This is Sad (All Please Read)

Twins of Doom

Do you agree with this  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with this

• I agree with Twins of Doom totally
    • I agree on some points but not all
    • I disagree on all points

This is horribly sad. You look at the main area, it is becoming filled with people asking how to SCRIPT SOMETHING! Something should be done about this, or so I think. Even making a forum for scripting only would be better so that it stays out of multiplayer strategy center!:rolleyes:

I feel that something should be done to keep these topics out of our area for strategies, especially since most of the people who come here hate scripters.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people hate scripters because they don't understand how harmless scripts really are. It is a common misconception that scripts are somehow capable of performing out-of-this-game tasks like turning your saber into a spear, turning water into wine or turning good into evil.

Scripts are, and I have said this on numerous occasions before, simply queued commands. Scripts are capable of stuff like automatically turning your character around and firing (popular in Quake3). Scripts can be abused much like other things , but not necessarily so.

Scripts are _not_ inherently evil.

However, I agree that things other than scripts are worth pondering in this forum.

i'm just saying that it should be taken out of here because this is multiplayer (get this one) STRATEGY center

i am not saying that they are hard to counter, because scripters are easy to counter, unless they are the freaks that hav a script to make it think that opponent is behind so they can backstab when in front of opponent (that is just plain stupid and cheap)

You are obviously one of those who have misconceptions about scripts.

"A script" is not "easy to counter" because all scripts are not alike. "A script" can be anything from saying two phrases after eachother to an automated DFA.

You can't claim that "scripts" are "easy to counter" because that would consecutively mean that "any number of arbitrary moves after eachother" are "easy to counter".

I'm not calling anyone a noob, did I call somebody a noob? The only one I've ever applied such a label on is your loyal dog Leelink, and that was only because he repeatedly used a very arrogant tone towards players he thought was lesser skilled.

The fact of the matter is that people think of scripts as evil Jedi mindtricks of sorts that turn the balance of the game up-side-down. This, is not the case. Or needn't be anyways, anything that can be used can also be abused.

And furthermore, I was unaware of the supposed fact that "all scripters" use the "same move" "over and over again". If this is the case, why at all do you care if people use scripts?

ok now...

JKII is becoming more and more popular, right? This is a good thing, right? More players = more servers. More players = better competition. etc etc.

A lot of these would be Jedi's are coming from CS or TFC (like me) or Quake and UT where scripting is the norm. So they find this new game that they really dig and want to play it like the other FPS games they have experienced.

I myself use scripts in CS and TFC to relay team messages or to do things like rocket-jump or crouch-jump or switch grenades (TFC)

I don't feel this is cheap or cheating in anyway. The engines these games run on were made to be able to script.

I use no scripts in JKII, however. Scripts are very lag dependent and thus often don't work. The one that can preform manuenvers without the aid of scripts will be the one on top. Always.

Twins of Doom, I have read many of your posts (and tried to look at your guides but cannot connect for some reason) and I have gained some respect for you. So, this is no cut on you, just my reaction....

Twins of Doom, I have read many of your posts (and tried to look at your guides but cannot connect for some reason) and I have gained some respect for you. So, this is no cut on you, just my reaction....

i'm not really talking about scripting talking, but scripting moves...i myself have it scripted to tell people not to attack when my saber is off.......

and the reason you can't read the guides right now is because my server is down (my friend who's hosting it must have his computer off or something!!!)

I would have to agree, scripting is not a strategy. merely a series of command. I have released dfa and backstab scripts and even a backkick to dfa script. its not real hard once you get the hang of it, but scripts are not a strategy. scripts are easy to counter because its just like a spammed move. if you can adapt to the game you can counter a script or spammer. I was the first to release the DFA script, while I dont mind sharing scripts (they will be needed for mods) I dont believe scripts should be part of anyones strategy. I dont use them during my game because they dont make you a diverse player. I merely wrote the script to prove it could be done. Your can write a script for anything that can be done "normally" in the game.

I think it's wrong to script to give yourself an unfair advantage, i.e. 180* turn+backpeddle+stab. I'm a bigtime scripter but it's of stupid things. I don't script attacks but I script stuff like the Kyle and Jan kiss animation, which allows me to "kiss" people in games.

