Home

"Special" attack question

Phunen ey

I know how to do a lot of the "special" attacks, i.e. DFA, Blue Lunge, kick, etc. but I've got a question regarding this one move that I keep accidentally pulling off. I would like to know the key combination that are needed to pull it off when I want to pull it off.

Stances:

I've been able to accidentally pull it off in yellow and red so far

Description:

It is a jumping move whereby the player animation goes from standing, then jumps, feet go above the head and a swipe of the saber comences to the opposing player's cranium, 1/2 twist for the entire flip, and then lands behind the opposing player facing him/her.

What's the correct key combination/sequence I need to know so I can pull this off when I need to?

Also, what's the correct term for this attack?

Thanks in advance for your help

bgc|Phucen-`ey

if you're talking about the red stance special attack, and i assume you are, then there is a trick to it that throws many people off. You'll notice that if you use the key combo that they give you in the manual, you have to jump twice before you start the diving slash. Here's how to do it in one jump:

*hold attack + forward, this should result in an overhead slash

*just before the overhead slash finishes, or is about midway through, jump.

*NOTE: timing here is bloody essential, so don't repeatadly slam your jump key - that'll only make the attack take and extra hop to get started, making it a pretty useless (and easily dodged) attack (not to mention it's harder to time correctly.)

enjoy.

No, it's not the red DFA. I can do that... just can't aim it properly though (another story).

None of what was given here has worked. I have tried all combinations to no avail.

It's the move that looks kinda like an airborne cartwheel and when the feet are above his head he swipes downward while he's over top (directly above) his opponent's head.

Maybe I'm not timing something right or holding something down when I need to be.

Please!! I need more help and guidance. I see people do it every once in a while and it's a usefull tool in battle.

I did it 2 times (I think) thusfar tonight in the middle of battle and I couldn't tell what I pressed and when. I think there may be a strafe button involved somewhere.

I'll keep trying out different combinations of key presses and if I get it I'll post it here.

Keep trying for me.

Thanks

bgc|Phucen-`ey

I know exactly what you're talking about and since a cartwheel is sideways then it would make sense that it would be strafe+jump+attack or it could be foward+strafe+jump+attack like the wall walk but that last one would need a bit more timing

for those that don't get what he is talking about look at the smiley and watch when he jumps left thats kind of like the move we're talking about> :lsduel:

Eheh.. I came back to delete my previous post, only to find i was too late. Ah well.

Thats embarrassing.. now i know what you're talking about, the half twist and downward attack. I was just playing 'the ladder' (get it in the singleplayer map section of jk2files.com - its bloody amazing) and i worked the move out pretty well. I think it's something like the backstab (yeah, that fantastically n00bish move) in that you've got to be facing your target, and be right in front of him/her for it to work. Once you've got the position down, just tap jump, primary attack, and forward, all at the same time. I't works periodically for me when i'm using left or right instead of forward, but the positioning is really pissy.. not really consistant. The move worked best for me in the medium (yellow) stance, i couldn't really get it to work consistantly in red.. i think we can thank the extraordinary speed of the red stance for the wonky timing for this move. So thats my two cents. And i put the pennies in the right slot this time.

Ok, to clear this up once and for all:

The move goes by the following terms:

- yellow finisher

- yellow dfa

- sommersault move

It is done by pressing forward+jump+attack with opponent standing close in front of you. Without opponent standing in front of you, you cannot pull it off.

It is very effective especially on servers that have the Ghoul2 settings enabled.

It is also nice to counter a$$fighters, when someone comes running at you backwards.

It can be countered rather easily with kicks. A player thats already in the animation of the yellow dfa can be kicked all over the place, so be careful.

Just yesterday I found another neat way to counter this move. It happened rather accidantally: My opponent pulled the yellow dfa on me, I did a blue lunge move (blue stance, crouch+forward+attack), diving under his saber and hitting him badly while he was in the air, then immediately going into a blue backstab, hitting him while he was landing behind me and still recovering from the jump. It was versus the end of a long duel so the two moves in a row killed him, it looked gorgeous, just like in the movies... *drool* :naughty:

ahem. ;P

So... enjoy. :D

Originally posted by thehomicidalegg

hit forward, attack, jump at the same time with the with the intended victim close and in your target, i.e. it should turn red

Crosshair doesn't need to be red, i.e. opponent doesn't neccessarily be in the crosshair. E.g. standing in front of the opponent and looking up or at the floor (opponent NOT in the crosshair) does the trick as well.

Originally posted by Mallakai

Im a lot more consistent at doing the move if i look up at my opponent instead of looking diagonally downward, like i tend to do.

I wasn't saying "look at the floor to do the move". But having the opponent iin the crosshair is not neccessary in order to do the move. Just so that people know who wonder why they can do the move only once in a while.

Originally posted by Bluezman

I wasn't saying "look at the floor to do the move".

I should have changed my wording. I dont meam looking at floor, I mean looking in a downward direction instead of looking at them eye level. If my view is tilted slightly downward, like where my view would be centered on their midsection, I seem to have less success at pulling the move off then if I was looking at them at eye level or even tilted above, but that's prob just me :)

Well I guess you guys are right in saying that it is the forward+attack+jump key combination. I played bots last night and tried out the key combos stated above and was fairly successful in doing it. The only thing I noticed was I had to be right up on them, my reticle turns red, and they couldn't move very much. I got it to work only about 25% of the time I intended on doing that move with most of the times using the pull/knockdown to disable them and bring them in close so I can execute the move. I guess I need more practice with it now.

Thank you to all who helped!

bgc|Phucen-`ey

ah, feels good to have that worked out. By the way, try using pull at the apex of your flip.. if you're lucky (and your opponent doesn't happen to have absorb on) the poor git'll fly into the air and land a crumpled mess on the ground.

Originally posted by Nigel_pk

Here's how to do it in one jump:

*hold attack + forward, this should result in an overhead slash

*just before the overhead slash finishes, or is about midway through, jump.

I know it's not what the thread about, but that's still not the "best" way to control your DFA.

What you'll see most people do is begin a red swing, doesn't matter what you're currently doing. Hold the attack button down. Then about halfway through the swing poke jump+forward. If your timing is right you'll pop in DFA.

Basically what you said but the first step is a lot more important, because it means you don't have to be predictable to do a DFA. You can be running backwards and do a DFA. You can be running left, or running right. You can also do it in the middle of a kick, and probably in several other situations.

The obvious advantage to this is it makes it harder for your opponent to predict an incoming DFA.

The backwards DFA is probably my favorite, just backpedal until they chase you, do your swing, then DFA. You alter directions immediatley and hopefully they plow face first into your attack.

originally posted by Xzzy

What you'll see most people do is begin a red swing, doesn't matter what you're currently doing. Hold the attack button down. Then about halfway through the swing poke jump+forward. If your timing is right you'll pop in DFA.

Yes, thats not what the thread was about, i later corrected myself. How you explained the move is essentially how i did.. but i was playing around earlier, and i found that if you gingerly tap slash, forward, and jump all at the same time and you'll get a great dfa, pretty much unpredictable to your opponent. And yes, you're right about backpedaling. Yup, thats about it.

Archived