Home

keep loosing(!) my saber .. help?!?!

els.DarkLord

Ok, after i asked here on the forums if someone could help me with a simple MOD idea cowwithoutbrain was kind enough to do all the changes to the 1.03a Source Code for me:

-Kick does NO damage

-saber throw ttakes up 60% Forcepower and 'only' inflicts 15 damage

So basically what I am running on my server is a simple MOD based on the 1.03a source code.

I only have one (really) big problem though:

Sabers keep getting lost after saber throws. They *often* just fly through walls, disapear, and only come back after several *minutes*.

Several times now I heard this hapened before (since 1.03) but i guess just only sometimes

It happens rather often now.... thats not good. has anyone a clue how to fix it?

Maybe make sabers *undroppable* again? (since it is now [at least with 1.03a + ghoul2=on] possible to knock sabers when they are in the air)??

Or fix the amount of time it would take to come back to ... let's say 3 seconds?

I mean i like the idea that the saber is actually dropable like in SP, but it should not be *LOST* forever ... :/

Any help would be great !

I'm running my server now without ghoul2... ( :( :( ) basically that seems to "fix" the problem of disapearing sabers so far. But hey, everyone WANTS ghoul2... so what that might mean is that the problem could depend on ghoul2....

My guess would be that this happens everytime when (in SinglePlayer!) the saber *should* be dropped to the ground and be retrieved by its owner with a simple +attack.

Would this help in solving the problem? Damn, I just can't understand all this Code.

if (saberent->bolt_Head == PROPER_THROWN_VALUE)
{ //[b]return to the owner now, this is a bad state to be in for here..[/b]
saberent->bolt_Head = 0;
saberent->think = SaberUpdateSelf;
saberent->nextthink = level.time;
self->client->ps.saberInFlight = qfalse;
[b]self->client->ps.saberThrowDelay = level.time + 500;[/b]
self->client->ps.saberCanThrow = qfalse;
}

might *this* have anything to do with how long it takes when the saber *IS* lost, or anything? :-/

there are some threads about it, but to make it short: it makes saber combat much more like in SinglePlayer. And that is better, fairer, more dynamical.. blabla... than before ;)

Anyways i've now tested a MOD on my server that I've compiled on my own. The only thing beeing changed from 1.03a was commenting out the kick damage.

Guess what? Saber still disapears.. *often*!

Why is this? I don't get it... others have 1.03, 1.03a and even 1.03a MOD Servers up and running without this, haven't they?

I'm really really sad now; I mean the game still *is* fun with throw disabled, but even with all my 'tweaks' to throw it was an important tactical(!) weapon (no it was NOT spammable anymore!), and combat feels really lacking sometimes now..... I just can't get this damn thing fixed.

Yeah, well, that mod sucks. U104 is the direct source code from Raven, no modifications, and it has no problems on GHOUL 2. Infact, I loose my saber LESS (it happened a few times in 1.02 and 1.03) now. You can get it from Massassi or JKII.net.

Originally posted by Emon

Yeah, well, that mod sucks. U104 is the direct source code from Raven, no modifications, and it has no problems on GHOUL 2. Infact, I loose my saber LESS (it happened a few times in 1.02 and 1.03) now. You can get it from Massassi or JKII.net.

I've been to servers (one was our own) with the unedited source, and they were plagued with losing the saber. Apparently, it happens randomly enough for everyone to have different opinions of it.

The only thing that I know that causes you to lose a saber is if you throw the saber a couple times while repeatedly trying to turn the saber off as soon as it comes back. (basically throwing and repeatedly hitting 1)

Frankly, I think losing your sabre is more realistic. If you throw something away, don't expect it to come back. If you throw away your only weapon, don't expect to live. If you come up against me, don't expect to come away intact. I'd say that your mod works perfectly. I doubt that Luke's sword comes back every time, either.

Well I agree that it would be nice if saber could be knocked out of the air intentionally by the other player, so you have to retrieve it.

But I don't think anyone should feel about this bug[]/b as a "feature", where all those super-bad-people who dare to throw away their saber are beeing punished... If one does not like throwing at all (and without my changes I don't do so as well), one should search for another server.

but again this is a very fundamental community problem. Some people here always exploitet the games bugs heavily (blue lunge in air, backstab...).

So my point is: With this bug and only some of those bug exploiting players, such servers (1.03a in any version with throw enabled) tend to be no-fun.... So for now throws disabled for me until someone finally finds a fix for this :/

Oh... I was just being somewhat comical. I think your sabre should come back normally... I just think there should be a chance of it not coming back... Murphy's Law in action, so to speak. Throwing your sabre isn't bad, although I think it should drain your force HEAVILY.

I mean... how many times is it done in the movies? Once? Twice?

I think the problem is that in DFII:JK, you could throw it all the time with little cost to your manna. It should be a surgical strike kind of thing.

Exactly!

And actually, what you describe is pretty much what my MOD does. It will cost you 60% 'Mana' to execute a throw... so one has to think think before you do so. I would have liked something like 'dropable sabers' as well, where the opponent could knock it out of the air, but this damn bug stopped everything :(

Not a bad idea. I had some ideas along that line, but coding is WAY out of my league. I can skin and am very average at mapping, but beyond that... nada. Anyway.

Here's an idea... what if there was a limit to the number of times you can throw a sabre? Or, better yet, maybe make it random as to how many times you can do it or only make it possible if the person is standing still. Here's a better idea yet...

Make it so that the sabre is thrown a lot faster than it normally is (it takes hours for it to reach the enemy in normal play) and if the target is able to execute force-pull in time, he gets to keep the sabre. I think that's fair. Kind of like being able to deflect most shots with force-push. Of course, throwing the sabre should still pull major mana.

You have some nice ideas. Well but guess what? i can't code a line either ;)

comewithoutbrain was the kind person here in the forums that helped me out wth this. My idea was to make as LESS changes as possible to the original 1.03a code while making the game fair and balanced again (well not really 'again', it never was before... 1.03a has done REALLY good things to the game balance).

So only things changed is that saber throw takes up 60% force and 'only' makes 15 Damage.

Kick does not make any damage, but can still knock you down (not possible anymore with push/pull on a good server set-up -> very good thing).

There is only one more change that i would like now (besides throw being fixed), and that is a slight tweak to blue lunge, which really is a bit too powerfull, compared to any other move.

Well since I can't code I won't do this I guess *g*

But what really is a bad bad thing is this throw bug... oh well.... here we go again....

Archived