Ok, I just played this guy and we were all convinced he had a saber lock script because he won the locks easily every time! (You know who you are ;) ) Yes he could be just really good at button pushing but it was for like 5 maps in a row and he never lost a lock. Now I wanna know that script, why?, because if I ever meet him again, I'd like to think I was in with some sort of chance! I used to think I was pretty good a saber locks :(

My point is, yes most scripts are for lazy people who want to go around spamming them but alot of scripts are not. I see nothing wrong with scripts for taunt, name colour, phrase, dismember, turning off the reflective floors to name but a few! Not all scripts are bad.

I think it's wrong to script to give yourself an unfair advantage, i.e. 180* turn+backpeddle+stab. I'm a bigtime scripter but it's of stupid things. I don't script attacks but I script stuff like the Kyle and Jan kiss animation, which allows me to "kiss" people in games.

Hey, I wouldn't mind a look at that script! Any chance of posting it here? :D

i don't mind scripts for talking, changing sabercolor, etc

but its the scripts for attacking, and the ones that give them an unfair advantage (like saberlock scripts) that are unfair

and anyways, scripts shouldn't be in here...last i checked it wasn't a strategy...it was scripting!:eek:

Originally posted by Jevesus

You are obviously one of those who have misconceptions about scripts.

"A script" is not "easy to counter" because all scripts are not alike. "A script" can be anything from saying two phrases after eachother to an automated DFA.

You can't claim that "scripts" are "easy to counter" because that would consecutively mean that "any number of arbitrary moves after eachother" are "easy to counter".

If you read this paragraph then move to your next one:

The fact of the matter is that people think of scripts as evil Jedi mindtricks of sorts that turn the balance of the game up-side-down. This, is not the case. Or needn't be anyways, anything that can be used can also be abused.

you are totally contradicting yourself, if a script makes a move harder to counter by being almost 100% effective, then it is an unfair advantage.

so youll turn around and reply to this with 1 or 2 different thoughts such as:

the makers of the game put this option in the game so it dosent matter what I think that makes it ok and fair because I could just go out and script too it bothered me that bad.

This is true, however does it ever occur to anyone that human error can make the difference between whether or not someone kills you or you kill them??? Taking that factor out is removing a BIG part of the game. and yes people realize this and thats a big reason they script, because the less human intervention, the less chance they have of screwing it up and getting killed because of it. If someone runs up to me and pulls me down and BS's me and kills me thats fine I wont complain if they did it with there own hand eye coordination and skills that they got from practicing, but if there using a lamer script then thats just piss poor, I look at it this way, If I wanted to play against bots all damn day I would do just that but since I like variety, I choose to play online where I can compete with other live humans, not there computers playing the game for them.

The fact that I dont script simply put puts me at a disadvantage because of my choice, which makes it unfair in my eyes.

let me point out something about a saber lock script on a Full Force server. If you are using a script you will get beat everytime by a skilled player. Here's what will happen.

Opponent A - uses the script to use attack quickly and use push to get the max out of his saberlock.

Opponent B - Uses his skill to "listen" to someone pushing during saberlock and push just enough to keep himself up.

saber lock is done and neither opponent has won

(at least not yet)

opponent A - is now out of force power, he used it all by scripting.

opponent B - pulls after the saber lock and backstabs opponent A because he cannot block without force power.

person not using a script wins.

most people only see the saber lock. You must think about the game as a whole and not just see the moment you are locked in.

Originally posted by Nim_Cross

Nim_Cross

I NEED to know that script. :eek:

Anyways, do questions about scripting belong here? Probably not, but neither do a LOT of other threads in this forum.

slacker

Anyways, do questions about scripting belong here? Probably not, but neither do a LOT of other threads in this forum.

i agree, either

a) more mods are needed

b) more attention is needed to keep it under control

if lucasforums needs more moderators they should get some

i'm sure there is plenty of eager members, probably some with website experience (like me;))

"scripts" still cannot be "easy to counter" because of the definition of it. furthermore, what is to say that a player that uses scripts spam the same moves allover again? the scripter in question could very well be using a plethora of scripts with dozens of different combinations.

you are confusing the term "dumbsh!t" with "scripter".

Originally posted by Admiral Derski

you are totally contradicting yourself, if a script makes a move harder to counter by being almost 100% effective, then it is an unfair advantage.

Ah, you missunderstand me, I never claimed that "scripts" were _hard_ to counter either, just refuted the claim that all scripts of any kind are "easy to counter". My point was that such a generalization cannot be made on "scripts" because a script is just an arbitrary amount of arbitrary commands after oneanother.

Archived