have very easily typed that out. --Jarek

Once again, Jarek I tell you to e-mail him yourself. My friend received an identical response to Inviction.

Instead of calling into question the fact of what Mr. Monroe is stating, ask him yourself.

Caution is one thing, blatant wishful thinking is another.

I personally wish it were not so, but reality takes precedence.

OMFG, i aint lying, accept it. -- no patch

I use outlook express so i dont get a bit saying details from who.

He replied about the other comments with

Thank You!

If you think i'm lying thats rather sad, i wouldn't post news like this to piss people off, i'm quite respected, and an admin for a few leagues in JK2, so i dont wanna get me self a bad name :(

HERE, THE PROPERTIES OF THAT E-MAIL, NOW I AINT LYING FFS

X-From_: jmonroe@ravensoft.com Thu Jun 06 17:21:47 2002

Return-path: <jmonroe@ravensoft.com>

Envelope-to: clarren2@jatlevett.freeserve.co.uk

Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 17:21:47 +0100

Received: from [204.97.248.140] (helo=ravend.ravensoft.com)

by imailg1b.svr.pol.co.uk with esmtp (Exim 3.35 #1)

id 17G01B-000744-00

for clarren2@jatlevett.freeserve.co.uk; Thu, 06 Jun 2002 17:21:45 +0100

Received: by RAVEND with Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19)

id <MJDNSV1D>; Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:21:33 -0500

Message-ID: <D7A9E3BBB354D1119E7400A0C989924102CE9AB6@RAVEND>

To: 'Steve LEVETT' <clarren2@jatlevett.freeserve.co.uk>

Subject: RE: JediKnight 2 - Congrats

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:21:27 -0500

MIME-Version: 1.0

X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19)

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C20D76.357112A0"

Be realistic about it....why WOULD Raven release a patch because some people are whining that they want one? Isn't that what GOT them into this situation in the FIRST place? Seems kinda foolish to do it twice in a row

I have never made a post about the 1.02/1.03 patch controversy. And this is the first subject I've felt worth speaking on about it...

I would have to vote for creating a pure SDK 1.03a compile without the Areoch server.cfg included, and distributing it as an "Unofficial" Patch update to all file servers. Then place a Sticky/Announcement on every page in this forum, and at

every other bbs as well, trying to get as many servers and players to update to it as possible.

Then offer a seperate Areoch server.cfg download, and/or a combination of both for those servers who wish to run both. It will be MUCH easier to initiate a community wide move to the 1.03a unofficial patch if it were offered on it's own, and explained clearly that this is from the Raven SDK directly, though not released officially because of issues with LucasArts.

Though I personally like the Areoch server.cfg changes, I feel that it should be left to a more individual choice level by server administrators, while the 1.03a patch should be pushed as a community wide change.

LucasArts isn't really in control of this - it's the people who visit the mod sites, scan the bbs boards, and setup the servers that decide what goes on. If enough people upgraded to 1.03a, then the word would spread and it would become the standard very quickly. Let the "public" and "official" pure servers run the required 1.03 patch - and get everybody else run the 1.03a patch.

The only people left out of the loop would be new players who purchased the 1.02 or 1.03 versions. But as soon as they started encountering 1.03a servers everywhere, they'd get the clue and find the patch.

I'm not sure this should be setup as an auto-downloadable file from 1.03a servers, since it could conflict with clients who want to run the 1.03 version. It should be optional, and require a conscious decision on the client end.

Also, I wouldn't vote for extra additions unless it was a specific CTF/CTY improvement - since that seems to be the one that got messed up the most. Has anyone tried the SDK 1.03a and Areoch server.cfg on a CTF server? And did it improve team play issues that were created by the 1.03 patch?

Though I've read of and tried many great MP modifications, I don't think they should be added to an unofficial 1.03a patch from the Raven SDK. Just my vote...

Originally posted by jarek

Once again, the above post really isnt "proof". You could have very easily typed that out. Intresting how James didnt respond to any of your comments except for the patch part. Also intresting how the email you sent him has the date, time, subject, etc...but the one he returned to you has none.

I'm not calling you a liar, but it all looks suspicious.

Until I read something from raven, jkii.net, gamespot, ign, shacknews, or another credible source, its all bs to me.

'I find your lack of faith disturbing...' *Jarek is slowly suspended in the air, he begins to loosen the neck of his shirt...* (OWNED)

I do believe inviction on this matter, and I fully support a community patch idea. This is especially good since the people over at the all seeing eye, will add a new patch filter for jkii.net and we can choose to only play on the servers with the community patch! :)!

I'am glad the community is becoming aware of ghoul2 collision. I posted it on the front page of jediknightii.net in hopes people would realize its potential.

You must also consider one thing, about the patches. Lucasarts is the producer, they pay raven to make the game, AND THE PATCHES! So that is why lucas decides when a patch is do be made, and if so, they must inform Raven (AND PAY THEM)! Heh... I believe the people at raven are great, but they danced around this one issue quite a bit, but thats ok. :)

*Continues to dream about star wars galaxies*

While I'm waiting on the other JK2 news sites with file sections to put up the file, I've uploaded it to 3DDownloads so at least some people can start trying it out now.

http://www.3ddownloads.com/?file_id=160466

As of right now it's only at the Texas mirror, which has a 25 person FTP limit (I guess it's better than waiting in line at FilePlanet). I may bug a friend at GSI later to put it up on FP if it gets a favorable enough reception. My e-mail is in the readme included, so you can just send me mail to comment or reply here.

Feel free to tell any friends/admins of your favorite servers. Suggestions/complaints welcome.

Players don't need to download anything. 1.03a can be run as a server side mod, which is the way the WD server (166.90.203.203) is set up.

The problem is getting the ladders/tournies/leagues to make using the semi-official patch required.

Another thing:

I am no saberist. I'll get that out to begin with. The changes made with the source code deal mostly with saber issues. However, one bug, and I believe a big one, has been very apparent in the duels that I have played in since we put the source pvm on our server. That bug is with the saber throw. It seems to magically disappear and hardly ever returns. If it is the case that there is no new patch, that leaves us to fix this problem. With all the mods that will pop up, in order to fix this bug, every mod would have to have the fixing code. That's one tough order. I have always believed patches should be bug fixes only, no gameplay changes. Who knows what other kind of bugs are in there.

Originally posted by WD_ToRMeNt

Players don't need to download anything. 1.03a can be run as a server side mod, which is the way the WD server (166.90.203.203) is set up.

The problem is getting the ladders/tournies/leagues to make using the semi-official patch required.

Yeah, my only worry with that is the pure server pk3 check. I guess I could re-distribute it with the qvm's uncompressed in the base mod fs_game directory; once I get more suggestions I'll put out a revised version with that change so clients aren't bothered and whatever else is needed. Thanks!

Alright, cool. I could've sworn someone said earlier that they were having problems connecting to the test server (with sv_pure 1) without the pk3, but I'll double-check again tomorrow.

My only other real concern is ensuring that the modification is:

A) standardized

B) readily visible in server lists

Thanks!

Archived